OxygenOS A12 breaks rooting?

Search This thread

Throg

Dec 15, 2011
OnePlus 8T
First let me say that I'm sorry about how this is formatted but I'm very frustrated with Oneplus right now. My troubles began when KB2005_11.C.16 downloaded. I could not take the OTA to save my life and it seems that the download disappeared before I had any opportunity to pull it off the phone. The only thing I could think of to do at this point was search the internet or unroot and try it. My searches turned up nothing useful and mostly forum posts from 2020 and 2021 but were unrelated (obviously). Unroot time it is. The phone updated with no problem but root was gone. Tried to boot a recovery through fastboot with no luck. The command rebooted the phone but hung on "Fastboot Mode". Tried other .img files just for grins and "fastboot boot" just doesn't work for me anymore. I updated the SDK Platform Tools, Xiaomi ADB bootloader interface drivers to no avail. ADB, Fastboot, and FastbootD all seem to function. Just not as I need them to. This is what I've done to rule out operator error.

Phone is Oneplus 8T (KB2005)
Restored phone from MSM to version 11.0.7.9.KB05AA (Obtained personally from Oneplus support)
Setup Wifi and only enough to check for OS updates.
Unlocked bootloader. Accidentally. All I really wanted to do was enable USB debugging. Nevertheless, it was done.
Checked for updates. Update to 11.0.11.11.KB05AA shows up.
I click Download and install
Installation paused. Installation will continue when device isn't being used. To install now, tap Resume
Tapped Resume.
Installing Security update...
Restart now button appears
I click Restart now
System update available 11.0.13.13.KB05AA. Tapped on notification.
Installation paused. Installation will continue when device isn't being used. To install now, tap Resume
Tapped Resume
Installing Security update...
I click Restart now
System update available
New version:KB2005_11.C.16_1160_202204222257
Tapped Resume
Installing System update...
I click Restart now
At this point OxygenOS is on Android 12
System update available
New version: KB2005_11.C.20_1200_202205262304
Tapped Resume
Installing System update...
I click Restart now
Finally Phone is up to date
Unlocked bootoader and Developer options survived all updates
ADB reboot bootloader rebooted phone to bootloader (as expected)
fastboot reboot fastboot reboot phone to FastbootD mode (as expected)
fastboot boot anyimage.img just freezes the device with a black screen. Booting into a custom recovery this is the only way I know to pull boot.img from the device.
Untill then or until a new way becomes known to me, I'm unable to root my phone.

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 8T
You should have rooted when you got to C.16. Because that's a full installation zip, you can take the payload.bin from it and use payload dumper to extract the boot image and patch the file with Magisk.
Then you could have followed the process to keep root with an incremental update.
Or, you could have rooted when you were on OOS 11 using TWRP, then kept root at each update.
These are explained in https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-root-and-keeping-root-options.4387977/

Last edited:

Throg

Dec 15, 2011
OnePlus 8T
Fair enough. It does sound easy when you put it that way but here is what part of my complaint is about ...

i just reflashed with msm, unlocked bootloader, and rooted with magisk. Tested root with ADB shell, su
Checked updates again and updating failed, clicked "try again" and it failed again. This time after I clicked try again it shows that it is now trying to install C.16 so away we go ...

Oh wait. Fastboot boot doesn't boot any of my recoveries or boot.img files. I need a working custom recovery to extract a useable boot.img from my phone. Where can I find a recovery that works with C.16+?

Throg

Dec 15, 2011
OnePlus 8T
Before you yell at me, I noticed that I left off the step of installing magisk to the other partition after the OTA. In fact, I didn't even try that yet but I have been here before and it didn't work. This time, however, it did work and I now have a rooted C.16 ready to update to C.20. I should say thank you but that doesn't sound like enough. Thank you, BillGoss. Sometimes just asking for help is enough.

Reactions: BillGoss

Throg

Dec 15, 2011
OnePlus 8T
My initial complaint was a bit clouded. I am reminded now trying to update to C.20, the truth of what happened. The C.20 incremental dropped and I tried to take it but it just kept resulting in "Couldn't update. Installation problem". It was because of this that I decided to unroot and try it. It did update but now I couldn't fastboot boot anyimg.img. I had no recovery.img or boot.img to further my cause. Then I went ballistic. I couldn't find an .Ota folder anywhere on my device. That just made matters worse.

I did discovery at this point that there is no longer a local update option on the update page. but there is an .apk developed by Oneplus themselves that installs a local update app.

Throg

Dec 15, 2011
OnePlus 8T
So now I'm on KB2005_11_C.11. Check for updates shows 11.C.20 incremental. This one contains the may security update. I'm currently still on February.

Anyway, when I try to update it just says "Couldn't update. Installation problem.". Does anyone know how I can get this update please?

Rootk1t

Jun 2, 2013
So now I'm on KB2005_11_C.11. Check for updates shows 11.C.20 incremental. This one contains the may security update. I'm currently still on February.

Anyway, when I try to update it just says "Couldn't update. Installation problem.". Does anyone know how I can get this update please?
It's clearly stated in BillGoss guide, how to install OTA and keep root.

scottlam1

Aug 16, 2011
You can pull your image through msm tool readback mode load msm tool press f8 it brings up a sub menu where you pick what you want to pull them you input oneplus all lowercase as the password on main screen press readback button then put phone into edl mode it will pull the img files out into your c:\ drive

Last edited:

scottlam1

Aug 16, 2011

scottlam1

Aug 16, 2011
@scottlam1 I was going to try this because this would be such a help getting the boot image when there have only been incremental updates, but MSM (OOS 11.0.7.9 for KB05AA from https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...l-to-restore-your-device-to-oxygenos.4180837/) won't accept OnePlus as the password. ☹️
Any suggestions?
I don't know if it matters for your build but for me I use admin privileges when you first load msm you use other no username password in readback OnePlus is lowercase one word

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 8T
@scottlam1
Apart from struggling to get my PC to connect properly in EDL mode, once it did connect the readback process gave me the boot image. Woo hoo!
I made the mistake of asking for both boot_a and boot_b. But readback only produces files with <partition name>.img and, therefore, I was left with only one boot.img file (the second one).

But this means we can now get a stock boot image without needing a full OTA zip.
Thanks so much for sharing this method to pull partitions from the phone without needing root.

scottlam1

Aug 16, 2011

Use the incremental update from oxygen updater apk and get OPLocalUpdate_For_Android12.apk it is a standalone app for local installs that they took out of the normal update in oos12 in magisk you restore images once update is installed don't restart go to magisk and install to inactive slot then you can restart if you had twrp or orange fox in 11 you had to manually restore stock recovery or the update would fail but as of now there is no twrp for a12 available so you don't have to worry about that yet

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts