General OxygenOS 11.2.8.8 for the OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro

Search This thread

Haunt3r

Jul 16, 2012
Portland,Oregon
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Looks like they're rolling out 11.2.8.8 for the device : OxygenOS 11.2.8.8 for the OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro - OnePlus Community

Not seeing anywhere that it will get a full build, which is unfortunate since it's a PitA to update with an OTA when rooted and having a ton of mods.

Edit:

Changelog from forum in case you don't want to bother clicking the link:

• System
Updated Android security patch to 2021.07
Fixed known issues and improved stability

• Ambient Display
Newly added Bitmoji AOD, co-designed by Snapchat & Bitmoji, which will liven up the ambient display with your personal Bitmoji avatar. Your avatar will update throughout the day based on your activity and things happening around you ( Path: Settings - Customization - Clock on ambient display - Bitmoji )

• OnePlus Store
An intuitive and convenient way to manage your OnePlus account, get easy-to-access support, discover exciting members-only benefits, and shop for OnePlus products. (Please note that it can be uninstalled)

fdgfgd

Nov 22, 2017
Haven't we gotten full builds for every version so far, so why do you think this one won't get it?

XNine

Dec 28, 2010
Denver
HTC 10
OnePlus 6
Can you please explain to mw what is a throttling?

Oneplus, in their infinite wisdom, decided to throttle (scale back the performance) of the processor when certain apps were used, not allowing the app to take full advantage of the processing power. This can cause delays, lag, or general slowness of said apps. If I remember correctly (I may not) there's something like 300 apps that Oneplus throttles.

Not only did they do this, but they tried to hide it, too.

If the Pixel 6 is a good phone, I'll be jumping ship. I've loved OP but this kind of crap (and no OIS on the OP9) infuriates me.

Pain-N-Panic

Mar 24, 2013
Droid
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Apparently there's an app you either have to backup and remove or disable on your 9 or 9 Pro to disable the throttling, but in turn your phone will last less and overheat more.'
Yeah that would make sense....I mean SOME throttling is probably a good thing. I don't know enough about throttling and CPU frequencies to really have an informed opinion on it lol

rmendez011

Yeah that would make sense....I mean SOME throttling is probably a good thing. I don't know enough about throttling and CPU frequencies to really have an informed opinion on it lol
I'm limited myself Aswell but to my understanding when a CPU gets too hot it pulls voltage so it doesn't melt itself. Here's how to remove throttling on the 9 and 9 Pro. It has since been removed but this is a backup.

Reactions: Pain-N-Panic

Pain-N-Panic

Mar 24, 2013
Droid
Google Pixel 7 Pro
"1. Then run this command to open shell in your phone to uninstall the Oneplus application .\adb.exe shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.oneplus.config

2. f you see Success after running the command you can Reboot your phone
Now you should be good, try running Speedometer test and see if your score increased"

This is taken from the page you linked in case anyone wants to try it. From what I gather, I removed a system file that has custom frequencies set for various applications, this adb command removes those profiles from the phone so the listed apps are no longer restricted on their CPU usage.

Reactions: Nathan.7118391

Trekster

Aug 5, 2008
I'm limited myself Aswell but to my understanding when a CPU gets too hot it pulls voltage so it doesn't melt itself. Here's how to remove throttling on the 9 and 9 Pro. It has since been removed but this is a backup.
Yes, when a CPU gets outside of it's thermal limits, it will throttle voltage and scale back speed as to meet that limit.

The issue is, the limit of the 888 is far beyond what we "humans" think is ok to touch as the heat gets transferred to the phone.

The silicon can likely get about 100c before it will throttle, but because it is in a phone the chip will probably start to throttle at around 60-70c. Now that will likely not be the case if using the phone for most apps(including Chrome) but using the Adreno GPU will hit that limit pretty fast.

What OnePlus has done is not really necessary, but for the sake of battery life. The microcode og the SoC will take care of things.

Reactions: rmendez011

rmendez011

"1. Then run this command to open shell in your phone to uninstall the Oneplus application .\adb.exe shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.oneplus.config

2. f you see Success after running the command you can Reboot your phone
Now you should be good, try running Speedometer test and see if your score increased"

This is taken from the page you linked in case anyone wants to try it. From what I gather, I removed a system file that has custom frequencies set for various applications, this adb command removes those profiles from the phone so the listed apps are no longer restricted on their CPU usage.
Instead of pm uninstall you could do pm disable so you can enable it whenever you want.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can you please explain to mw what is a throttling?

Oneplus, in their infinite wisdom, decided to throttle (scale back the performance) of the processor when certain apps were used, not allowing the app to take full advantage of the processing power. This can cause delays, lag, or general slowness of said apps. If I remember correctly (I may not) there's something like 300 apps that Oneplus throttles.

Not only did they do this, but they tried to hide it, too.

If the Pixel 6 is a good phone, I'll be jumping ship. I've loved OP but this kind of crap (and no OIS on the OP9) infuriates me.
    For those curious about throttling in this update, it's still present:
    Screenshot_20210721-103506.jpg
    with TPD enabled
    Screenshot_20210721-103707.jpg

Initial run after disabling via tasker task
    Screenshot_20210721-103937.jpg

Second run after disabling and force closing chrome.
    Looks like they're rolling out 11.2.8.8 for the device : OxygenOS 11.2.8.8 for the OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro - OnePlus Community

Not seeing anywhere that it will get a full build, which is unfortunate since it's a PitA to update with an OTA when rooted and having a ton of mods.

Edit:

Changelog from forum in case you don't want to bother clicking the link:

• System
    Updated Android security patch to 2021.07
    Fixed known issues and improved stability

• Ambient Display
    Newly added Bitmoji AOD, co-designed by Snapchat & Bitmoji, which will liven up the ambient display with your personal Bitmoji avatar. Your avatar will update throughout the day based on your activity and things happening around you ( Path: Settings - Customization - Clock on ambient display - Bitmoji )

• OnePlus Store
    An intuitive and convenient way to manage your OnePlus account, get easy-to-access support, discover exciting members-only benefits, and shop for OnePlus products. (Please note that it can be uninstalled)
    The full zip for BA is now available through oxygen updater.
    Im downloaded and installed this update through my rooted op9pro, but after first boot my power button do not lock my phone instantly its just show me power off and restart menu.
    No option to lock my phone, just wait to display sleep time..