Question Overnight battery drain issue

Search This thread

UnknownWolf

Feb 13, 2020
I am totally in love with my GW4 (Classic 46mm Model) as it's my first smartwatch but there is still one thing that bothers me, the unreasonable battery drain overnight. I charged up my watch last night, put the watch on my desk, came back in the morning and saw about 10% battery drain in 8 hours! That's insane considering the fact that I've disabled everything and even enabled battery saver, I thought after all these years I can finally get a full fledged Wear OS smartwatch and be happy with the battery but Wear OS is still the same OS as it was.

Last edited:
Reactions: spart0n

UnknownWolf

Feb 13, 2020
And the funny fact is that the battery life is reasonably good when you actually using the watch, but as soon as you put it away it starts to drink juice weirdly, looks like there is no deep sleep kicking in no matter what, even disabling everything and enabling airplane mode.

fliptwister

May 12, 2010
I am totally in love with my GW4 as it's my first smartwatch but there is still one thing that bothers me, the unreasonable battery drain overnight. I charged up my watch last night, put the watch on my desk, came back in the morning and saw about 10% battery drain in 8 hours! That's insane considering the fact that I've disabled everything and even enabled battery saver, I thought after all these years I can finally get a full fledged Wear OS smartwatch and be happy with the battery but Wear OS is still the same OS as it was.
Which version/size do you have? How many times have you fully charged the watch? I have Classic 46mm. My battery drains 4 -6 % during the night. I have watch on my wrist when I sleep. I always put watch into bedtime mode before I go to bed. I don't disable anything or put on power saving mode. I think the bedtime mode simply turns off notifications and stops watch face from automatically turning on.

Reactions: fuzz_33594

UnknownWolf

Feb 13, 2020
Which version/size do you have? How many times have you fully charged the watch? I have Classic 46mm. My battery drains 4 -6 % during the night. I have watch on my wrist when I sleep. I always put watch into bedtime mode before I go to bed. I don't disable anything or put on power saving mode. I think the bedtime mode simply turns off notifications and stops watch face from automatically turning on.
Oh sorry for not mentioning it, It's the same as yours classic 46mm. I have the watch for almost 1 week now but I always charge it whenever it gets to 50% so it's a half cycle charge. Do you think I should let it fully discharged and recharge it for a full cycle?

fliptwister

May 12, 2010
Oh sorry for not mentioning it, It's the same as yours classic 46mm. I have the watch for almost 1 week now but I always charge it whenever it gets to 50% so it's a half cycle charge. Do you think I should let it fully discharged and recharge it for a full cycle?
It seems to me that the battery lasted longer after doing some full cycle charges but I could be wrong. I definitely have seen improvement in battery life since the first few days I had watch. Not sure what it is.

caesium2

Jun 17, 2008
LG G5
Xiaomi Mi 9 SE
I've got the same issue. I thought it was the sleep tracking but I was wrong
How do you know it was not sleep tracking?
For me, I went to bed yesterday with almost 100% battery. The overnight drain was 15%, flight mode enabled, good night mode enabled and spO2 while sleeping on.
My watch is 40mm, BT modell.
Tonight I will try only the automatic good night mode.
What about Bluetooth when my phone is in airplane mode? Will it consume more battery searching for the device? My wifi will also be disabled in the night...

I am seeing this same thing

13% drain with airplane mode, good night mode, and battery saver modes on.

13-14% drain with battery saver mode and good night mode on.

This is for an 8 hour window.

Using the watch during the day, the battery does seem to last longer and I don't see the drain, even when using it to track workouts and such.

fliptwister

May 12, 2010
Last night my battery used 11%. I'm not sure what the difference is. I know I have been in the 4-6% range in the past but I always do not pay attention. Possibly related to how fully charged the watch is. Why do we think 10% is bad? I did a search on-line and I have to say that 10% seems very good compared to some other watches. The reality for me as that I'm typically getting 2 days plus on a charge unless I'm heavy on GPS. Currently I'm at 50% and I charged the watch 1 day and 9 hours ago. I came from a GW1 which had significantly more battery time but I'm still very happy with the GW4.

jkpsaras

Jul 28, 2007
Independence
I am totally in love with my GW4 (Classic 46mm Model) as it's my first smartwatch but there is still one thing that bothers me, the unreasonable battery drain overnight. I charged up my watch last night, put the watch on my desk, came back in the morning and saw about 10% battery drain in 8 hours! That's insane considering the fact that I've disabled everything and even enabled battery saver, I thought after all these years I can finally get a full fledged Wear OS smartwatch and be happy with the battery but Wear OS is still the same OS as it was.
If your watch is on your desk and turned on, it's constantly searching for your wrist. If you are not wearing it, turn it off.

Reactions: evgeni.lalov

exente

Mar 23, 2008
I have the same issue about battery drain.
I lose between 15-20% each night with everything off (no SpO2, no snoring, etc)

I have the LTE 46 classic model

But based on people and comments I'm guessing the issue comes because I'm not using a Samsung phone and bed time is not synced with the watch and is still "online" all the night

adj998

Geez I thought my 3-5 percent drain was horrible. I have the 44mm Bluetooth only model. The first night it drained horrible but I had every sensor on. I noticed I got much better battery after disabling location. I've had mine paired since 7am this morning (it's now 3pm) responding to texts, wifi on and using Spotify on it at 75 percent brightness and it's at 79 percent now. Maybe I got lucky or something? The only sensors I have are the step counter as well as heart rate when resting more than 10 minutes and I never like to use battery saver mode on mine

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210908-151207_Galaxy Watch4 Plugin.jpg
    Screenshot_20210908-151207_Galaxy Watch4 Plugin.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 79

caesium2

Jun 17, 2008
LG G5
Xiaomi Mi 9 SE
Second night and I got about 20% drain overnight with everything turned on. I got a similar battery consumption like adj998. Spotify on first place.
I will try do disable GPS tonight and see if anything changes, but I guess it's a normal behaviour. One thing I could try is to turn the spO2 sensor off.

fliptwister

May 12, 2010
Read somewhere that unlocked ADB is the culprit. So I have unlocked it.
Let me watch how it helps my 20% overnight drain.
Interesting. I'm betting that this drain is related to certain apps as well. When I did my post yesterday about the 11% drain the previous night I noticed the Altimeter app was listed at 4.5%. I immediately uninstalled this app. I had used it once the previous day and apparently it was still using battery. Results: much battery time last night. I would say 3%. In fact, when I looked earlier this morning I still had 41% battery. Yesterday morning I was at 50%. 25 hours and 9% battery used. I have not been very active these last couple days (long days at work). Still putting in about 5,000 steps a day. I have notifications on (gmail, texts, meesenger), use bedtime mode, spO2 sensor off, and do not have watch always on.
watch battery comparison.jpg

Reactions: sjgoel

sjgoel

Interesting. I'm betting that this drain is related to certain apps as well. When I did my post yesterday about the 11% drain the previous night I noticed the Altimeter app was listed at 4.5%. I immediately uninstalled this app. I had used it once the previous day and apparently it was still using battery. Results: much battery time last night. I would say 3%. In fact, when I looked earlier this morning I still had 41% battery. Yesterday morning I was at 50%. 25 hours and 9% battery used. I have not been very active these last couple days (long days at work). Still putting in about 5,000 steps a day. I have notifications on (gmail, texts, meesenger), use bedtime mode, spO2 sensor off, and do not have watch always on. View attachment 5405809
Read on Reddit that altimeter drain was a known issue, in earlier models as well.

fliptwister

May 12, 2010
With people that are having excessive battery drain on their watch: are there any apps which are listed in Wear app -> Watch settings -> Battery that seem like a high percent of battery usage?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've got the same issue. I thought it was the sleep tracking but I was wrong
    I am totally in love with my GW4 as it's my first smartwatch but there is still one thing that bothers me, the unreasonable battery drain overnight. I charged up my watch last night, put the watch on my desk, came back in the morning and saw about 10% battery drain in 8 hours! That's insane considering the fact that I've disabled everything and even enabled battery saver, I thought after all these years I can finally get a full fledged Wear OS smartwatch and be happy with the battery but Wear OS is still the same OS as it was.
    If your watch is on your desk and turned on, it's constantly searching for your wrist. If you are not wearing it, turn it off.
    Read somewhere that unlocked ADB is the culprit. So I have unlocked it.
    Let me watch how it helps my 20% overnight drain.
    Interesting. I'm betting that this drain is related to certain apps as well. When I did my post yesterday about the 11% drain the previous night I noticed the Altimeter app was listed at 4.5%. I immediately uninstalled this app. I had used it once the previous day and apparently it was still using battery. Results: much battery time last night. I would say 3%. In fact, when I looked earlier this morning I still had 41% battery. Yesterday morning I was at 50%. 25 hours and 9% battery used. I have not been very active these last couple days (long days at work). Still putting in about 5,000 steps a day. I have notifications on (gmail, texts, meesenger), use bedtime mode, spO2 sensor off, and do not have watch always on.
    watch battery comparison.jpg