P20 pro battery issues

Search This thread

rosseeles

Apr 12, 2018
Hi

Got my p20 pro a few days ago, love the phone but have a few issues, mainly battery.

After seeing slot of comments saying how people are easily getting 6/7 even 8 or 9 hours sot I'm struggling to get to 5. I have display on auto, removed uneeded apps, have darkened colour selected for menus etc yet I can't get through a day of use (Twitter, email, internet and some YouTube videos) I do have Spotify on in the background slot, but looking at the usage settings the highest battery use for that has been around 241 ma, so not a great deal

Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

A second issue is that when using pinch to zoom in you tube in landscape mode I get a line between the screen and the notch which looks like a weird display gap and is really annoying, anyone else get that?

Lastly...in camera mode I've watched a ton of phone reviews and night mode is a swipe able option along the bottom, next to aperture mode etc...however I don't have this, I have to go into more then night mode, anyone know why that is? ( I'm in the UK if that makes any difference)

Thanks for any help you can give

Ross

potblack2win

Aug 20, 2008
London
Same here. Its not a deal breaker though over night
I lose 2% on idle with aeroplane mode on and then shortly using 2% drops off.

We seem to forget that this is the initial release of the firmware - I am sure huawei will optimise it further to improve battery

Reactions: RockStar2005

DaveP2611

Aug 11, 2014
Basildon
My phone nearly always gets charged overnight, the fact that this is now easily getting me through the day with zero scares is good for me, I'm not trying to eek 2 days out of it, if Huawei somehow get that then all well and good, but for now I'm happy knowing it's unlikely to die on me if I leave the house at 100%

Reactions: RockStar2005

lp77

Mar 27, 2016
I had the same issue, but seem to have stabilised it.

Try the following :

Stick to one resolution rather than smart.
Disabled adaptive eye.
Keep the notch on
Managed all apps manually (setting only my key apps to auto and run in background)

I also deleted the cache on all apps and the system via boot menu because I think migration caused some of the issues.

Reactions: anilhk

rosseeles

Apr 12, 2018
I'm sure mines got something going on in the back ground, fully charged to 100% left in standby while driving to work, arrive (30 mind later with the phone not used) and it's gone down 3%.

Tried the settings above and have manual control over all the apps, I kill off apps after I use them and it's still draining worse than any phone I've had for the last few years.

bk227865

Jul 6, 2006
Hi
Lastly...in camera mode I've watched a ton of phone reviews and night mode is a swipe able option along the bottom, next to aperture mode etc...however I don't have this, I have to go into more then night mode, anyone know why that is? ( I'm in the UK if that makes any difference)
Ross

That is the same menu i have (i'm in Belgium)
i have to go in "more" and then select "night shot"

AlexRocker

Jul 14, 2016
Vienna
I'm sure mines got something going on in the back ground, fully charged to 100% left in standby while driving to work, arrive (30 mind later with the phone not used) and it's gone down 3%.

Tried the settings above and have manual control over all the apps, I kill off apps after I use them and it's still draining worse than any phone I've had for the last few years.

Same here!!! :(

Jonathan-H

Sep 27, 2014
I get between 8 and 9 SOT a day, Wifi most of the day, 3 hours netflix on 4g with BT headphones, instagram, whatsapp, web browsing, streaming deezer music on BT headphones, texts, some calls. No snapchat or games though and facebook is not logged in.

Haven't tested standby drain yet but maybe it's standby that's killing your battery?

This is in one day though and is excessive use as I have two Instagram accounts and lots of work emails as well. I also don't have a pc at home so use phone for browsing.

Elwaa

Apr 23, 2018
How is your settings within the battery category? Do you manage the apps to etc run manually or what do you have in the settings that gets you so much of SOT?

AlexRocker

Jul 14, 2016
Vienna
So after some days of testing and trying out some battery monitor apps, the max SOT that I get is 5 hours and 45 minutes.
GSam reports that Android System and Kernel (Android OS) use more than 30% of the battery combined. Is that normal? I'll attach some screenshots.
What I also find interesting is that the AccuBattery app shows that the estimated capacity of my battery being at 3500mAh out off the 4,000mAh design capacity and battery health is at 88%.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180423-214802.jpg
    Screenshot_20180423-214802.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 1,804
  • Screenshot_20180423-214832.jpg
    Screenshot_20180423-214832.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 1,796
Last edited:

wort11

Oct 26, 2014
I get between 8 and 9 SOT a day, Wifi most of the day, 3 hours netflix on 4g with BT headphones, instagram, whatsapp, web browsing, streaming deezer music on BT headphones, texts, some calls. No snapchat or games though and facebook is not logged in.

Haven't tested standby drain yet but maybe it's standby that's killing your battery?

This is in one day though and is excessive use as I have two Instagram accounts and lots of work emails as well. I also don't have a pc at home so use phone for browsing.

I'm sorry but how do you achieve this? I barely get 5 hours SOT with WI-FI on, instagram, messenger, facebook etc. Also my apps are running on AUTO APp launch.

So after some days of testing and trying out some battery monitor apps, the max SOT that I get is 5 hours and 45 minutes.
GSam reports that Android System and Kernel (Android OS) use more than 30% of the battery combined. Is that normal? I'll attach some screenshots.
What I also find interesting is that the AccuBattery app shows that the estimated capacity of my battery being at 3500mAh out off the 4,000mAh design capacity and battery health is at 88%.

Have you figured out what is causing the problems? I'm having pretty similar issues.

