P20 Pro 9.0 update? (Canada)

Search This thread

jam-kun

Jul 20, 2009
Question, if I bought from Koodo but activated on Rogers, what would my carrier be from an OS update perspective? Apologies for what may be a newb question.

Should add this is just for figuring out what carrier to track for their OS update, which is why I'm asking here.

Last edited:

atreyurocks

Dec 2, 2015
Question, if I bought from Koodo but activated on Rogers, what would my carrier be from an OS update perspective? Apologies for what may be a newb question.

Should add this is just for figuring out what carrier to track for their OS update, which is why I'm asking here.

If you bought your phone from Koodo, then you'll get the update from Koodo, no matter what your actual carrier is.

JohnAJivekat

Nov 17, 2018
A good example of this, I was running the P20 pro when I ordered without a sim card.

No update at all.

Had to put a sim card to get the .120 version of 8.1 (Oreo) (nothing showed using Wifi)

Still, nothing for me, all of my friends are using Videotron so can't test with another sim card.

FML for selling my Google Pixel 2 XL.

John.

Last edited:

mike613ottawa

Aug 28, 2009
Could someone who received the Pie update please do me a favour and check something...?

Under "Developer Options", is "Enable OEM Unlock" disabled, or can it be turned on?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190101_222218.jpg
    Screenshot_20190101_222218.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 334

buski

Dec 18, 2012
Montreal
i got tired of waiting for update from videotron so I unlocked bootloader for 28 dollars and now I got pie and root...
but its freaking complicated to do on this device compare to pixel or oneplus devices .

mike613ottawa

Aug 28, 2009
Yes it's still an option to turn on. I am on 9 via erecovery method.

Thanks for the reply. I've done a lot of searching and I was concerned about two things I read:

"Factory reset is also not recommended in pie. You'll end up frp lock(worst case) and greyed out enable oem unlock in dev option."

Sounds like "Enable OEM Lock" being disabled is not an issue with the official OTA version of 9.0 - perhaps only when it's installed "unofficially"?

Also, "Warning to everyone: DO NOT update to 9 if you still want to have root / twrp.”

Will this be a problem if one day I need to install an update from another region (in case updates are no longer pushed OTA in Canada for some reason)?

Finally, if I do need to roll back to 8.1 one day, is it as simple as using HiSuite to roll back in order to possibly BL unlock or root or whatever I would need to roll back to update from another region? I've seen a couple of YouTube videos to that effect.

Sorry for the newb questions, but I've done endless searching and can't seem to find the answers.

Thanks!!

citats

Dec 29, 2005
Oshawa
Thanks for the reply. I've done a lot of searching and I was concerned about two things I read:

"Factory reset is also not recommended in pie. You'll end up frp lock(worst case) and greyed out enable oem unlock in dev option."

Sounds like "Enable OEM Lock" being disabled is not an issue with the official OTA version of 9.0 - perhaps only when it's installed "unofficially"?

Also, "Warning to everyone: DO NOT update to 9 if you still want to have root / twrp.”

Will this be a problem if one day I need to install an update from another region (in case updates are no longer pushed OTA in Canada for some reason)?

Finally, if I do need to roll back to 8.1 one day, is it as simple as using HiSuite to roll back in order to possibly BL unlock or root or whatever I would need to roll back to update from another region? I've seen a couple of YouTube videos to that effect.

Sorry for the newb questions, but I've done endless searching and can't seem to find the answers.

Thanks!!
I can't answer any of your other Q's. I stopped rooting my devices since Google pay and other services became prominent for me. I certainly don't plan on downgrading either. Possibly someone else has those answers for you.

Robinottawa

Jul 24, 2015
ottawa
Just got the emui 9 update. Downloading now. P20 Pro on Koodo

I have the P20 Pro on Koodo too, but no update. In Ottawa. Do you have the Canadian model? CLT-L04?

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

Does anyone know if the update for the P20 Pro will have the camera changes that the Mate 20 Pro did, that reduces the awful waterpaint affect?

mike613ottawa

Aug 28, 2009
Yes it's still an option to turn on. I am on 9 via erecovery method.

I can't answer any of your other Q's. I stopped rooting my devices since Google pay and other services became prominent for me. I certainly don't plan on downgrading either. Possibly someone else has those answers for you.

Ok thank you. The only reason I would consider rooting (or whatever is required to downgrade), is in the unlikely event that Huawei decides to retaliate with this trade war, and not provide any further updates in Canada. Otherwise I am extremely pleased with the phone and have no plans to modify it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dec 17th 2018 for P20 but no update for P20 pro.

This is on Fido OS update site

P20 Pro would be updated 24 Dec 2018.
    I am not allowed to post external links.

But check huaweicentral dot com
    huawei-announces-emui-9-0-release-date-in-mate-10-and-p20-smartphone-series

Thank me!!

Regards/Nader
    New from this morning (Canadian model)

L8cQjMs.jpg
    Wasn't able to upgrade to emui 9 at all. Just downloads. Hits 1% on install and then fails.
    Same for updated to the "new" 120 build of emui 8.

Ya, we've all had that happen. The problem is that I don't think any of us are approved (according to FF) to have our phones upgraded EMUI 9.0.
    Makes me wonder though because when I check firmware access in FF, it says it communicates with Huawei severs to verify. So, if I am not approved from a Huawei perspective, doesn't that mean I am not approved from my carrier? In otherwords, once I get approved from Huawei, it's only then I should expect a OTA update to be pushed to my phone from my carrier. Frig, I really miss my Pixel 2 now lol.
    Yeah, you can't even unlock without paying $50. I paid like $340 for this phone. That's more than 10%.

S9 was also at the same price. I got one and it's really much better sorry.

I am happy you are happy with your S9, and we are all entitled to our own subjective opinions. Go sell the P20 Pro and move on then.
    I just purchased my P20 pro on Sunday from Telus and had the update same day.
    Cheers!
    Ha, was going to say something rude but hell it's not your fault. Congrats on the new up to date phone - welcome to the forum

Cheers !

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone