• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question P6P reviews

Search This thread

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
I'm also seeing that you can't actually take a 50mp photo with the camera? WTF is that? Why even have a 50mp sensor then? On mine I have to enable the 48mp mode but at least it's there. Anyone see this as well?

Reactions: zymphad

droidguy22

Oct 4, 2013
Screen shots from "Techchap" P6P review:

normal max brightness - 670-680, Peak about 1000

Attachments

• P6P_Brightness_1.jpg
    P6P_Brightness_1.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 45
  • P6P_Brightness_2.jpg
    P6P_Brightness_2.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 45

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Is that good enough for daylight usage outside
In my opinion and experience, that should be fine. On my Pixel 4 XL, High Brightness Mode goes to 610 nits and I find that's fairly sufficient unless the sun is shining directly on the phone. I use a kernel that boosts it even more though.

And remember, at least on the Pixel 4 XL, High Brightness mode doesn't kick in until you are actually in bright sunlight (or shining a bright light at it)(It was also hidden on this phone and you needed a kernel to enable it so most people are using this phone at it's brightest without High Brightness mode: 444 nits). As someone else mentioned, just moving the brightness slider to 100% does not kick in High Brightness mode. I would assume the Pixel 6/Pro would carry this on but haven't really seen anything on it so can't be certain.

Not sure how Techchap tested it, but thought that would be worth mentioning when seeing others review brightness.

Last edited:

droidguy22

Oct 4, 2013
Is that good enough for daylight usage outside
Depends upon how sunny/bright outside is, also depends on how good the auto/adaptive brightness is.

For reference, data I gathered from other reviews:

Note 10 plus - 686 nits

Note 20 Ultra - 662 nits

Pixel 6 Pro - 670-680, Peak about 1000

S21 Ultra - 821 nits, peak 1500 nits

IPhone 13 Pro max - 837 nits, peak 1038 nits

So, it has good brightness, but not as good as S21 ultra or IPhone 13 pro max.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
With the reports of a slow fingerprint reader it's starting to make me miss the face unlock of the pixel 4. It won't be a deal breaker but I'll definitely miss just lifting the phone and boom it's unlocked at the home screen
Yeah, with my Note 10+, I really miss the Pixel 1's fingerprint reader on the back. Like you said, not a deal breaker, just sucks.

bouchigo

Jan 17, 2008
Stockton
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Pixel 6 Pro
@biggiestuff
A custom Rom will eventually have it. My Pixel 2XL has face unlock on a custom Rom right now.

Of course, It would be even better if Google would natively add it instead of having to install a custom Rom.

@roirraW "edor" ehT
You'll get used to the fingerprint on the display, I did on my OnePlus 8 Pro....the faceunlock helped too...hopefully Google will add that as mentioned earlier.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    gsmarena_209.jpg

Did you see that you can't actually take a 50mp picture? If that's true it's unacceptable. Unless the reviews I saw just missed it.

Off topic but I also saw on Twitter that a 2018 iPhone beat the tensor chip in Geekbench and it wasn't close. Also see in some videos that gaming performance wasn't great, you can't change 1440p to 1080p for the screen for what reason?!?! I have a really bad feeling this is really close to being hoodwinked by Google.

Don't get me wrong, I have this on pre-order but there's too much to ignore at this point.
    The Pixel 6/Pro uses Pixel binning from the main 50 MP camera sensor. This is the same thing used by Samsung S21 Ultra with their main camera sensor.

Here's some information from one of the Android Authority article:

"To sum it up in one sentence, pixel-binning is a process that sees data from four pixels combined into one. So a camera sensor with tiny 0.9 micron pixels will produce results equivalent to 1.8 micron pixels when taking a pixel-binned shot.

As we said in our 48MP camera explainer, think of the camera sensor as a yard and the pixels/photosites as buckets collecting rain in the yard. You can either place loads of small buckets in the yard, or several big buckets instead. But pixel-binning is essentially the equivalent of combining all the small buckets into one gigantic bucket when needed.

The biggest downside of this technique is that your resolution is effectively divided by four when taking a pixel-binned shot. So that means a binned shot on a 48MP camera is actually 12MP, while a binned shot on a 16MP camera is only four megapixels."
    IMO, the best review you can have of any phone is by you actually using it and see if it has all the features that you mostly use in your day to day life. Reviewers are looking at everything. Remember no single phone will do everything best in all categories.
    For me, I was happy with Pixel 3 since I owned from the launch date. I know Pixel 6 Pro will be way better than Pixel 3. And this is the reason I purchased Pixel 6 Pro. Whereas, I could easily purchase iPhone 13 Pro/Max. 🙏 ✌️
    Short Circuit channel showing how dark the screen is at max brightness compared to the iphone 13 (which I have no interest in), also doesn't look good to me. The speakers also sound way worse it seems. The more I see of this the more this feels like the pro should have started at $700 and not $900. I ordered from best Buy and I can still cancel it, but I don't know what to do.
    I don't know, almost every review I've read or watched so far place the 6 Pro above the S21 Ultra AND the iphone 13 Pro.

We'll see for ourselves soon enough though.
    Short Circuit channel showing how dark the screen is at max brightness compared to the iphone 13 (which I have no interest in), also doesn't look good to me. The speakers also sound way worse it seems. The more I see of this the more this feels like the pro should have started at $700 and not $900. I ordered from best Buy and I can still cancel it, but I don't know what to do.
    Simple. Wait to get the phone, and then decide for yourself. :)
    shame Google missed the boat on macro mode not being as good as Samsung or Apple! I use macro more then portrait mode
    I think in Android Central video review, you can take macro using the telephoto lens on Pixel 6 Pro. And I liked what I see. Your mileage may vary ✌️🙏