AlexRocker

Jul 14, 2016
Vienna
I'm sorry but how do you achieve this? I barely get 5 hours SOT with WI-FI on, instagram, messenger, facebook etc. Also my apps are running on AUTO APp launch.

Have you figured out what is causing the problems? I'm having pretty similar issues.

Unfortunately I haven't had any luck either. I've deactivated almost everything that could be using up the battery and I still don't get more than 6-7 hours of SOT... I've had the phone for two months now, battery life didn't really get better as some people mention. I carry a powerbank with me cause when I'm out and taking photos it doesn't even make it through half the day...

reppi

Jul 21, 2008
Did you guys deactivate the option mobile data while connected with wifi? That drains a lot of battery while connected with wifi and is activated out of the box for no reason. What also drains battery are the two options under location settings to search for wifi networks all the time.

When I was on emui I set all apps to manual and only activated active in background and auto start for apps that really need it and I want to get notifications from, like WhatsApp and telegram.

Under mobile data settings I also deactivated background data for those apps and boom, easily 10+ hrs SOT when on WiFi or 7-8 hrs on mobile data.

I'm running force Doze app as well but that might only help with standby drain.

Oh and get rid of Facebook, messenger and snapchat if you want good battery. They are known for huge drain and there are good or even better alternatives like Friendly e.g.

Last edited:

wort11

Oct 26, 2014
Unfortunately I haven't had any luck either. I've deactivated almost everything that could be using up the battery and I still don't get more than 6-7 hours of SOT... I've had the phone for two months now, battery life didn't really get better as some people mention. I carry a powerbank with me cause when I'm out and taking photos it doesn't even make it through half the day...

That does not sound too bad...At least you're getting 6-7 hours of SOT. I'm getting like 4H MAX lately. And that is mostly internal usage! with low brightness. :(

Did you guys deactivate the option mobile data while connected with wifi? That drains a lot of battery while connected with wifi and is activated out of the box for no reason. What also drains battery are the two options under location settings to search for wifi networks all the time.

When I was on emui I set all apps to manual and only activated active in background and auto start for apps that really need it and I want to get notifications from, like WhatsApp and telegram.

Under mobile data settings I also deactivated background data for those apps and boom, easily 10+ hrs SOT when on WiFi or 7-8 hrs on mobile data.

Oh and get rid of Facebook, messenger and snapchat if you want good battery. They are known for huge drain and there are good or even better alternatives like Friendly e.g.

Thanks for that! I've just disabled "Mobile data always on" and we'll see how much difference does it make. I also might give Friendly a shot.

Also, if I disable background data/app launch for Facebook, that will surely prevent facebook to sync constantly, right? I don't need constant notifications from facebook, only from messenger.

Also I noticed I went to sleep with 100%, after 7 hours I woke up with 92% left. That is with Always ON display. Is this normal standby drain? I'm also thinking about disabling always on display as it does not show notifications correctly anyway.

Last edited:

reppi

Jul 21, 2008
That does not sound too bad...At least you're getting 6-7 hours of SOT. I'm getting like 4H MAX lately. And that is mostly internal usage! with low brightness. :(

Thanks for that! I've just disabled "Mobile data always on" and we'll see how much difference does it make. I also might give Friendly a shot.

Also, if I disable background data/app launch for Facebook, that will surely prevent facebook to sync constantly, right? I don't need constant notifications from facebook, only from messenger.

Also I noticed I went to sleep with 100%, after 7 hours I woke up with 92% left. That is with Always ON display. Is this normal standby drain? I'm also thinking about disabling always on display as it does not show notifications correctly anyway.
Yes that should prevent notifications from Facebook.

Hm when I charge it to 100% I usually still have 100% when I wake up 7hrs later. That doesn't mean I have no drain but I think the phone stays at 100% fairly long and seems to drain faster on low battery percentage (similar to iPhone afaik). When I charge to 90% for example I wake up with 87% or so. That's more realistic I think. Wifi on, everything else off, no AOD.

Elwaa

Apr 23, 2018

What system apps do you deactivate background data? I just did it to some of my installed apps and i hope i will see a diffrence soon. And where can i find "deactivate mobile data when on wifi?.
Thanks

reppi

Jul 21, 2008
What system apps do you deactivate background data? I just did it to some of my installed apps and i hope i will see a diffrence soon. And where can i find "deactivate mobile data when on wifi?.
Thanks
Not too many actually. Could probably deactivate some more but seems fine as it is.

My system is German but it must be somewhere in wireless and network - mobile network - advanced.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Same here. Its not a deal breaker though over night
    I lose 2% on idle with aeroplane mode on and then shortly using 2% drops off.

We seem to forget that this is the initial release of the firmware - I am sure huawei will optimise it further to improve battery
    My phone nearly always gets charged overnight, the fact that this is now easily getting me through the day with zero scares is good for me, I'm not trying to eek 2 days out of it, if Huawei somehow get that then all well and good, but for now I'm happy knowing it's unlikely to die on me if I leave the house at 100%
    I had the same issue, but seem to have stabilised it.

Try the following :

Stick to one resolution rather than smart.
    Disabled adaptive eye.
    Keep the notch on
    Managed all apps manually (setting only my key apps to auto and run in background)

I also deleted the cache on all apps and the system via boot menu because I think migration caused some of the issues.
    Ah thanks! What does the background data do when turning off? Kinda bad at this things. Anything with notifications ans stuff?
    Yes the app will just have no internet connection in background anymore so you will most likely not receive any notifications and the app won't be able to sync or make backup in the background. Everything related to internet connection basically.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone