P20 Pro 9.0 update? (Canada)

Search This thread

carlcruz

Jan 2, 2019
I can't answer any of your other Q's. I stopped rooting my devices since Google pay and other services became prominent for me. I certainly don't plan on downgrading either. Possibly someone else has those answers for you.

I have the P20 Pro on Koodo too, but no update. In Ottawa. Do you have the Canadian model? CLT-L04?

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

Does anyone know if the update for the P20 Pro will have the camera changes that the Mate 20 Pro did, that reduces the awful waterpaint affect?

Yes I have CLT-L04, bought from Koodo directly. They're rolling out to batches, you should get yours soon :). I Just clicked Check Update and it appeared, no automated OTA message.

I dont know what you mean about the water paint effect. I have always been very happy with the camera with Master AI on, and constantly get complements and people asking "what phone is this?!". If anything, system performance is about the same but with much smoother animations and transitions. Everything just seems more polished. Haven't noticed any big difference with the camera, perhaps a bit faster but I don't have another phone to compare to. Overall, no complaints!

I previously had an LGv30 and after an OTA to Oreo it just ruined the battery life and performance. With this OTA, my P20 Pro has no such issues, and my Bluetooth audio bug has been fixed, which is a huge relief.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robinottawa

citats

Dec 29, 2005
Oshawa
In the unlikely event that Huawei decides to retaliate with this trade war, and not provide any further updates in Canada. Otherwise I am extremely pleased with the phone and have no plans to modify it.

I think it's extremely unlikely as such a retaliation would cause carriers to choose not to deal with Huawei by choice. Leaving customers in the lurch is worse for business.

l337krew

Jan 21, 2009
Hey guys, guess what.

Still no Android 9.0 on my Bell P20 Pro....

Me neither bud. I was shown the update schedule at a bell store that said the update for the p20 pro started Dec 19th and the p20 was a few days earlier. So it's been more than two weeks to rollout for us p20 pro users

bill_in_mtl

Jan 26, 2008
Montreal
Still nothing on Rogers either - their site shows available between 12/19 and 01/14 for the update

When it shows up - it shows up

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

carlcruz

Jan 2, 2019
Oh just a FYI - android pie OS takes an insane amount of RAM. On Oreo, I averaged about 2.5-3gb of free memory, but on pie I averaged 800mb-1.4gb of free memory. Still happy with the upgrade, however. Let's hope it doesn't gobble up even more RAM over time.

Update: after a few restarts, looks like the ram management had returned to oreo-like levels, averaging around 3gb of free memory. Opened apps are staying in cache now.

Last edited:

l337krew

Jan 21, 2009
Noob here but what exactly do you mean by force the update? I'm on Fido and still no goddamn update for my device yet.

He went to erecovery mode (Google how to get here) and did the update through there. I tried and it didn't work, so not sure what the success rate is.

gd6noob

Apr 29, 2011
People who bought their phone in Canada have CLT-L04, there is no such update as 9.0.0.168 for it, I wish people would stop posting as if everyone else will get the same update
Someone who is CLT-AL01 and followed the guide said they got an update. Whether its true or not, Im not sure.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=78608193&postcount=12

If you havent tried and just complain then I really have nothing to say. I was trying to suggestions ideas to try.

ProAc_Fan

Dec 16, 2018
St Catharines
I got the APP, and I manage open the APP, but there is no update at all. I got my phone from virgin mobile.

Where did you find Hicare? For me it's not available in my region. I'm with Fido and my bootloader is locked. I keep seeing all these claims about using Hicare or changing regions but none of that seems possible. It's now Jan 7th and still no OTA update to Android 9.0 for my P20 Pro and I'm less than happy at the moment.

Sean09

May 6, 2008
Where did you find Hicare? For me it's not available in my region. I'm with Fido and my bootloader is locked. I keep seeing all these claims about using Hicare or changing regions but none of that seems possible. It's now Jan 7th and still no OTA update to Android 9.0 for my P20 Pro and I'm less than happy at the moment.

The problem is we have a lot of people here who can't read and are reporting on non Canadian phones with different models.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dec 17th 2018 for P20 but no update for P20 pro.

This is on Fido OS update site

P20 Pro would be updated 24 Dec 2018.
    I am not allowed to post external links.

But check huaweicentral dot com
    huawei-announces-emui-9-0-release-date-in-mate-10-and-p20-smartphone-series

Thank me!!

Regards/Nader
    New from this morning (Canadian model)

L8cQjMs.jpg
    Wasn't able to upgrade to emui 9 at all. Just downloads. Hits 1% on install and then fails.
    Same for updated to the "new" 120 build of emui 8.

Ya, we've all had that happen. The problem is that I don't think any of us are approved (according to FF) to have our phones upgraded EMUI 9.0.
    Makes me wonder though because when I check firmware access in FF, it says it communicates with Huawei severs to verify. So, if I am not approved from a Huawei perspective, doesn't that mean I am not approved from my carrier? In otherwords, once I get approved from Huawei, it's only then I should expect a OTA update to be pushed to my phone from my carrier. Frig, I really miss my Pixel 2 now lol.
    Yeah, you can't even unlock without paying $50. I paid like $340 for this phone. That's more than 10%.

S9 was also at the same price. I got one and it's really much better sorry.

I am happy you are happy with your S9, and we are all entitled to our own subjective opinions. Go sell the P20 Pro and move on then.
    I just purchased my P20 pro on Sunday from Telus and had the update same day.
    Cheers!
    Ha, was going to say something rude but hell it's not your fault. Congrats on the new up to date phone - welcome to the forum

Cheers !

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone