• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question P6P or P6?

Search This thread

Burt Squirtz

Feb 11, 2018
I'm sure the P6 is exactly what some folks need, and hard to justify a 50% ($300) price difference for P6P. If they had a 512 GB model of the P6, I would've considered it, and it's at least slightly smaller - some folks don't want a bigger phone, and having a flat-screen is at least some advantage.
A flat screened device with noticeably worse build quality, huge 2018 bezels, and a litany of other small things that add up to big things.

Reactions: Jiggs82

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
A flat screened device with noticeably worse build quality, huge 2018 bezels, and a litany of other small things that add up to big things.

$300 is a huge difference and an even larger difference to some people. It's still a phone, a smartphone, and a Google phone with most of the advantages in software that the P6P has. The right choice isn't going to be the same thing for everyone. I even agree with my one non-tech-friendly sister that she should stick with Apple (Macs and iPhones). For folks like her, it just wouldn't make sense that she get an Android, or probably, more importantly, change from what she's familiar with.

If I could get the P6P with a flat-screen but huge bezels, I would've chosen that, too.

It's all about the whole thing, not just a few aspects, and the P6 is overall the right phone for some folks, whether it's because of money they can't justify spending, not wanting a bigger screen than the P6, or what have you.

For you and me, the right phone is the P6P, but in my case, that's mostly because of the 512 GB storage model.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
It's a tough pill to swallow, even at a really good price, but still only $200 less than the Sony xX900 TV I just got at Best Buy last month lol. Crazy that phone costs like a spectacular TV
How right you are!

Just five years ago, I bought two Pixel 1s (32 GB) at $240 each. It was a stupidly low price for such a phone. At that time, I was balking at the idea of paying $500 regular price for flagship phones, and now we're at double that and then some for the best of the best. Crazy.

Reactions: HipKat

miravision

Oct 5, 2021
I think its the amount of man hours working on a product that could be a good indicator of value. Enhancements are stark, year on year
Engineers working on the Sony x900 might be 1/10th that of the entire Pixel phone design, hardware, software and services supply chain.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
My house has a regular P6 and a P6P, and I've played extensively on both. I own the pro, got it for the superior screen and the telephoto.

The choice really comes down to if you can deal with the design of the regular, with it's bezels, and if you really need a telephoto lens imo. The regular P6 90hz screen is perfectly adequate for me, and the price point is way more reasonable. The really big thing going for it is the battery life - my pro averages about 1-2 hours overall use less than the regular, which is more dramatic than I expected. I still get around 8-10 SOT on the pro, so not a big deal, but noticable for sure.

If you really need that 120hz screen and camera zoom, go for it. Barring that, the two devices are closer than you would think. One last note - the speakers on the pro are noticably better, so that's something to consider if you're an audiophile.

Last edited:

krips2003

Sep 27, 2009
Louisville
I own P6P. I wanted another P6P for my wife who's still happy with Pixel 2XL 😂 . I asked her to check my phone and see if she want this phone or not. Her first question was, "Which one is cheaper and by how much?" And she asked me to order P6. Sshhhhh.. she asked me to order the 128GB version but I ordered the 256GB version and explained her that we got $100 off for the 'Pixel buds' and confused her with the actual price of the device 😂;)

Last edited:

galaxys

Recognized Contributor
May 9, 2007
Cosmos
OnePlus 9 Pro
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I own P6P. I wanted another P6P for my wife who's still happy with Pixel 2XL 😂 . I asked her to check my phone and see if she want this phone or not. Her first question was, "Which one is cheaper and by how much?" And she asked me to order P6P. Sshhhhh.. she asked me to order the 128GB version but I ordered the 256GB version and explained her that we got $100 off for the 'Pixel buds' and confused her with the actual price of the device 😂;)
Story to be continued...📱📴🤣

miravision

Oct 5, 2021
I envy people who aren't spoilt and are honestly happy with what they already own and don't know or care what they are missing out on.

Reactions: Alekos

vibrantliker

My house has a regular P6 and a P6P, and I've played extensively on both. I own the pro, got it for the superior screen and the telephoto.

The choice really comes down to if you can deal with the design of the regular, with it's bezels, and if you really need a telephoto lens imo. The regular P6 90hz screen is perfectly adequate for me, and the price point is way more reasonable. The really big thing going for it is the battery life - my pro averages about 1-2 hours overall use less than the regular, which is more dramatic than I expected. I still get around 8-10 SOT on the pro, so not a big deal, but noticable for sure.

If you really need that 120hz screen and camera zoom, go for it. Barring that, the two devices are closer than you would think. One last note - the speakers on the pro are noticably better, so that's something to consider if you're an audiophile.
Not sure if audiophiles are listening to the speakers in the phone. Regarding headphones, I have very high-end gear and use the Pixel as my source (with V4a of course), I have both the P6 and the P6 pro and comparing if the pro sounds better than the P6 and they sound the same to me (with headphones)

HipKat

Recognized Contributor

Good review. I only stream music through my Vehicle radios. Anything else I listen to isn't on my phone

Reactions: galaxys

HipKat

Recognized Contributor
Well I ended up getting the pro. My pixel 4 XL started having the battery meter error that is showing up on those devices after Android 12 and there's no real fix for it which expedited me into getting a new phone. Unfortunately I did not buy one outright because I just don't have the money right now for that. That so I went to Verizon where they gave me a hell of a nice trade-in on my old device. So I got the phone but I guess I'm never going to be able to root it, sadly

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
I have always been used to the larger screen phones so I went with the Pro. To me the 1440p vs 1080p is noticeable as I do watch Youtube often on my phone. The 90hz vs 120hz is also noticeable but not as much as I thought. I came from the Pixel 4XL and felt like that was very smooth. The P6 Pro is quicker in that regard and smoother.

My brother has a Iphone 13 Pro Max. He also came from Android and he would get all my Pixel devices as hand me downs when I would upgrade almost every year..except I skipped Pixel 4a and Pixel 5's.

The 120hz on his Iphone does not, at least to me, feel as quick and as responsive as it does on my P6 Pro. I even went into his Settings to make sure it was enabled and it was but it did not feel the same scrolling through his home screens and app drawer.

The only thing I don't like about the Pro is the battery life, which I am currently investigating. Battery life is why my brother went with Iphone. I haven't used an Iphone since the 4 so I don't think I would be able to swap from Android at this point but he always makes fun of how he refers to the battery percentage on my phone like a countdown clock.

Overall, the regular 6 is positioned at a super attractive price for one of the best Android phones you can currently get. It really comes down to if you prefer a bigger screen/phone and if you need the telephoto or wide angle lenses.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
The 120hz on his Iphone does not, at least to me, feel as quick and as responsive as it does on my P6 Pro. I even went into his Settings to make sure it was enabled and it was but it did not feel the same scrolling through his home screens and app drawer.
The difference - probably - comes down to the animation scale, it's a tad more aggressive on Android. Also maybe you lowered it to 0.5? By playing around with the animation scale (I always set it to 0, since that feels omega fluid), a phone "feels" much more snappy and responsive, even though it's just as fast as any other flagship.

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
The difference - probably - comes down to the animation scale, it's a tad more aggressive on Android. Also maybe you lowered it to 0.5? By playing around with the animation scale (I always set it to 0, since that feels omega fluid), a phone "feels" much more snappy and responsive, even though it's just as fast as any other flagship.
I know about the animation scale but I have not changed that on my phone, since I felt like on stock it felt quick enough for me.

HipKat

Recognized Contributor
This is the first phone where I haven't changed the Animation Scale. Battery life is what it is. I'm not complaining and I assume it'll settle in like most phones. So far, I have zero complaints and glad I went wit the Pro. I would have been always nagging over it if I went the P6.

Fingerprint reader has been fine, unlike the early complaints I read.

The Camera is epic. I mean pics are just amazing looking.

I'm only curious why the December Update won't show up, when it looks like it was finally released last week

Reactions: galaxys and jenneh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm loving my P6P. I got the 512gb version but regardless of that I would have chosen the p6p anyway. I wanted all 3 cameras and 120hz. I only wish I could have gotten the 512gb in cloudy white as that was my preferred color choice but stormy black is sleek too. That telephoto lens is aces👍 I'm coming from a op7pro so curved is not an issue for me.
    I decided on the pro for the LTPO display and the 48 telephoto. I learned quickly that 120hz eats the battery so I keep it at 60 which helps a LOT.
    That's actually - at the moment - not true. There seems to be a strange bug.

I do have both phones. Wife murdering me ugh.

Ordered the Cloudy White Pixel 6 Pro originally, and had it delivered, and upon opening the box and looking over this super cool new phone, the curved edge display jumped out at me, not in a good way. The screen edges looked like an old Samsung Galaxy phone from years ago, just a dated look, and they add absolutely nothing useful to the phone. Feels more like a Samsung phone, not a Google Pixel.

Plus tapping on the phone or using the keyboard, there's this strange hollow feel behind the 6 Pro, hard to describe until you have it in your hands, but it feels sort of cheap.

I then went to T-Mobile, picked up a Seamfoam green Pixel 6, and my goodness, night and day better. Just feels rock solid, the FLAT screen a dream. This Pixel 6 feels more Google type, and just a nicer phone to hold and use.

But I will admit, the 6 Pro does feel slightly faster and smoother than the 6.
    If you have to question if the extra $300 is worth it for the 6 Pro, just go for the 6. The 6 is the Pixel for most people anyway. I went with the 6 Pro because I want the best Google has to offer and the 6 isn't it. I'm a previous 2 XL and 4 XL owner.
    And that's just it. I always go for the bigger model, but times are a little tough right now, which is the only reason I'm even debating one or the other
    If you have to question if the extra $300 is worth it for the 6 Pro, just go for the 6. The 6 is the Pixel for most people anyway. I went with the 6 Pro because I want the best Google has to offer and the 6 isn't it. I'm a previous 2 XL and 4 XL owner.