P-OLED Burn-in... after 3 days!!!

Search This thread

doubleohseven

Oct 2, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Received my G Watch R for Christmas. Did the screen "burn-in" using Stuck Pixel Fixer at max brightness for 4 hours, and i've tried various watch faces with always-on mode since then, brightness switched between 3-4. So far so good, no burn-in/ghosting to be seen.

Darnell_Chat_TN

Nov 29, 2008
Chattanooga, TN
Google Pixel 4 XL
The "Aviator" Watch Face has been updated with the new name "Skymaster". It now has as option, to remove the logo, customize the text and other features. Can't say I've used it long enough to see whether it would cause issues in its latest form.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

dersie

Mar 26, 2011
Nancy, Lorraine
The "Aviator" Watch Face has been updated with the new name "Skymaster". It now has as option, to remove the logo, customize the text and other features. Can't say I've used it long enough to see whether it would cause issues in its latest form.

I used SkyMaster 1 day (18H) and no problem. It has now a setup for dim mode to reduce brightness.

atcchris

Apr 10, 2010
Alabama
Received my G Watch R for Christmas. Did the screen "burn-in" using Stuck Pixel Fixer at max brightness for 4 hours, and i've tried various watch faces with always-on mode since then, brightness switched between 3-4. So far so good, no burn-in/ghosting to be seen.

What color/colors did you use with stuck pixel?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA Free mobile app

RayHK

Jul 6, 2008

I have been using Skymaster for over a week. So far so good.

lowtje

Jul 30, 2008
The skymaster is to pixelated for me :(

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

gkinrade

Dec 31, 2014
To those of you with 5.0.1, have you seen the new "Red" stock face? There is significantly more white, and all the numbers and dials are present on the dimmed face. Can anybody confirm that this is an increased risk for burn in? I'll post a picture later if no one has seen it yet.

I just got the update. With the brightness set to 1, the dim mode on that face looks brighter than the non-dimmed mode.

Hi all - first post! I'd like to know peoples' thoughts on this too - I picked my GWR up today and I love it and the Red face is my favourite of the stock faces but the dim mode contains a lot of white, fairly large, fairly bright elements. I've tried to post an image but the site won't let me yet...

Thanks in advance!

GK

Edit: Creating an album on here will let me post a piccy:

picture.php

Last edited:

cswarrior

Jan 24, 2012
Used Daytona for too long and when I changed the watch face I found this.

Any advices?

Sent from my LG-D855 using XDA Free mobile app

Attachments

• 1421388037072.jpg
    1421388037072.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,028

atcchris

Apr 10, 2010
Alabama
Used Daytona for too long and when I changed the watch face I found this.

Any advices?

Hmmm. I haven't noticed any burn in on mine yet, but I haven't used that other face you were using.

I did see ghosting one time, but it faded out within a few seconds.

So, on another note, could you give me the link to that awesome white speedmaster face in your screenshot?

cswarrior

Jan 24, 2012
Thanks, will leave it for a few days and see,

I believe i found those watchfaces on the moto360 forums

atcchris

Apr 10, 2010
Alabama
Thanks, will leave it for a few days and see,

I believe i found those watchfaces on the moto360 forums

That's cool. I hope it does go away. Have you tried stuck pixel fixer yet?

Also, I've never used a watch face that didn't have a OLED friendly dim mode. I used the stock ones as kind of guidelines, but even a few of the stock ones seem risky.

Hawke84

Jan 14, 2010
Worthing, UK
If using the stock ones ends up with permanent screen burn in I think there's a pretty good case for RMA to LG for repair under warranty

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Planins

Aug 24, 2013
Veliko Tarnovo
If using the stock ones ends up with permanent screen burn in I think there's a pretty good case for RMA to LG for repair under warranty

I don't know where you are from, but it specifically says in the warranty of my watch that burn-in could happen and it is not covered by the warranty.

A rough translation:
"Do not show static images for a long time on the watch. It could lead to overheating or forming of marks on the display."
"Apps that show one and the same image for more than 10 minutes are not recommended, as possible screen damage is not covered under warranty."

Darnell_Chat_TN

Nov 29, 2008
Chattanooga, TN
Google Pixel 4 XL
The device has built in burn in protection that should work properly with the stock faces. So no image is static for 10 minutes. If stock is causing burn-in issues. Then LG should provide a replacement unit.

cswarrior

Jan 24, 2012
A few days later, it doesn't look as obvious but still noticeable.

And I've been using the stuck pixel app for the last few days

Attachments

• 1421629253502.jpg
    1421629253502.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 854

Hawke84

Jan 14, 2010
Worthing, UK
The device has built in burn in protection that should work properly with the stock faces. So no image is static for 10 minutes. If stock is causing burn-in issues. Then LG should provide a replacement unit.

