• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

P40 Pro + or should I avoid it

Search This thread

komnz

Feb 15, 2021
Hi Guys,

my wife is still using her p20 pro and she likes do upgrade it.

Use Case: Facebook/Messenger, Line App, Youtube (mybe google maps but thats rly kind of optional)

98% front camera

So I was looking for the best frontcam or selfie camera I can find, regardless of price.

p40 pro+ seems to be the best (checked s20 ultra too).

She does not need any more apps (maybe some kind oof photo editing but not soecial ones)

Would you recommend upgrading to p40 pro+ ?

Thank you

BR, Konz

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020
I too have a P20 Pro and what an excellent phone it has been. I bought a P40 Pro + in October last year and it took me a very long time to get GMS sorted out on the phone.

My phone arrived pre-installed with 10.1.0.176. I achieved installing GMS by downgrading to 10.1.0.145; whilst I was finally able to install GMS, I have achieved it at the cost of losing OTA updates. I am currently looking to fix this (see this thread) but it seems the firmware I need is no longer available - so I am stuck again.

Yes, the phone & hardware is great but Huawei are doing their level best to make sure you can't use that hardware in the way you might want.

If you are willing to go through a whole lot of pain, then you *might* end up with a great phone. It's March 2021, six months down the line and I am still not there.

Huawei could have stuck the big finger up at Google & poured their immense dev effort into contributing & sorting out MicroG, but it seems that's far to altruistic for Huawei. They could have unlocked the bootloader but again that's far too altruistic for Huawei, for whom it seems to me your very expensive phone is simply a doorway into your private life and as a customer you really don't matter at all.

Looking back and considering the stuffy response I received to my support request, I'd advise your wife to hang on the her very decent P20 Pro and wait for another company to include a 10x zoom.

In short, in my humble opinion Huawei does not deserve your wife's custom.

With my best regards, Kitty Cat.

jackpaul_2016

Feb 4, 2016
I too have a P20 Pro and what an excellent phone it has been. I bought a P40 Pro + in October last year and it took me a very long time to get GMS sorted out on the phone.

My phone arrived pre-installed with 10.1.0.176. I achieved installing GMS by downgrading to 10.1.0.145; whilst I was finally able to install GMS, I have achieved it at the cost of losing OTA updates. I am currently looking to fix this (see this thread) but it seems the firmware I need is no longer available - so I am stuck again.

Yes, the phone & hardware is great but Huawei are doing their level best to make sure you can't use that hardware in the way you might want.

If you are willing to go through a whole lot of pain, then you *might* end up with a great phone. It's March 2021, six months down the line and I am still not there.

Huawei could have stuck the big finger up at Google & poured their immense dev effort into contributing & sorting out MicroG, but it seems that's far to altruistic for Huawei. They could have unlocked the bootloader but again that's far too altruistic for Huawei, for whom it seems to me your very expensive phone is simply a doorway into your private life and as a customer you really don't matter at all.

Looking back and considering the stuffy response I received to my support request, I'd advise your wife to hang on the her very decent P20 Pro and wait for another company to include a 10x zoom.

In short, in my humble opinion Huawei does not deserve your wife's custom.

With my best regards, Kitty Cat.
Sir

Pls can you tell me the whole process how to downgrading and install gas?

Niraj

RedWave31

May 9, 2007
Huawei P40 Pro
Don't ever buy a phone without a bootloader unlock option if you're a XDA user.
I'm returning my P40Pro+, felt completely trapped with critical apps unavailable (2FA Authenticator, Banks...).
SAD, but Huawei is becoming a software provider, so...

Shymmy

Feb 22, 2014
Bucharest
Huawei P9
Huawei P10 Lite
Use Case: Facebook/Messenger, Line App, Youtube (mybe google maps but thats rly kind of optional)

She does not need any more apps (maybe some kind oof photo editing but not soecial ones)
These applications run without the express need for GMS.
However, GMS can be installed on the P40 pro without any problems, I don't see why this could not be done on the P40 pro + as well.
With GMS installed you will have a 100% functional phone with no GMS restrictions.
Contact @ badmania98 and he will clarify in detail, what can be done and what not. But I think so, that GMS can be installed without problems and she will be able to use the phone at full capacity, without restrictions.

@RedWave31,
I don't think the P40 pro + is too different from the P40 pro ...
I installed GMS on the P40 pro since I bought it and used it without any problems, including NFC payment (in the meantime I switched to Mate40 pro, P40 pro remained with my son).

Last edited: