Search This thread

furquim97

Jun 16, 2021
I bought my first Samsung phone in over 10 years, the Samsung S20 FE 4G with the Snapdragon chipset.

To my surprise the device is heating up very quickly while in use:
With light use, like messaging apps the CPU stays around 37 to 49°C,
While gaming it stays around 47 to 50°C+ (I believe the 60°C was the biggest temperature spike).

I've heard people saying that transferring data from your older phone via Smart Switch may cause this heating issue, but I don't think that should be a issue.

Lastly, I have no clue on how weather affects the phone's temperature.

Despite being winter, we're having temperatures around 40°C where I live, but even when the night comes and the temperature drops to around 20°C (right now it's 26°C and the CPU temperature is around 40°C, while I'm listening to music via Bluetooth and (re)writing this post) my phone still heats up (just not as much as in the rest of the day).

I think it's worth mentioning that the CPU temperature is also changing quickly, I don't know if that's normal or not but for instance, when I switch from one app to another, if the app I'm using to measure the device temperature (CPU Monitor) is to be believed, the temperature jumps some 2 to 5°C. It usually comes back down again, but I really don't know if that's normal.

I went to the Samsung store today, they checked, did some tests, and said that the temperature was at normal range, but they said that the temperature while switching between apps was a little strange.

They also said that their system detected a temperature spike caused by Fine Lock on the day that I bought the phone, which I find weird since it's only a launcher to the Good Lock apps, but nevertheless they advised me to uninstall it and keep monitoring the temperature for a few more days, and that if the device gets too hot (over 60°C), that I should go back again and ask for a replacement.

Anyway, should I give some time, should I worry about it, should I take it back to the store?

Orcam

Aug 9, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
I have the same model as you and I haven't experienced any of the symptoms you are talking about. If I were you I'd return it and get another one. At least then you can be sure if it is normal or a defective device.

Reactions: furquim97

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
SmartSwitch isn't that smart especially between different OS's/devices.
I think you better start from the beginning...

Backup your contacts etc to the PC using cut/copy plus at least one other hdd.
Factory reset. Reload from scratch. Run factory loaded versions; do not update any at first.
Avoid enabling any power management at least at first.
See what you got and go from there.

It's likely not hardware at all but a bad configuration. Common with Samsungs and correctable.

furquim97

Jun 16, 2021
I have the same model as you and I haven't experienced any of the symptoms you are talking about. If I were you I'd return it and get another one. At least then you can be sure if it is normal or a defective device.
Thank you. I'm thinking about doing it. I've talked to some S20 FE owners who live in my country (which is a very hot country) and they said that the device temperatures are basically the same as theirs, but at the same time I'm still worried about it's long term effects since I plan to keep this phone for at least two years.

Factory reset. Reload from scratch. Run factory loaded versions; do not update any at first.

It's likely not hardware at all but a bad configuration. Common with Samsungs and correctable.
Thank you, I did what you told me (except for flashing the factory stock ROM since I couldn't find it), I've only restored the apps using the Google backup, but didn't restore my settings. I've also did a mild debloat of the phone (removed Bixby and the Facebook apps) and while using the phone to browse through social media doesn't heat the phone as much as it used to, it still heats up more or less the same during gaming, so I'm guessing that might be normal.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Depending on how CPU cycle intensive the game is, it could normally use a fair amount of power.

Running background apps can make it noticeable worse though.
Try temporarily disabling Google play Services and see if that helps.

furquim97

Jun 16, 2021
Depending on how CPU cycle intensive the game is, it could normally use a fair amount of power.

It's Honking Impact 3rd, it's not intensive like PUBG or something like that, but can be intensive depending on the game mode. It runs at 53°C max. I found out that one of the apps that I was using to measure the temperature apparently only shows the temperature of the hottest CPU core, that's why the temperature sometimes shoot up to 60°C whenever I took a screenshot for example, and then came back down to around 50°C.

But I'll try disabling Play Services and playing again.

Do you know if those temperatures are safe btw? Around 50°C while I'm gaming.

The battery's temperature doesn't go past 40°C, in fact I don't even think I've ever seen it getting to 40°C.

Anyway, thank you very much.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
You're welcome. The Farenheit is scaled better for real world use.
140F is well within tolerance for the CPU/mobo as long as the battery doesn't get hotter than that. I don't let my battery go beyond 103F.

The CPU/mobo can handle up to probably 165F but it's best never to push it that hot as auto thermal shutdown doesn't always work in time to save the components that are running hot and have a sudden additional power usage spike.
Really the phone shouldn't feel hot... it's killing the battery too. Track them down.

If it feels warm when using the browser, something(s) are running in the background driving it up.
Any cloud apps, including Google backup Transport, Framework and Google Firebase.
Ditch any trashware apps like WhatsApp, Twitter, Instagram etc.

I'm using my 10+ in a case at a 75F ambient air temp browsing with a CPU temp of 89F right now. It is stock but heavily optimized.

furquim97

Jun 16, 2021
140F is well within tolerance for the CPU/mobo as long as the battery doesn't get hotter than that. I don't let my battery go beyond 103F.

The CPU/mobo can handle up to probably 165F but it's best never to push it that hot as auto thermal shutdown doesn't always work in time to save the components that are running hot and have a sudden additional power usage spike.
Really the phone shouldn't feel hot... it's killing the battery too. Track them down.

If it feels warm when using the browser, something(s) are running in the background driving it up.
Any cloud apps, including Google backup Transport, Framework and Google Firebase.

I'm using my 10+ in a case at a 75F ambient air temp browsing with a CPU temp of 89F right now. It is stock but heavily optimized.
The phone doesn't feel hot, unless I'm playing a game, depending on the game it gets somewhat hot.

It's been colder in my city these past two days, but tomorrow we'll have a temperature that's closer to normal. If the phone manages to stay in an acceptable temperature range I'll keep it, if not, I'll return it to the store and see what I can get done.

My old phone didn't have a plastic back, so feeling the phone warm is a new thing for me.

Most Google apps are disabled, I only use WhatsApp to talk to my family, I have Instagram installed but I don't even remember when it was the last time I've used it (I put it on deep sleep also).

Thank you very much once again.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Using power management can cause erratic behavior and sometimes increased power usage especially if set globally.
Developer options>standby apps, all buckets should show as active otherwise power management is running.

furquim97

Jun 16, 2021
Using power management can cause erratic behavior and sometimes increased power usage especially if set globally.
Developer options>standby apps, all buckets should show as active otherwise power management is running.
With Power Management you mean the Background Usage Limits from the Device Care app?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
With Power Management you mean the Background Usage Limits from the Device Care app?
Yeap. I have a 10+ running on Pie.
Your may get different results but it's a known source of instability and trouble.

This is how mine is configured.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210923-162412_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20210923-162412_Device care.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 68

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I'll try it. Thank you once again.
Once you do that you need to track down the trouble makers and deal with each on a case by case basis. Sometimes simply cleaning the system memory in Device Care can work wonders. Keep open apps to a minimum.

Here's the old version of Device Care. It uses 360° which cleans very well but is CCP junk.
To safely use it use Karma Firewall* to block its internet access. It will still run normally.
Before uninstalling your current version use Apk Export** to make a installable copy, just in case.

*freeware, uses almost no battery
**freeware that is very useful to backup all your apps and updates for future use... ditch Playstore for reloads

Attachments

• Device care_com.samsung.android.lool.apk
    14.1 MB · Views: 10

furquim97

Jun 16, 2021
Once you do that you need to track down the trouble makers and deal with each on a case by case basis. Sometimes simply cleaning the system memory in Device Care can work wonders. Keep open apps to a minimum.

Here's the old version of Device Care. It uses 360° which cleans very well but is CCP junk.
To safely use it use Karma Firewall* to block its internet access. It will still run normally.
Before uninstalling your current version use Apk Export** to make a installable copy, just in case.

*freeware, uses almost no battery
**freeware that is very useful to backup all your apps and updates for future use... ditch Playstore for reloads
Thanks. But I can't uninstall the current Device Care app. Is it safe to do it via adb?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I did it but now all my apps under Standby Apps are set as "Active" and I can't change it. Won't this consume more battery?
This is normal. Just because their bucket state is marked as active doesn't mean they are running. It simple means Android is no longer managing them by assigning a bucket state to them and so on. Google it... it sounds like a great idea but it never worked well for me in practice. Android still manages the apps with it off less the added resource burden of this system.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Thanks. But I can't uninstall the current Device Care app. Is it safe to do it via adb?
Sorry. You are correct.
I got rid of the updated version by doing a factory reset. You can try loading the older version by first force stopping the loaded version. It may worked... try this first.

I guess a adb edit would allow you to disable the current one. If the older one will load is another question.

furquim97

Jun 16, 2021
This is normal. Just because their bucket state is marked as active doesn't mean they are running. It simple means Android is no longer managing them by assigning a bucket state to them and so on. Google it... it sounds like a great idea but it never worked well for me in practice. Android still manages the apps with it off less the added resource burden of this system.
Oh, I get it. Thanks.

Sorry. You are correct.
I got rid of the updated version by doing a factory reset. You can try loading the older version by first force stopping the loaded version. It may worked... try this first.

I guess a adb edit would allow you to disable the current one. If the older one will load is another question.
I'll see what I can do.

I'll also test the phone again tomorrow when the weather in my city will return to normal. If everything goes well I'll keep the phone, if not I'll have to take it to the store and see what they offer me, a replacement, another device, I really don't know how it works in this particular store that I bought.

Anyway, thank you very much, you've been very helpful!

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
My 10+ was a battery guzzling hot running hog before I optimized it. It took some time and effort🤣
Today you never guess it is that same phone.

If there's any doubts get a refund. It could be hardware, even a heat sink or pipe issue.
That said this is a commonly seen problem that has nothing to do with hardware in Samsungs.
Do some Google searches for that device and hot running issues. See what you find.

furquim97

Jun 16, 2021
My 10+ was a battery guzzling hot running hog before I optimized it. It took some time and effort🤣
Today you never guess it is that same phone.

If there's any doubts get a refund. It could be hardware, even a heat sink or pipe issue.
That said this is a commonly seen problem that has nothing to do with hardware in Samsungs.
Do some Google searches for that device and hot running issues. See what you find.
I can relate. I had a Xiaomi before this one, and the stock ROM was plagued with app killing and battery drain. I'm glad you managed to work it out, all I had to do was switch to a custom ROM.

I've tested the same game again today since the temperature has gone back to normal where I live, and while the CPU temperatures are in acceptable range, the battery temperature got to 40°C/104°F.

I did some research regarding overheating on this phone and it's always the same thing, some have it like I do, while others say the phone doesn't even warm up the palm of their hands. So I don't know if its a configuration issue or if there are a lot of defective devices out there.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thank you. I'm thinking about doing it. I've talked to some S20 FE owners who live in my country (which is a very hot country) and they said that the device temperatures are basically the same as theirs, but at the same time I'm still worried about it's long term effects since I plan to keep this phone for at least two years.

Thank you, I did what you told me (except for flashing the factory stock ROM since I couldn't find it), I've only restored the apps using the Google backup, but didn't restore my settings. I've also did a mild debloat of the phone (removed Bixby and the Facebook apps) and while using the phone to browse through social media doesn't heat the phone as much as it used to, it still heats up more or less the same during gaming, so I'm guessing that might be normal.