• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question P6/P weights

Search This thread

dnaL0R

Oct 11, 2009
Hey gang,

I'm trying to figure out if the PRO version is worth the extra 3 bills, coming up with the pros n cons for each.

According to Google, there is only a 3g difference between the two: 207g vs 210g.

P6P seems to be par for the course, but the regular P6 is pretty heavy for its size

Last edited:
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
The pros and cons have been already discussed all day long, in various forums, to various length 'n degrees. Not sure what kind of informations you are looking for.

There has never been a bigger difference in specs between two Google devices of the same generation. It's a no brainer. Go for the P6 Pro or look for another phone manufacturer. The "smaller" P6 is lacking so much, it's not worth the pricetag.

Back in the days when we had a "real" small Pixel, that size difference could have been an argument. But now that the "ordinary" P6 is as big as the previous XL models, and the Pro is only 5mm bigger than it's smaller sibling... that argument falls out the window.

The only reason I can come up with and respect (making a choice between the two in favor of the P6) are the colors. The pro colors are a joke. Dull, strange, sad. Milkish, grayish abominations.

The colors available for the smaller P6 are much better.

Other than that...

Reactions: 94b20gsr

DinarQ8

Nov 23, 2010
Kuwait City
Hey gang,

I'm trying to figure out if the PRO version is worth the extra 3 bills, coming up with the pros n cons for each.

According to Google, there is only a 3g difference between the two: 207g vs 210g.

P6P seems to be par for the course, but the regular P6 is pretty heavy for its size
Actually the P6P Dimensions seem look like Galaxy S21 Ultra

S21 Ultra 227g
Pixel 6 P 210g

I think that not bad

The pros and cons have been already discussed all day long, in various forums, to various length 'n degrees. Not sure what kind of informations you are looking for.

There has never been a bigger difference in specs between two Google devices of the same generation. It's a no brainer. Go for the P6 Pro or look for another phone manufacturer. The "smaller" P6 is lacking so much, it's not worth the pricetag.

Back in the days when we had a "real" small Pixel, that size difference could have been an argument. But now that the "ordinary" P6 is as big as the previous XL models, and the Pro is only 5mm bigger than it's smaller sibling... that argument falls out the window.

The only reason I can come up with and respect (making a choice between the two in favor of the P6) are the colors. The pro colors are a joke. Dull, strange, sad. Milkish, grayish abominations.

Other than that...
Well, for some it's actually hard to justify extra 300 bucks to pay for the pro. 120/90 hz screen, thicker bezels and zoom camera? Is it really worth it? For some yes, for some absolotely not. Definitely Pro is not a no brainer.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Well, for some it's actually hard to justify extra 300 bucks to pay for the pro. 120/90 hz screen, thicker bezels and zoom camera? Is it really worth it? For some yes, for some absolotely not. Definitely Pro is not a no brainer.
If those were the only reasons, then yes 300 extra bucks wouldn't be a no brainer.

But... pro Pixel 6 PRO vs Pixel 6

1. - QHD vs FHD (1440x3120 vs 1080x2400 pixels | 512ppi vs 411 ppi)
  2. - 120HZ vs 90 HZ
  3. - LTPO panel tech (basically VRR; adaptive display tech (it's an Apple patent, by the way) - can lower display down to 10hz to conserve massive amount of energy, the small P6 doesn't have that - BIG reason)
  4. - 5003 mAh vs. 4614 mAh
  5. - 12GB RAM vs 8 GB RAM (50% is a heckload, especially for future proofing - just remember the P3 and all those apps closing in the background after you had only 3 open)
  6. - bigger storage (512 in US, 256 in other regions, most countries don't even have Pixel 6 non pro with more than 128 GB)​
  7. - Periscope telecam -> 4optical+20digital zoom vs 7digital zoom)
  8. - better selfie cam (11,1 MP vs 8MP | 4K + wider angle (94 vs. 84 degrees) vs. FullHD 30FPS (not even 60))
  9. - smaller bezels
  10. - faster wireless charging speed (23w vs 21w)
  11. - UWB (only pro has it, only god knows why the smaller P6 doesn't have it) - UWB is a next gen communication protocol, a bit like NFC, but much stronger. Is being used to unlock cars, doors etc.
  12. - rear glass panel is also made out of Gorilla Glass Victus (p6 only has front Victus, back in Gorilla Glass 6)
  13. - Higher quality material for the phone chassie -> tougher, more durable
  14. - supports mmWave naturally (P6 special version with mmWave is more expensive and costs 100 bucks more)
  15. - There are also differences in the camera tech, I dont remember precisely from Googles event, but the P6 pro can do more modi and higher FPS modes concerning shooting a video whilst zooming in or using ultrawide)
  • ONLY EUROPE - It should also be noted that the difference in Europe is "only" 250 € between the P6 and the P6 pro (649 € vs. 899 €), not 300 $ like in the US. That makes the choice even easier.
Concerning the bezels and the material - the P6 Pro just "feels" much more premium than the P6. Some might even say "is" - but let's leave it at feel. That alone is worth money. Judge it for yourself. Here is a screenshot attached to emphasize on that argument:

1634831915933.png

And that's not even all of it.

