P40 Pro debloating guide

Search This thread

bouyhy01

May 4, 2016
bourges
ASUS ROG Phone 5
You're very welcome :)

I updated my post after checking .134 which I think is the same as .135 and .136
I added the Petal Search widget. I hear that people like it but I personally have no use for it.

Im still stuck on 131 i tr8ed everything to get 134 or 135 but nothing i have the els_nx9 model international variant do you have the zip update plz. Thank you so much

H-Emmanuel

Jul 22, 2010
That's what I have too. If you really want the update, you could try using HiSuite. I don't have the zip update.

LevsOG

Mar 31, 2013
Great, just recently got my device and my first time using ADB and what not. Very straight forward guide indeed and hopefully slightly increase in performance/battery.

DarkAngel117

Dec 1, 2010
Im not sure why, but after debloating most of the suggestions on here, I can't sign into swiftkey (I have also updated to the latest version). For some reason when I try to sign in with my Microsoft account it just tries 5-6 times then says "too many tries, try again later" and the password IS correct, and I have signed into the account on the phone... maybe there's a service that I uninstalled that's related? Any ideas? (Things I kept were messaging, calling apps, and magazine unlock).

H-Emmanuel

Jul 22, 2010
Im not sure why, but after debloating most of the suggestions on here, I can't sign into swiftkey (I have also updated to the latest version). For some reason when I try to sign in with my Microsoft account it just tries 5-6 times then says "too many tries, try again later" and the password IS correct, and I have signed into the account on the phone... maybe there's a service that I uninstalled that's related? Any ideas? (Things I kept were messaging, calling apps, and magazine unlock).

Sorry, I can't really help you there as I don't log into any account for Swiftkey. I would be surprised if your issue was caused by removing the packages in this guide. Swiftkey is a standalone, third party app that shouldn't have any dependencies on Huawei packages.

Try downloading Swiftkey from APKpure or APKmirror, then uninstall the stock Huawei/AppGallery SwiftKey using ADB. Then install the Swiftkey you downloaded. REMEMBER YOU WON'T HAVE A KEYBOARD so make sure you download the apk for the new Swiftkey before removing the preinstalled one.

TweetyPeety

Recognized Themer
Aug 22, 2010
is it also possible to remove the launcher, when having installed for example Nova Launcher. On the Mate 20 Pro you could do it and than only Nova Launcher was left, as you can't really set Nova Launcher so the standard Launcher. But in this case, the gesture to home was gone, so one had to switch to icons on the button for navigation.

H-Emmanuel

Jul 22, 2010
I followed my own guide after doing a fresh upgrade (factory reset) to .142
The performance and battery life are great!

I've used my phone lightly these past few days and there is definitely no background battery drain; I'm actually at 74 hours with 20% left. I'm also using pretty aggressive App Launch settings, restricting many apps to run in the background.

H-Emmanuel

Jul 22, 2010
Can I uninstall Optimiser? What's the effect?

That's not a good idea. It's more than an app, it's a system service that manages your battery, among other things. I researched all these things months ago, and came to the conclusion that Optimizer shouldn't be removed. Also, it provides a convenient way to clear the cache for your other apps.

Reactions: stegg

ptfuzi

Jul 10, 2017
removing swiftkey removed my keyboard. So I had to search it without a key board on Google play. After the install I could login correctly on SwiftKey with MS account

Last edited:

H-Emmanuel

Jul 22, 2010
removing swiftkey removed my keyboard. So I had to search it without a key board on Google play. After the install I could login correctly on SwiftKey with MS account

I warned a user in the comments on how to avoid this situation:
Try downloading Swiftkey from APKpure or APKmirror, then uninstall the stock Huawei/AppGallery SwiftKey using ADB. Then install the Swiftkey you downloaded. REMEMBER YOU WON'T HAVE A KEYBOARD so make sure you download the apk for the new Swiftkey before removing the preinstalled one.

I added a warning to my original post. However, you could have saved a lot of time by doing:
adb shell cmd package install-existing com.touchtype.swiftkey

Last edited:
Reactions: ptfuzi

hack3rpt

Jul 27, 2020
Thanks for the guide. It works perfectly on the P40 Lite.

Only 1 thing that I wanted to note: on the P40 Lite there is no com.huawei.music package, instead it's called com.android.mediacenter.

I also have a question: will the apps get installed again if I update or factory reset the phone?

H-Emmanuel

Jul 22, 2010
Thanks for the guide. It works perfectly on the P40 Lite.

Only 1 thing that I wanted to note: on the P40 Lite there is no com.huawei.music package, instead it's called com.android.mediacenter.

I also have a question: will the apps get installed again if I update or factory reset the phone?

They will only get reinstalled if you do a factory reset. If you install an update, they won't come back.

ptfuzi

Jul 10, 2017
I updated the phone and some apps came back. I noticed because of the petal search

Enviado do meu ELS-NX9 através do Tapatalk

Dead Cell

Dec 19, 2006
Guys, how do I uninstall Huawei Webview?

Also, do you guys recommend to keep Huawei Cloud or is there a better alternative? I restored a backup and the Gallery images that restored were of a very low file size less than 500 KB whereas the originals were at least 3-5 MB's in size.

I searched Google, but could not find any information on this. If the Cloud versions of images are compressed and a smaller size is restored then Cloud is of no use to me except for restoring phone settings.

Thanks

Last edited:

Cyber.Cat

May 24, 2020
adbappcontrol.com
Hello friends!

I recommend trying my new program for managing applications on android - ADB AppControl.
With it you will forget about the command line. Disable and remove bloatware with an easy-to-use graphical interface. Save disabled apps to a preset and share with others users. Download and install applications. As well as many other cool features, including a convenient console.

I created a preset for ADB AppControl from the list of apps in this topic and you can apply it easily.

You can choose which applications to disable when you load it into the program. If you disable something wrong, you can easily enable it again.

en1.jpg

Download ADB AppControl

Attachments

• P40Pro_Debload_Preset.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 175

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone,

I've spent the last couples days going through all the installed packages, cross-referencing different debloating guides and testing my changes. I'm running the latest EMUI 10.1.0.158 (C636).

RECOMMENDATIONS: if you can, follow this debloating guide right after a factory reset; this simply guarantees a fresh clean start. Otherwise, start by backing up your apps and important files to an external device. The built-in backup app is ideal for preserving your apps and their settings, but make sure to move these backups OFF THE PHONE. Then, you can either remove all the apps (in my guide) all at once, or remove a few at a time and reboot the phone in between. Rebooting in between reduces the chance of "shocking" the OS with too many changes all at once which could result in boot looping. Just keep in mind that I did not find that to be necessary when debloating right after a factory reset, but your mileage may vary.

Here is what I personally debloated without any adverse effect, after 2 weeks of daily use:
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.hicloud ****** Huawei cloud features
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.browser ****** Stock browser, replaced with Mozilla
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.browserhomepage ****** Stock browser component
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.bookmarkprovider ****** Stock bookmark content
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks ****** Stock bookmark content
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.wallet ****** Huawei Wallet app
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.music ****** Stock music application, replaced with PowerAmp (use the APK from their website, it does not rely on Google Services)
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.phoneservice ****** Huawei customer support, also known as HiCare
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.hifolder ****** AppAdvisor
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.parentcontrol ****** Digital balance, parental control features
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.hicard ****** Huawei Cards, no info but recommended in some guides, no negative consequences
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.hitouch ****** Allows you to shop for an object that you took a picture of
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.hiassistantoversea ****** HiVoice. Huawei's voice assistant to replace "Hey Google"
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.fastapp ****** Quick App Center, another type of app distribution
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.imedia.sws ****** Histen. Special sound effects found in the sound settings. I only care about my EQ settings in PowerAmp
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.intelligent ****** Huawei Assistant. Shopping recommendations
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.magazine ****** Magazine unlock. Downloads wallpapers for your lock screen. I don't need my phone needlessly connecting to remote servers
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.hwblockchain ****** I don't do anything blockchain related
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.hwstartupguide ****** A one-time setup app that is no longer needed
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.onetimeinitializer ****** A one-time setup app that is no longer needed
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.android.instantonline ****** No information but recommended in some guides, no negative consequences
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.hwpanpayservice ****** This is payment related, I don't use my phone as a payment method nor do I use Huawei Wallet
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.bjbyhd.screenreader_huawei ****** An accessibility feature for visually impaired people
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.search ****** HiSearch. This does not affect the search bar in the Settings
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.hwdetectrepair ****** Smart Diagnosis app. It diagnoses hardware problems which I could do myself
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.hiview ****** This supposedly displays details/attributes of pictures. After removing this, I can still access the picture attributes in the stock Gallery so I'm not sure what this is actually about
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.hiviewtunnel ****** Related to HiView.
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.hidisk ****** Stock file explorer, replaced with File Manager +
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.android.chr ****** HwChrService, this collects data about your usage of the cellular network. No thanks
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.bd ****** Huawei User Experience app
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.android.karaoke ****** Self explanatory
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.desktop.explorer ****** EMUI Desktop Mode for connecting to an external display
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.android.FloatTasks ****** Navigation Dock, I don't care for that UI feature
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.languagedownloader ****** According to some guides, this is unsafe but I don't need another downloader for something that I'll never use
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.lbs ****** Location Service. Sounds scary but I am still able to use all my GPS and location services. My location based weather widgets, Waze and Google Maps connect just as fast and accurately as before
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.featurelayer.sharedfeature.map ****** Huawei Map Service. I removed it and have no issues using Waze and Google Maps
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.hisi.mapcon ****** This is apparently not recommended when using WiFi calling, which I don't
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.himovie.overseas ****** Stock video application, replaced with VLC. This integrates perfectly with the stock Camera and Gallery apps
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.stk ****** SIM Toolkit. Not supported by US SIM cards
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.mms ****** Stock SMS application, replaced with Pulse. I can still send/receive SMS & MMS. Textra looks like a good alternative too
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.HwMultiScreenShot ****** Scrollshot. Basic screenshots still work, I don't use the knock feature
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.smartshot ****** Smart screenshot. Basic screenshots still work, I don't use the knock feature
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.bluetooth ****** Allows importing phone contacts via Bluetooth, something I've never done in my life
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.swiftkey.swiftkeyconfigurator ****** Older version of SwiftKey, replaced with the latest SwiftKey APK
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.touchtype.swiftkey ****** Older version of SwiftKey, replaced with the latest SwiftKey APK. Do not do this before downloading the APK for your new keyboard otherwise you won't have a keyboard to use to search for a replacement
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.pcassistant ****** Used when connecting your phone to your PC using HiSuite
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.egg ****** A hidden animation that no one needs to see
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.backupconfirm ****** Google Backup, unusable without Google Services. This does not affect Huawei's backup app, I was able to back up all my apps and settings
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.calllogbackup ****** Google Call Log Backup/Restore. This does not affect Huawei's backup app, I was able to back up my calls successfully
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.scanner ****** AI Lens. Shop for objects that you take a picture of. I can't stand these "features" that revolve around shopping. This de-clutters the camera interface by removing the AI Lens button on the top left corner and does not break the AR Measure app.
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.contacts ****** Dialer & contacts app. I first installed my dialer replacement, True Phone (version 2.0.0-hw rev 99 from the AppGallery) and then ran this command. Although this should not actually delete your contacts, make sure to back them up. I've had absolutely 0 issue making or receiving calls after deleting the stock dialer.
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.hwsearch ****** Petal Search widget. I personally use APKPure and sometimes the AppGallery.
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 package:com.huawei.android.hwupgradeguide ****** New package that came with .158. There is no description online but judging from the name, I don't need it

