Ownice or Teyes android 10 car multimedia?

Search This thread

ivosto

Aug 5, 2021
Hello, which brand would you recommend ? I've been reading topics here and narrowed it down to maybe those two. It is for Opel Insignia 2008 . I browsed some "tesla" style with the bigger screen which replaces my whole front panel of the cd which controls the partonic and has sport and tour buttons and they say it doesn't support them. Since my old cd is behind the buttons and the new one is only where the screen is , i disconnect the old one, will those tour and sport buttons work in a normal smaller multimedia system? Thanks in advance

ownice:
teyes:

what i want most from this upgrade is a seamless and easy connection of my phone to the car - listening to spotify via bluetooth. Android auto to use the phone trough the multimedia would be nice. I see those units provide fast charging via USB which is also neat. I want fast boot ups and not to drain my battery - i see this mentioned a lot. And hopefully not to lose any options for my car like comfort settings - sport, tour buttons, steering wheel buttons.

Last edited:

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
Hello, which brand would you recommend ? I've been reading topics here and narrowed it down to maybe those two. It is for Opel Insignia 2008 . I browsed some "tesla" style with the bigger screen which replaces my whole front panel of the cd which controls the partonic and has sport and tour buttons and they say it doesn't support them. Since my old cd is behind the buttons and the new one is only where the screen is , i disconnect the old one, will those tour and sport buttons work in a normal smaller multimedia system? Thanks in advance

ownice:
teyes:

what i want most from this upgrade is a seamless and easy connection of my phone to the car - listening to spotify via bluetooth. Android auto to use the phone trough the multimedia would be nice. I see those units provide fast charging via USB which is also neat. I want fast boot ups and not to drain my battery - i see this mentioned a lot. And hopefully not to lose any options for my car like comfort settings - sport, tour buttons, steering wheel buttons.

"Android auto to use the phone trough the multimedia would be nice."
Neither of these are Android Auto.

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
github.com
I normally don't answer these kind of topics as it is a never ending story, but maybe I or others can use it to copy around in likewise questions.
They are more or less the same when it comes to the software. They are FYT based and have support for the several versions of hardware.

But anyway, for all units be it FYT based, MTCx, TSx, AC8227, etc., etc., FIRST compare the hardware:

Check whether the screen is TFT/IPS/QLED (in increasing quality=readability). Go for nothing less than 1280x720 (1024x600 is not good enough anymore, but in the end it is up to you).

Check which FM-chip (from low to high):
  1. TDA7786x or Philips (NXP) TEF6851 => budget chip without RDS.
  2. TDA7708x => middle segment but good enough
  3. Philips (NXP) TEF6686 => top FM chip

Check which audio chip (low to high):
  1. TDA7388 -> budget, not good.
  2. TDA7850/TDA7851: Both good. 7851 has slightly less power output with slightly less heat dissipation. Less chance of overheating. The TDA7851 has almost everywhere been replaced with the TDA7838, which should be identical in quality/performance (no idea, google around)
DSP: nowadays mostly ROHM BU32107. (Earlier ADAU chips are not so good but seem only to be used in MTCx units.)

CPU (fast to slow): UIS7862 (Unisoc ums512), SC9853i and PX6, PX5 AC8257, PX30, AC8237 and PX3.
This order is a bit discussable, but the uis7862 is definitely the fastest currently.

Memory: minimal 2GB, 4GB is fine. Some prefer 6GB but that is actually not necessary.

Now back to the FYT models you are mentioning. They are more or less comparable. It "seems" T'eyes support is better, but I leave that to the owners (Don't want to start a flame here ;))

what i want most from this upgrade is a seamless and easy connection of my phone to the car - listening to spotify via bluetooth. Android auto to use the phone trough the multimedia would be nice.
What? Android Auto?
You are going to buy such an expensive high-power full-fledged full functional Android unit and use it as a cheap emulator for the restricted Android Auto?????

I really, really don't understand these kind of arguments. If you want to use Android Auto, for which you indeed sometimes need to pay separately, then choose a cheap unit which supports this as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: marchnz

Bob_Sanders

Android Auto is crap

When people think about buying these android head units I don't think they quite get the idea that these are pretty much full-on android tablets complete with their own android operating system. There really is no need to run android auto. Things like spotify.... youtube... siriusxm... etc... can be downloaded from the google playstore and run directly from the head unit itself. All you need to do is supply a wifi hotspot from your phone, or fit the head unit with its own 4g card.

ivosto

Aug 5, 2021
Thanks guys, really useful answers! About android auto - I have, had no idea it wasn't that good. I never had a car with more than a single colored screen and always see adverts about new cars which specify they have android auto or apple car play as such a huge extra. After all isn't this to link the phone to the car system and operate the phone from the display? What if I receive e call ? The Bluetooth/wi-fi connection will allow me to answer it from the car media? And lastly i really want to have it lazy - for example i get in the car - my head unit and the car connect somehow , can i make it play Spotify automatically ? is there something like Bixby routines or.. can it happen at all? Or actually i can do it from the phone - when connected to that head unit to play Spotify like I have a program to play automatically when it connects to a certain speaker? Thanks very much again!

Bob_Sanders

Thanks guys, really useful answers! About android auto - I have, had no idea it wasn't that good. I never had a car with more than a single colored screen and always see adverts about new cars which specify they have android auto or apple car play as such a huge extra. After all isn't this to link the phone to the car system and operate the phone from the display? What if I receive e call ? The Bluetooth/wi-fi connection will allow me to answer it from the car media? And lastly i really want to have it lazy - for example i get in the car - my head unit and the car connect somehow , can i make it play Spotify automatically ? is there something like Bixby routines or.. can it happen at all? Or actually i can do it from the phone - when connected to that head unit to play Spotify like I have a program to play automatically when it connects to a certain speaker? Thanks very much again!
I have a simple bixby routine set up to turn the phone wifi hotspot on for use with the head unit, and then off again when I turn my jeep off. Of course the head unit automatically connects to that hotspot when it sees it. It's all automatic. I don't have to pull the phone out at all.

You can downlaod a tasker to start Spotify automatically if you wish.

Yes, your phone's bluetooth will connect automatically for phone calls.

Reactions: marchnz

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
github.com
I have a simple bixby routine set up to turn the phone wifi hotspot on for use with the head unit, and then off again when I turn my jeep off. Of course the head unit automatically connects to that hotspot when it sees it. It's all automatic. I don't have to pull the phone out at all.

Bixby is Samsung only.
You can also use Tasker/MacroDroid/Automagic/Automate/etc. to do what you do what @Bob_Sanders is doing with BixBy.
When you switch on the unit it connects via BT to your phone. That triggers MacroDroid/Tasker on your phone for that BT device (the unit) to switch on the hotspot, which the car unit on its turn then automatically connects to.
And when you switch off the car/unit, your BT connection is broken and the phone hotspot is stopped.
Works all the time for me.

Bob_Sanders

Wow!
The Ownice has a HUGE array of inputs/outputs on top of the normal ones... pretty impressive

Dual sub outputs
HDMI output
Quick charge usb
two rca video outputs
Atmosphere lighting control

zazazq.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I normally don't answer these kind of topics as it is a never ending story, but maybe I or others can use it to copy around in likewise questions.
    They are more or less the same when it comes to the software. They are FYT based and have support for the several versions of hardware.

But anyway, for all units be it FYT based, MTCx, TSx, AC8227, etc., etc., FIRST compare the hardware:

Check whether the screen is TFT/IPS/QLED (in increasing quality=readability). Go for nothing less than 1280x720 (1024x600 is not good enough anymore, but in the end it is up to you).

Check which FM-chip (from low to high):
    1. TDA7786x or Philips (NXP) TEF6851 => budget chip without RDS.
    2. TDA7708x => middle segment but good enough
    3. Philips (NXP) TEF6686 => top FM chip

Check which audio chip (low to high):
    1. TDA7388 -> budget, not good.
    2. TDA7850/TDA7851: Both good. 7851 has slightly less power output with slightly less heat dissipation. Less chance of overheating. The TDA7851 has almost everywhere been replaced with the TDA7838, which should be identical in quality/performance (no idea, google around)
    DSP: nowadays mostly ROHM BU32107. (Earlier ADAU chips are not so good but seem only to be used in MTCx units.)

CPU (fast to slow): UIS7862 (Unisoc ums512), SC9853i and PX6, PX5 AC8257, PX30, AC8237 and PX3.
    This order is a bit discussable, but the uis7862 is definitely the fastest currently.

Memory: minimal 2GB, 4GB is fine. Some prefer 6GB but that is actually not necessary.

Now back to the FYT models you are mentioning. They are more or less comparable. It "seems" T'eyes support is better, but I leave that to the owners (Don't want to start a flame here ;))

what i want most from this upgrade is a seamless and easy connection of my phone to the car - listening to spotify via bluetooth. Android auto to use the phone trough the multimedia would be nice.
    What? Android Auto?
    You are going to buy such an expensive high-power full-fledged full functional Android unit and use it as a cheap emulator for the restricted Android Auto?????

I really, really don't understand these kind of arguments. If you want to use Android Auto, for which you indeed sometimes need to pay separately, then choose a cheap unit which supports this as well.