There are so many reasons, it's almost ridiculous. Google was once known to release two devices with similar tech, only difference in size and battery - now?

Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 94b20gsr

dnaL0R

Oct 11, 2009
Of course the PRO version will be better, but shelling out 50% more for it is not a no-brainer, at least to me. We can all make our own decisions to see if the upgrades justifies the $300 price premium. To each their own.

My real question or what I was looking to figure out was why the weights of these two phones is nearly identical. I'd think the ~500mAh increase in battery size alone would be more than 3 grams.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Of course the PRO version will be better, but shelling out 50% more for it is not a no-brainer, at least to me. We can all make our own decisions to see if the upgrades justifies the $300 price premium. To each their own.

My real question or what I was looking to figure out was why the weights of these two phones is nearly identical. I'd think the ~500mAh increase in battery size alone would be more than 3 grams.
Well, both the assembly and disassembly videos of the P6 and P6 Pro have been leaked a couple of weeks ago. I'd suggest to watch these to see why there is only a marginal weight difference. It probably comes down to the number of brackets used to cover stuff up because the P6 lacks some of the P6 Pros hardware, but in the end it's a question only Google can answer. Or someone that took the phone apart and weighed every single part.

Last edited:
If those were the only reasons, then yes 300 extra bucks wouldn't be a no brainer.

2. - 120HZ vs 90 HZ
  3. - LTPO panel tech (basically VRR; adaptive display tech (it's an Apple patent, by the way) - can lower display down to 10hz to conserve massive amount of energy, the small P6 doesn't have that - BIG reason)
  5. - 12GB RAM vs 8 GB RAM (50% is a heckload, especially for future proofing - just remember the P3 and all those apps closing in the background after you had only 3 open)
  6. - bigger storage (512 in US, 256 in other regions, most countries don't even have Pixel 6 non pro with more than 128 GB)​
  8. - better selfie cam (11,1 MP vs 8MP | 4K + wider angle (94 vs. 84 degrees) vs. FullHD 30FPS (not even 60))
  9. - smaller bezels
  11. - UWB (only pro has it, only god knows why the smaller P6 doesn't have it) - UWB is a next gen communication protocol, a bit like NFC, but much stronger. Is being used to unlock cars, doors etc.
  12. - rear glass panel is also made out of Gorilla Glass Victus (p6 only has front Victus, back in Gorilla Glass 6)
  14. - supports mmWave naturally (P6 special version with mmWave is more expensive and costs 100 bucks more)
  15. - There are also differences in the camera tech, I dont remember precisely from Googles event, but the P6 pro can do more modi and higher FPS modes concerning shooting a video whilst zooming in or using ultrawide)
  • ONLY EUROPE - It should also be noted that the difference in Europe is "only" 250 € between the P6 and the P6 pro (649 € vs. 899 €), not 300 $ like in the US. That makes the choice even easier.
Concerning the bezels and the material - the P6 Pro just "feels" much more premium than the P6. Some might even say "is" - but let's leave it at feel. That alone is worth money. Judge it for yourself. Here is a screenshot attached to emphasize on that argument:

View attachment 5438175

There are so many reasons, it's almost ridiculous. Google was once known to release two devices with similar tech, only difference in size and battery - now?

Lol.
Calm down. The panel, I mentioned. The resolution is negligible, really. 2 W charging speed faster, worth mentioning :). Yes, the battery I agree, may be quite a difference in terms of SOT. 250 EUR is 290 USD mate, so we can throw that one out also. For some people, all of these you mention, are definitely not worth spending the extra juice. That's the reality. There is no confirmation that the chassis is better materials in the Pro, some sources say it's stainless steel, some don't. Google needs to confirm.

Google needed to position premium and affordable device. That came with a cost. Their sales plummeted, Pixel 5 sales is -78% vs P4. I assume P6 will sell better than P6 pro.

Reactions: ginfest

dnaL0R

Oct 11, 2009
Gotta pay to play, no doubt, but for some, it may not be worth $300 extra.

Re the weights, I'll check out the teardown vid to see what kinda fillers google put inside the regular P6, haha.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hey gang,

Other than that...

Other than that...

2. - 120HZ vs 90 HZ
    9. - smaller bezels

1634831915933.png

Lol.