Overclocking App available in the market!

Search This thread

andonnguyen

Nov 12, 2008
Hey everyone, there is an overclocking app in the market, anyone care to give it a try?

Edit: So I downloaded it lol. Here are some screenshots. BTW, is there anyway I can verify that the cpu freq is actually being adjusted?

*Just for fun I ran neocore to see if it would raise my FPS. lol.

Attachments

• overclock.jpg
    overclock.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 624
  • overclock2.png
    overclock2.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 369
  • overclock3.png
    overclock3.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 372
  • overclock4.png
    overclock4.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 370
  • overclock5.jpg
    overclock5.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 332
  • overclock6.jpg
    overclock6.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:

Gameloft

Apr 2, 2009
just notice the difference in speed. If you notice please post. And its not overclocking its just clocking. Overclocking will be beyond 528 MHz

andonnguyen

Nov 12, 2008
just notice the difference in speed. If you notice please post. And its not overclocking its just clocking. Overclocking will be beyond 528 MHz

The app is called Overclock, you can argue with the developer about the name not me.

Anyways, I do notice a very nice speed increase.

For example, atrackdog would take me at least 20-30 seconds to load my full app list (184 apps)

After installing overclock, it loaded in under 5 seconds.

i'll run other programs, and post my results.

I ran droidgear (game gear emulator) before and after, and I can honestly say it was faster (not a placebo affect).
-Before: droidgear would take over 4 minutes just to get to the menu screen
-After: i was actually able to load a game in under 1 and a half minutes, I even let it sit to run the demo, and it is the fastest ive ever seen an emulator run on this device (compared to NesEmu, and GB emu)

It would probably actually be playable if tweaks were made to the application codebase, and android Open GL stack.

Also, the camera loads instantly after pressing the camera button and via the icon in the home screen.

Last edited:

wootroot

Mar 20, 2009
Glen Burnie
well, i was too, and then i downloaded it and said "aahh, what the hell, if i break mine, ill just take my wifes haha..." probably not the best of plans but i installed it anyway

sooo i havnt burnt up my phone yet, but here is my issue with the app, does the app only work untill you reboot your phone?
because when i reboot my phone, it goes back to the default speed according to the app

also, my phone tends to hang up (stuck on the apps screen, no buttons work, screen wont rotate, power button wont shut screen off) when using the 528MHz

so far, i havnt found a reason to pay a dollar for it, but ill keep testing

[UPDATE]

resolution for all below tests is 320 x 480

i tried neocore like posted above, using the mid level setting, and i actually did raise my fps from
DEFAULT CPU (248 MHz): 20.5 (with sound off)
384 MHz: 25.0! (with sound off)
DEFAULT CPU (248 MHz): 14.5 (with sound on)
384 MHz: 20.8 (with sound on)

still havnt gotten the fast speed to work yet, but im still trying to figure that out, on another note, sweeter home does seem to load a little faster

[UPDATE]
Incase you didnt see my sig, im not running on a ADP1 phone, so that might by why the fastest setting doesnt work for me, but so far 384MHz is making a noticeable difference with NEOCORE and SWEETER HOME

The app is called Overclock, you can argue with the developer about the name not me.

Anyways, I do notice a very nice speed increase.

Also, the camera loads instantly after pressing the camera button and via the icon in the home screen.

i use snap photo, which used to take FOREVER to load up on my g1 using the camera button, its significantly faster using the 384MHz setting, good observation

Ok, so so far here is a list of things ive noticed (using 384MHz vs 248MHz):

-FPS in NEOCORE increased on adverage 5 to 6 fps
-Sweeter Home doesnt lag NEARLY as much as it used to (ALOT less force closes)
-Snap Photo doesnt take a month to load using the camera button
-G1 Wakes up properly which was a issue my g1 (and others on this forum) had
-Even though the app says it will "kill" the battery, using 384MHz during normal use of the phone isnt "killing" my battery, however, doom (while runs better (even with sound on)) seems to be dropping my battery level faster, but the game is running faster, which is the trade off id expect when running these apps together

Last edited by a moderator:

speoples20

Jun 10, 2007
At this point is there really a need? My phone doesnt lag that much that I need to over clock not to mention my battery life sucks already.

wootroot

Mar 20, 2009
Glen Burnie
At this point is there really a need? My phone doesnt lag that much that I need to over clock not to mention my battery life sucks already.

all of our battery life sucks unless you have the extended battery, im not getting THAT big of a battery drain according to the system monitor app, and it DOES make a difference on g1's that have lag issues (running tons of apps like i do)

in other threads, people have complained about the g1 not waking up quickly sometimes, ive yet to have that issue since ive clocked mine up to the 384MHz setting

andonnguyen

Nov 12, 2008
@woot, you do know that the default cpu freq on the G1 is ~384mHz. So you might want to change in your sig that you're overclocked to 384mHz lol.

The program installs a script on your sd card called ocx_tmp.sh and adjusts it that way, it'll write to /system as -rw (from what I've discussed with someone) would probably cause instability.

