• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Overheating issues

Search This thread

k0nkuzh0n

Jan 22, 2011
Anyone else having issues using pop-up view/multi window? My phone force closes the pop-up window and says the phone is too hot, but it doesn't really feel very hot. I never had this issue with my S20 unless I was at the beach.

SiNJiN76

Sep 14, 2009
It happened to me when I first used the phone (phone was downloading stuff)... hadn't happened since. But I was surprised that it happened.

k0nkuzh0n

Jan 22, 2011
looks like I'm not the only one

Post Nine

Sep 1, 2020

k0nkuzh0n

Jan 22, 2011
The question is, how many times did he run the Geekbench?
Unless he is in a sauna, it shouldn't matter. Phone isn't even charging and brightness doesn't seem to be that high. My S20 would ONLY reach these temperatures (Battery over 41C) at the beach, in direct sunlight, 90*F+ outside. Never sitting at home. I think the only reason this isn't a HUGE topic right now is because most people don't use multi-window functionality often. Its not that the phone feels incredibly hot. If you don't use pop-up windows, you may never notice it.

edit: Try using an app that overlays the battery temp. I'm using CpuFloat and only have it display CPU temp, GPU load and battery temp.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Something is running in the background or it's a buggy apk sucking up cpu cycles.
Find it as it's chewing up your battery for nothing...

If you done any major firmware updates and haven't done a factory reset, do so now.
Some have reported Smart Switch transfers to cause system misconfigurations.
Try clearing the system cache.
Try clearing system logs, clearing Goggle Play Services/Backup Transport and Framework data.
Try updating all system apks or going back to factory load versions.
Try turning off all power management as it can create conflicts.
If you know which app is causing it, troubleshoot it and it's related dependencies. Avoid using it if that gets it done... a hot running Android is an unhappy Android.
Play with it until you find the root cause(s).

k0nkuzh0n

Jan 22, 2011
I've done all of that. I never use 'smart switch'. The phone just runs hot, compared to the tolerance for pop-up view/multi window. Sadly I've just accepted that it is a function that isn't completely useable anymore.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I've done all of that. I never use 'smart switch'. The phone just runs hot, compared to the tolerance for pop-up view/multi window. Sadly I've just accepted that it is a function that isn't completely useable anymore.
Keep looking.
Took close to a year to sort out my stock 10+ but I did. It runs very well now.
Current load is about 10 months old.
No way I'm "upgrading" from Pie for this device🤣

k0nkuzh0n

Jan 22, 2011
Keep looking.
Took close to a year to sort out my stock 10+ but I did. It runs very well now.
Current load is about 10 months old.
No way I'm "upgrading" from Pie for this device🤣
its just the phone, nothing I can do about it. Didn't have the issue doing the same exact stuff on the S20. I tested it quite extensively for 2 weeks. 40*C isn't even really that hot, but its 'too hot' for multi window.