• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question P6P or P6?

Search This thread

HipKat

Recognized Contributor
If this is asked, I didn't see it but I wanted to ask the guys using the P6P before I decide which way I'm going, are you happy with the 6P or would trade down for the P6 Pro? And I ask this as someone who always goes with the bigger version (P4 XL, currently for example).

I'm guessing there are some of yo have test-driven both.

And if so, I'm curious about why or why not?? The extra $300 is a little harder to swallow 2 months after buying a house in an inflating economy...

Gytole

Aug 7, 2013
If this is asked, I didn't see it but I wanted to ask the guys using the P6P before I decide which way I'm going, are you happy with the 6P or would trade down for the P6 Pro? And I ask this as someone who always goes with the bigger version (P4 XL, currently for example).

And if so, I'm curious about why or why not?? The extra $300 is a little harder to swallow 2 months after buying a house in an inflating economy...
I decided on the pro for the LTPO display and the 48 telephoto. I learned quickly that 120hz eats the battery so I keep it at 60 which helps a LOT.

Other than that if I had a choice to go back and save the 300 I probably would. It's not that much better. And the stereo speakers are not balanced AT all.

Reactions: Sine. and HipKat

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
I decided on the pro for the LTPO display and the 48 telephoto. I learned quickly that 120hz eats the battery so I keep it at 60 which helps a LOT.
That's actually - at the moment - not true. There seems to be a strange bug.

HipKat

Recognized Contributor

Other than that if I had a choice to go back and save the 300 I probably would. It's not that much better. And the stereo speakers are not balanced AT all.
I appreciate that. It's one of the reasons that I not sure which way to go, in that I don't need the enhanced resolution because I don't watch video on my phone or play games. It's just a nice feature to have it I guess but it's not a deal-breaker. The extra size is nice but mostly it's performance that I look for and from what I've read it's not a huge difference between devices.

Thanks for the input!

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015

I'm very happy with the P6 Pro and don't want to miss it. I come from the Pixel 4 XL, so the new wide cam is a nice addition. Considering that the P6 Pro has a magnificent Tele zoom (better than the new IPhones), there is no way that I would go to the Pixel 6 non pro, certainly not for "just" 300 bucks. There are just too many arguments - that matter to me - that make the Pixel 6 Pro the better value for my money.

If we would live in a better world, the Pixel 6 would have the same size than the older "non" xl/pro versions - so in that case, if the Pixel 6 would be a small phone, I would maybe consider it. But since the Pixel 6 is as big as the P6 Pro...

Jea, nah. No.

Reactions: HipKat

crucialcolin

Jun 14, 2012
welcome to the indecisiveness club. The pro has that curve which Im not sure about but on the regular 6 you loose that QHD display(my 2 XL has it) and loose telephoto. Hell I can't even decide if want either new device with the fingerprint complaints LOL.

Reactions: phubarr

Note10.1Dude

Dec 17, 2013
California
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 3
I tried out both the 6 and the Pro over the weekend. Colour temperature of the screen was a bit different, but I couldn't see a difference in clarity (resolution) at arm's length. Small difference in phone size. The telephoto on the Pro was super nice, but the curved screen was awful - hit edge of screen when holding phone. I'm going to put on a case, which should help, but the feel in the hand and curved screen were enough to push me to save the $.

I'm on T-mobile, who theoretically have some mmwave coverage, but at least today I don't think I am going to miss those bands in real-time use (heck, the LTE bands barely penetrate my building).

Zorachus

Dec 15, 2010
Lombard, IL.
I do have both phones. Wife murdering me ugh.

Ordered the Cloudy White Pixel 6 Pro originally, and had it delivered, and upon opening the box and looking over this super cool new phone, the curved edge display jumped out at me, not in a good way. The screen edges looked like an old Samsung Galaxy phone from years ago, just a dated look, and they add absolutely nothing useful to the phone. Feels more like a Samsung phone, not a Google Pixel.

Plus tapping on the phone or using the keyboard, there's this strange hollow feel behind the 6 Pro, hard to describe until you have it in your hands, but it feels sort of cheap.

I then went to T-Mobile, picked up a Seamfoam green Pixel 6, and my goodness, night and day better. Just feels rock solid, the FLAT screen a dream. This Pixel 6 feels more Google type, and just a nicer phone to hold and use.

But I will admit, the 6 Pro does feel slightly faster and smoother than the 6.

HipKat

Recognized Contributor
If you have to question if the extra $300 is worth it for the 6 Pro, just go for the 6. The 6 is the Pixel for most people anyway. I went with the 6 Pro because I want the best Google has to offer and the 6 isn't it. I'm a previous 2 XL and 4 XL owner.
And that's just it. I always go for the bigger model, but times are a little tough right now, which is the only reason I'm even debating one or the other

Burt Squirtz

Feb 11, 2018
I'm very happy with the P6 Pro and don't want to miss it. I come from the Pixel 4 XL, so the new wide cam is a nice addition. Considering that the P6 Pro has a magnificent Tele zoom (better than the new IPhones), there is no way that I would go to the Pixel 6 non pro, certainly not for "just" 300 bucks. There are just too many arguments - that matter to me - that make the Pixel 6 Pro the better value for my money.

If we would live in a better world, the Pixel 6 would have the same size than the older "non" xl/pro versions - so in that case, if the Pixel 6 would be a small phone, I would maybe consider it. But since the Pixel 6 is as big as the P6 Pro...

Jea, nah. No.
Lol this guy knows what he's talking about. I love the pixel 6 pro. When i walked into best buy 2 weeks ago, i instantly noticed a stark difference between it and the normal 6. The resolution difference is immediately noticeable. The smoothness, also instantly noticable. People that say they don't notice a difference between 90 and 120hz, well, all i can say is these people need their eyes checked. It's as obvious as night and day.

The biggest thing that left an unfavorable taste in my mouth, was how much the normal pixel 6 looks like a phone that was released in early 2018. Those. Massive. Antiquated. Bezels. Those bezels are simply to huge and gross. Also nobody seems to be pointing out the obvious. The build quality on the 6 looks very lackluster, and way less premium than the 6 pro . Just my two cents.

Do i wish the pixel 6 pro had a less curved screen? Sure, of course. After using the phone though, the curves are so appealing to the design asthetic, and it rests so ergonomically and beautifully in the hand. Google was also careful to design the curves to not refract light to much, or cause app padding/distortion. I love this device.

Many people or complaining about the fingerprint sensor and saying it's bad. It's not quite fast as OP9 Pro, but it's simply excellent. I have four prints for each thumb, screen sensitivity is set to to on and it's blazing fast and works every time.

Now, with that said, there most definitely are some legitimate complaints about this device, in my opinion. That unequivocally would be the charging speed, and the color reproduction. Thanks to some awesome third party apps, this problem is completely fixed. My device charges at more than acceptable speed, and the colors have a vibrant, slightly cooler whitepoint. No more beyond fugly piss colored screen. I'm on cloud 9.

Last edited:

Burt Squirtz

Feb 11, 2018

Bro do what you want, but 60 hz should be banned and retired. Without exaggeration, it really is that bad. Stuttery, janky, and looks horrible. Not only that, but the battery savings are not profound. To make matters even worse, it's been reported by Ars Technica, that 60 hz on the pro is currently inexplicably worse battery life than 120hz. I know, i know, that makes zero sense.

Bottom line is 60 hz should be removed completely from 2021 devices for scrolling in my opinion. 60 hz was decent a few years ago, because we simply didn't know any better. We don't know what we don't know. The experience with it is horrible. The screen LTPO should only fluctuate between 90 and 120, for movement IMHO. Of course once the screen goes static, i don't care if the hz stops down to 30, as long as it's hidden well, once you touch the screen again.

Last edited:

EMJI79

Sep 7, 2014
Paris
OnePlus 9 Pro
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Lol this guy knows what he's talking about. I love the pixel 6 pro. When i walked into best buy 2 weeks ago, i instantly noticed a stark difference between it and the normal 6. The resolution difference is immediately noticeable. The smoothness, also instantly noticable. People that say they don't notice a difference between 90 and 120hz, well, all i can say is these people need their eyes checked. It's as obvious as night and day.