The program will reset the cpu freq back down to 384mHz after the phone sleeps. You can verify this in terminal emulator by typing:

$su
#cat /proc/cpuinfo

Try it before and after setting the cpu freq in overclock and you'll see what I mean =)

ivanmmj

Retired Moderator
Jan 3, 2007
I thought the the CPU ran at 528 MHz by default? Or is it clocked dynamically and this forces it?

wootroot

Mar 20, 2009
Glen Burnie

@woot, you do know that the default cpu freq on the G1 is ~384mHz. So you might want to change in your sig that you're overclocked to 384mHz lol.
im not as familiar with clocking/overclocking so i wasnt sure if i was clocking it to 384, overclocking it to 384, or what, so what would be the proper thing to put in my sig? lol because according to my first quote, true overclocking wouldnt be untill i went beyond 528, so from the view of my first quote, im not OVERclocking, im clocking, wheras your saying im overclocked

Last edited:

wootroot

Mar 20, 2009
Glen Burnie
The program will reset the cpu freq back down to 384mHz after the phone sleeps. You can verify this in terminal emulator by typing:

$su
#cat /proc/cpuinfo

so is it infact the program thats changing the cpu freq or is it the phone? if its the program, is this to avoid overworking the cpu without the demand?

Last edited:

damnoregonian

Jun 28, 2007
Seattle
I thought the the CPU ran at 528 MHz by default? Or is it clocked dynamically and this forces it?

no, it runs at 384 by default, and clocks down even lower in the idle loop.

i am curious how this program works, as the normal cpufreq interfaces are not compiled in the kernel.

i've been running my phone for several months now at 528mhz, at a fairly minimal detriment to battery life.
i did however notice that without modifying the idle loop, the amount of cpu frequency switches even while the phone is not sleeping drops your average clock within a 10 second period to somewhere closer to 400mhz.

after modifying the idle loop to not switch frequency so often, i was able to get 27.4fps out of neocore w/o sound, and 22.7fps w/ sound.

my overall caffeine benchmark score was 582.

battery life impact is there, but fairly small. phone lasts for about a day and a half now where it used to last for sometimes 2. under heavy use, this is of course dramatically reduced.

gui fluidity is definitely increased, and sluggishness between app switches and when the translucent app drawer opens up is gone. i like it, but to the average person there probably is no need to do it.

keep in mind this is also not overclocking the cpu, it's clocking it to its default spec. as it is an embedded arm, it is designed to run hot, so i guarantee you are in no danger of hurting your phone.

also, do not listen to people that claim there could be no gain from overclocking, just because the bus speed is slower than the cpu speed does NOT mean there will be no improvement in system performance. if that were the case, there'd be no use for 4ghz desktop processors.
cache still runs full speed, and common execution paths stay in cache meaning no prefetch from system memory, meaning BIG improvement in many cases. (that's why cache exists.)

Last edited:

wootroot

Mar 20, 2009
Glen Burnie
no, it runs at 384 by default, and clocks down even lower in the idle loop.

i am curious how this program works, as the normal cpufreq interfaces are not compiled in the kernel.

i've been running my phone for several months now at 528mhz, at a fairly minimal detriment to battery life.
i did however notice that without modifying the idle loop, the amount of cpu frequency switches even while the phone is not sleeping drops your average clock within a 10 second period to somewhere closer to 400mhz.

after modifying the idle loop to not switch frequency so often, i was able to get 27.4fps out of neocore w/o sound, and 22.7fps w/ sound.

gui fluidity and responsiveness is greatly improved. sluggishness if app switching and the translucent app drawer are completely gone.

for many i imagine this means there isn't really any reason to clock the cpu up to its stock speed, but to each their own.

my overall caffeine benchmark score was 582.

battery life impact is there, but fairly small. phone lasts for about a day and a half now where it used to last for sometimes 2. under heavy use, this is of course dramatically reduced.

care to write up a how-to for getting the 582 consistantly and changing the idle loop?

Jun 15, 2007
Holy crap. Used this @528MHz with Haykuro's version 4.5 apps to sd ROM and the osk works SO MUCH BETTER!!!! Also I got 25.6 fps on neocore... very smooth

damnoregonian

Jun 28, 2007
Seattle
care to write up a how-to for getting the 582 consistantly and changing the idle loop?

writeup? no. it's a big process involving the android dev environment, a modified version of mkbootimg and unyaffs.

i will gladly post the kernel modifications for those who want to recompile the kernel to do so.

the bootloader sets the clock speed, and the idle loop simply clocks down to a preset and back up to whatever it was previously after x milliseconds of inactivity (not to be confused with sleep) it's kind of a poor man's cpufreq arbitrator.

so on top of tweaking the idle loop to not drop down as often, you also have to explicitly set the frequency in the kernel upon bootup, or it will bet set at what it thinks is full speed, which is 384.

ivanmmj

Retired Moderator
Jan 3, 2007
A modded version of JF's ROM would ROM.
I DO notice the sluggishness and it bugs the heck out of me. (I switched from a WING with a 200MHz CPU, and although it IS faster than the wing, it doesn't seem significantly faster and seems to much slower when I open up the camera...

Last edited:

wootroot

Mar 20, 2009
Glen Burnie
writeup? no. it's a big process involving the android dev environment, a modified version of mkbootimg and unyaffs.

i will gladly post the kernel modifications for those who want to recompile the kernel to do so.

the bootloader sets the clock speed, and the idle loop simply clocks down to a preset and back up to whatever it was previously after x milliseconds of inactivity (not to be confused with sleep) it's kind of a poor man's cpufreq arbitrator.

so on top of tweaking the idle loop to not drop down as often, you also have to explicitly set the frequency in the kernel upon bootup, or it will bet set at what it thinks is full speed, which is 384.

that involved eh?
thanks for this post though, now i understand more about the idle loop and why the cpu freq resets with each reboot

maybe someone can take this stuff further like he said, that kind of stuff would be worth the dollar, imo more than a dollar

damnoregonian

Jun 28, 2007
Seattle
well... i don't mind providing basic procedure and source, i just don't want to get dragged into level 1 support of the procedure.

i'll go ahead and package up some source, prebuilt boot images based on JF's RC33 (which is what i run) and a basic procedure.