• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Overdrive for public library ebooks

Search This thread

jrec

Jun 12, 2008
Just wanted to let you know that the Overdrive reader for public library ebooks works on the Nook STR.

Here are some miscellaneous tips:
  • Some libraries don't offer free ebooks. I live in California, and went to the library in the county south of where I live to get a membership in a library that has free ebooks.
  • I use Opera Mini with Overdrive on the Nook STR. This is for browsing books and downloading them. Overdrive just reads them.
  • For the most part I find it better to browse on my laptop using the same account, check out on the laptop, then use Opera Mini to download on the Nook STR.
  • I've been saving the downloaded files to the Adobe Digital Editions folder on the SD card instead of to the default directory provided by Opera Mini.
  • You need a free Adobe Digital Editions account to use Overdrive.
  • Overall, this system is considerably more cumbersome than using the Nook (or Kindle) ecosystem, but I love the free pricing!

Renate

Inactive Recognized Dev / Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2012
Boston
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
Unless I'm wrong, the OverDrive apps use a different DRM than the native Nook Reader.

I put the OverDrive app on my Nook so that I could download books from my library directly.
It didn't seem that I could open those books in the native Reader.

I find the OverDrive reader to be more disruptive with page turns.

A tangent: I'd like to know exactly how the native Reader does page turns.

cbay

Nov 1, 2007
Unless I'm wrong, the OverDrive apps use a different DRM than the native Nook Reader.

I put the OverDrive app on my Nook so that I could download books from my library directly.
It didn't seem that I could open those books in the native Reader.

I find the OverDrive reader to be more disruptive with page turns.

A tangent: I'd like to know exactly how the native Reader does page turns.

Try Aldiko, download using Opera and open using Aldiko. I find it better than Overdrive. The latest Aldiko does not seem to work for me, but an older one from the aldiko website works.

--