The biggest thing that left an unfavorable taste in my mouth, was how much the normal pixel 6 looks like a phone that was released in early 2018. Those. Massive. Antiquated. Bezels. Those bezels are simply to huge and gross. Also nobody seems to be pointing out the obvious. The build quality on the 6 looks very lackluster, and way less premium than the 6 pro . Just my two cents.

Do i wish the pixel 6 pro had a less curved screen? Sure, of course. After using the phone though, the curves are so appealing to the design asthetic, and it rests so ergonomically and beautifully in the hand. Google was also careful to design the curves to not refract light to much, or cause app padding/distortion. I love this device.

Many people or complaining about the fingerprint sensor and saying it's bad. It's not quite fast as OP9 Pro, but it's simply excellent. I have four prints for each thumb, screen sensitivity is set to to on and it's blazing fast and works every time.

Now, with that said, there most definitely are some legitimate complaints about this device, in my opinion. That unequivocally would be the charging speed, and the color reproduction. Thanks to some awesome third party apps, this problem is completely fixed. My device charges at more than acceptable speed, and the colors have a vibrant, slightly cooler whitepoint. No more beyond fugly piss colored screen. I'm on cloud 9.

Can I ask you what third party app you used to change color reproduction ?

miravision

Oct 5, 2021
The thick bezels on the regular 6 are a turn off for me, so the P6P it is despite the LTPO display being limited by the SOC's lack of Auto-VRR switching

Not even a $300 tag would justify those bezels which look more like a ploy to upsell you to the (arguably) more aesthetically pleasing P6P

Last edited:

Burt Squirtz

Feb 11, 2018
The thick bezels on the regular 6 are a turn off for me, so the P6P it is despite the LTPO display being limited by the SOC's lack of Auto-VRR switching

Not even a $300 tag would justify those bezels which look more like a ploy to upsell you to the (arguably) more aesthetically pleasing P6P
I couldn't agree with this more. I'm surprised that the masses don't see this. There's tons of dumb posts of people thinking the P6 is a better choice, on Reddit and this forum. Scratching my head.

miravision

Oct 5, 2021
People are bound to justify their purchase decisions despite contrary facts presented. Case in point, people accepting the Notch, first brought to market by Essential and made popular by Apple

I like how every new product release brings to light the previous version's shortcomings but people are too eager to justify their next new purchase, time and time again, with Capitalism ensuring that each version of product has at least one deliberate flaw introduced that is conveniently fixed with a brand new purchase of the next iteration. Never Settle

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm loving my P6P. I got the 512gb version but regardless of that I would have chosen the p6p anyway. I wanted all 3 cameras and 120hz. I only wish I could have gotten the 512gb in cloudy white as that was my preferred color choice but stormy black is sleek too. That telephoto lens is aces👍 I'm coming from a op7pro so curved is not an issue for me.
    That's actually - at the moment - not true. There seems to be a strange bug.

I do have both phones. Wife murdering me ugh.

Ordered the Cloudy White Pixel 6 Pro originally, and had it delivered, and upon opening the box and looking over this super cool new phone, the curved edge display jumped out at me, not in a good way. The screen edges looked like an old Samsung Galaxy phone from years ago, just a dated look, and they add absolutely nothing useful to the phone. Feels more like a Samsung phone, not a Google Pixel.

Plus tapping on the phone or using the keyboard, there's this strange hollow feel behind the 6 Pro, hard to describe until you have it in your hands, but it feels sort of cheap.

I then went to T-Mobile, picked up a Seamfoam green Pixel 6, and my goodness, night and day better. Just feels rock solid, the FLAT screen a dream. This Pixel 6 feels more Google type, and just a nicer phone to hold and use.

But I will admit, the 6 Pro does feel slightly faster and smoother than the 6.
    If you have to question if the extra $300 is worth it for the 6 Pro, just go for the 6. The 6 is the Pixel for most people anyway. I went with the 6 Pro because I want the best Google has to offer and the 6 isn't it. I'm a previous 2 XL and 4 XL owner.
    And that's just it. I always go for the bigger model, but times are a little tough right now, which is the only reason I'm even debating one or the other