Do you know if the facer or watch maker app also use burn in image shifting? I've not looked into it. I'm holding off using custom faces till I can be sure they are safe

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You need to be aware how to handle OLED displays. I learned my lesson in the hard way (with some previous phones) so, I now handle them with care and I have no problems anymore (both my Razr I - 2 years old, and my Watch R - 2 weeks old, are in perfect shape). I intend to buy an OLED TV soon as well :).

So, long story short .... if you want long life out of your OLED screen you need to:
    A: NEVER use it at max (or high) brightntness more than few seconds with a static image.
    B: ALWAYS use more green/red themes because red and green are the most resilient OLED compounds (with the current manufacture technologies).
    C: Use very very VERY LOW brightness for the "screen saver" - in our case, always on/dim mode.
    D: WHITE has a lot of blue in it ... so, a long time of white theme usage will create burn-in in all colours, especially in the blue colour - the less resistant compound (3 times faster deprecation compared to red, 4-5 times compared to green) so avoid high contrast elements in high brightness mode.
    E: Default DIM mode of the Watch G is waaaaay to bright for the purpose of the "dim" mode. A black, transparent layer is needed on top of the dim mode in order to prevent this (with the current firmware at least)

Conclusion: Choose wisely a pre-made face or build your own with the appropriate dim mode brightness.

Attached is my watch face (made for Watch Maker) and the basic colours tests (all photos captured few minutes ago). I tried to capture the appearance of the watch as seen with the naked eye (depending on your monitor calibration, your view might vary).
    With this type of face I did not got any burn-ins and I'm using it with always on mode activated (I like the feeling of a real watch so I'll be able to take a glimpse at the watch and tell the time, without shacking it, bring it horizontally or pushing buttons). The brightness for "normal" use is set between 1 and 2 (approximate). I'm using Wear Mini Launcher which has an advanced brightness mode under settings.

For testing I used Stuck Pixel Fixer
    *!!! Save your pixels ! SWApp True Dark Wear now FREE !!!*

I think you must darker you screen when you are in dim mode. So with watchface with setup for brightness dim mode or try a new app "SWApp True Dark Wear"

*!!! SWApp True Dark Wear now FREE !!!*
    *Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from SWApps !*

As a XMas present, SWApp True Dark is now available for Free (and will stay free) on the play store !

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.preiss.swapps.truedarkwear

In case you haven't read any post regarding SWApp True Dark before, here is what it's bringing you:
    *SWApp True Dark lets you darken your watch screen as much as you want it !*
    *Darker means less Burn-In !!! *

see this post for more details:

https://plus.google.com/101149847908870195450/posts/MZP565ALsW9

darkfree.jpg
    @tonyguy2000
    It has a P-OLED (polymer) display.
    A correction to the corection :) ... P-OLED from GWR it's coming from Plastic-OLED which defines the flexible substrate on which the OLED it's built.
    The OLED material from G is latest tech, state of the art .. nevertheless, It's an OLED, which means faster degradation of the blue compound.
    The burn-in you see after usage at high brightness settings is nothing else than lower blue light emission in those areas (that why is visible especially on the grey images, where a constant blue light has a very important role).

I'm trying to use faces with mainly red, green or orange colours (orange being a mixture of red and green) or, in case of the full spectrum, to use colours that use less blue.

For the guys customising their watch faces (using one of the many available apps), when you define a bright text or colour, look at the hex code of the colour : XXYYZZTT where XX is hexa code for transparency, YY is red level, ZZ is green level and TT is blue level. ... so try keeping the last two hex numbers in the low area, meaning below 100 (00 means 0, FF means 256, as colour intensity).
    You need to be aware how to handle OLED displays.
    While your post seems very useful, this is a very disturbing comment. Reminiscent of a certain fruit company telling its customers they were holding their phone incorrectly. If there's issues with the device, LG should not have released it. If you're not supposed to turn the brightness up all the way, the underlying settings should be different. More broadly, the device shouldn't let the user do something through normal means that harms the device.

This thread has been very helpful in determining if/which Android watch to get.
    This is excellent example of why you should not use light colored watch faces. Burns battery and looks terrible. Remember on OLED, black means "off". A mostly black watchface burns almost no juice.

That softball face looks ridiculous anyway. Stick with Aviator.

Last point. Always on is just dumb. Why do you want your watch face on when you aren't looking at it, to impress chicks?
    Your comment isn't even a solution or helpful at all. He's looking for someone to confirm the burn in issue. Honestly I have a hard time seeing it on the picture he submitted, but as someone who's interested in buying the watch I would like to know if this is a problem as well.

What happens if he takes your advice, sticks with a particular watch face for a long time, then decides he wants to change it to something else? If there is burn in, then it's going to be noticeable, no matter what watch face he uses. Your suggestion could be harmful.

Always on is not dumb. I have a Pebble and love the fact that I don't need to do anything crazy to see the time. I just look at it. No gestures, or interaction required. I would want / expect the same from any watch I plan on replacing it with. Otherwise there is a huge lack of convenience there. It's not to "impress chicks". And if you knew anything about "chicks" you'd know that stuff like this doesn't impress them and 95% of them could probably care less about some gadget.