NOTICE THAT I DO NOT INCLUDE THE -k PARAMETER IN MY COMMANDS, unlike most guides found online. I do not get any error running the commands as such, and it actually clears the data created by those apps. In other words, we're not only debloating your user interface but also your storage!

To restore any app removed via ADB:
    adb shell cmd package install-existing <package_name>

I always try to uninstall apps through Android before resorting to ADB. I did not really keep track of apps that I uninstalled through the menu, so it's just easier to tell you which stock apps I kept installed. By stock app, I ONLY MEAN actual apps that you can open from the home screen:
    -AppGallery. This requires com.huawei.hwid to work. I needed it to get Snapchat, I might ADB-uninstall it now that Snapchat is installed
    -Phone Clone. This could always be useful for porting apps over
    -Optimizer
    -Themes
    -Live wallpaper (com.huawei.livewallpaper.paradise, also known as Brocade)
    -Calendar widget/app
    -Camera. Obviously. Who in their right mind would get this phone lacking a major component of Android (Play Services), if not for the camera
    -Gallery. For pictures and editing
    -Contacts. This is also the phone dialer. I have now uninstalled this app and replaced it with True Dialer 2.0 by Hamster Beat (available on AppGallery)
    -Compass. Works great
    -Smart Remote. If I ever decide to make use of my IR blaster
    -AR Measure. I usually don't care for stuff like this but this actually works great and looks awesome

Here are apps/system processes that actually have an uninstall button but that I DID NOT UNINSTALL:
    -Backup (com.huawei.KoBackup). I use this app to create backups periodically. Without root, this native app is able to backup a lot more than any other 3rd party backup app
    -com.huawei.game.kitserver (I don't play games but if I ever decide to, I'd like to avoid breaking features)
    -Contacts Sync (com.huawei.contacts.sync). I have now uninstalled this app as I no longer use the stock dialer (com.huawei.contacts)
    -Storage manager (com.android.storemanager)

My goal is to remove low quality, "spyware" or unnecessary apps without removing or breaking useful features. "Useful" is always a little subjective, so decide for yourself based on my descriptions and comments!
    Hello friends!

I recommend trying my new program for managing applications on android - ADB AppControl.
    With it you will forget about the command line. Disable and remove bloatware with an easy-to-use graphical interface. Save disabled apps to a preset and share with others users. Download and install applications. As well as many other cool features, including a convenient console.

I created a preset for ADB AppControl from the list of apps in this topic and you can apply it easily.

You can choose which applications to disable when you load it into the program. If you disable something wrong, you can easily enable it again.

en1.jpg

Download ADB AppControl
    I added AI Lens to my debloat list.

I just updated to 10.1.0.122 and did not find new packages installed or restored as part of the ROM update.
    Alright. If I understand correctly, you also removed things that were not on my list, correct?

That's correct yes. You won't really know if the things you've removed were safe to remove until you've restarted the phone pretty much
    Parental control where ??
    I had that problem on the child's Google account, if I'm not wrong, when they started to use Classroom for school, and I had to change his birthday to be able to install anything on his phone, without restrictions.