• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question P6P reviews

Search This thread

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
Not a good review, doesn't go to details where needed, when he claims 4+ hours screen on time, he provided zero details about the usage (5G/4G, brightness level, Camera usage, GPS usage etc..).

Some other reviews got 8 hours screen on time and they were on 4G.
I was actually shocked by this from Marques. I was waiting for this one but he was really on the fence a lot of the time and that didn't help me reassess anything. He said "the video stabilization is great" when you have videos from mrwhosetheboss and supersaf showing how choppy it is at times, especially in low light. He said he used it for 3 weeks which is a pretty long time. I was expecting more actual analysis of his experience rather than an entire section on Android 12 features that all phones will get soon.

Regardless, he's the best, just this one was a miss.

droidguy22

Oct 4, 2013
Last edited:

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
The Verge gave 9 score:

For reference S21U - 8.5, 13Pro Max - 9

The reason I hate this kind of thing is because it says "great battery life", where literally every other review I watched and read the Pixel has the worst battery life of all flagships in the last say, 2 years. The iphone beats it by 50 miles. So I don't even know what to think anymore.

They also gave the 6 a 9 and the 6 pro an 8.

Reactions: zymphad

droidguy22

Oct 4, 2013
The reason I hate this kind of thing is because it says "great battery life", where literally every other review I watched and read the Pixel has the worst battery life of all flagships in the last say, 2 years. The iphone beats it by 50 miles. So I don't even know what to think anymore.

Battery life varies with individual user/usage pattern, best judge is yourself.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015

The Verge isn't the only tech site to point out/praise P6 battery life.

At this point, it's probably a mixture of questions like usecase (did they shoot a lot of videos? 4k60fps drains like crazy), clean phone (did a reviewer copy his old phone with a gazillion apps running in background over?), network availability (if your phone can barely make a connection, the constant searching will drain that battery), display brightness (a reviewer in the UK will naturally get more battery life out of the phone outside, simply because the display doesn't need to get as bright compared with someone in Florida). [...]

The problem can even be as small as a different case - if your case is big a** & sucks and your mobile antenna can't find a connection, it will drain more battery than your friend's phone with another, lighter case - as an extreme scenario. There are a lot of factors and most reviewers don't always replicate the best case.

What's also quite interesting is the question of network type. The old modem in our P6 is known to use more battery with 5G networks, ergo it's possible that the reviews with a "good battery life" result have only used it in 4G covered areas, whilst the other side "muh terrible muh no good" side might have been using it in a 5g area.

I have not yet seen a battery life test with fixed measurement criteria (fixed nits, same network availability, same apps running on the other phones...).What's also quite interesting

Until that happens, I'd take every review about battery life with a grain of salt.

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
The Verge isn't the only tech site to point out/praise P6 battery life.

At this point, it's probably a mixture of questions like usecase (did they shoot a lot of videos? 4k60fps drains like crazy), clean phone (did a reviewer copy his old phone with a gazillion apps running in background over?), network availability (if your phone can barely make a connection, the constant searching will drain that battery), display brightness (a reviewer in the UK will naturally get more battery life out of the phone outside, simply because the display doesn't need to get as bright compared with someone in Florida). [...]

I have not yet seen a battery life test with fixed measurement criteria (fixed nits, same network availability, same apps running on the other phones...).

Until that happens, I'd take every review about battery life with a grain of salt.
There are tons of those battery drain tests out already, I've watched 3. I think they try to make all the settings as close as possible, but they try to do it on auto everything since that's how people will use it. Pixel 6 vs Pixel 6 pro vs Iphone 13 pro max vs Galaxy s21 ultra it's dead last. It would be dead last against Oneplus phones as well.

There are never cases on in these tests. They are freshly setup phones and freshly restarted/fully charged, and I'm guessing these were all on wifi.

And again to clarify, I'm not sure that makes it "bad", it's just last in these tests against those phones.

Reactions: zymphad

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
There are tons of those battery drain tests out already, I've watched 3. I think they try to make all the settings as close as possible, but they try to do it on auto everything since that's how people will use it. Pixel 6 vs Pixel 6 pro vs Iphone 13 pro max vs Galaxy s21 ultra it's dead last. It would be dead last against Oneplus phones as well.

And again to clarify, I'm not sure that makes it "bad", it's just last in these tests against those phones.
Good to know. I just skipped through the first two Youtube results and according to this

-> "Google Pixel 6 Pro / Pixel 6 vs iPhone 13 Pro Max vs S21 Ultra - Battery Drain Test"

Pixel 6 pro: 8H:10M
Pixel 6: 8H:17M
Iphone 13 Max Pro: 10H:18M
Galaxy S21 Ultra: 8H:33M

---

And according to this

1635440050244.png

The Pixel 6 outlasts everything, the Pro fails to last longer than only the 13 Pro Max.

Even though in pure browsing, the P6 falls a bit short.

1635440170599.png

So in the end it's a question of usecase. You watch videos? The Pixel 6 is your king. You want to browse only? Get an Iphone or a Samsung. You want a good phone? Get either one of these.

I wouldn't call that dead last. It's up to par with the latest and greatest in the Android sector, even though Apple has an advantage with their more efficient chip.

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
Good to know. I just skipped through the first two Youtube results and according to this

-> "Google Pixel 6 Pro / Pixel 6 vs iPhone 13 Pro Max vs S21 Ultra - Battery Drain Test"

Pixel 6 pro: 8H:10M
Pixel 6: 8H:17M
Iphone 13 Max Pro: 10H:18M
Galaxy S21 Ultra: 8H:33M

I wouldn't call that dead last. It's up to par with the latest and greatest in the Android sector, even though Apple has an advantage with their more efficient chip.
If they compared Oneplus 8 pro and Oneplus 9 pro both getting over 10 hours, it would look worse IMO. Those are obviously the other dev friendly phones left. But yea, they are on par. TBH I don't know why everyone is comparing to the Ultra instead of the S21+. Seems like the ultra is like in another category. It's bothered me about all the reviews so far.

Edit: saw the rest of your post. Those are interesting for sure, but I don't think that kind of linear use is normal at all. Like browsing a webpage for 11 hours. Interesting nonetheless.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
If they compared Oneplus 8 pro and Oneplus 9 pro both getting over 10 hours, it would look worse IMO. Those are obviously the other dev friendly phones left. But yea, they are on par. TBH I don't know why everyone is comparing to the Ultra instead of the S21+. Seems like the ultra is like in another category. It's bothered me about all the reviews so far.
One thing that people should also mention when talking about battery life is

If a phone can last 4 hours longer on a charge (not SoT), but makes my life a mediocre joke by closing all the good stuff, that life sucks.

This "dontkillmyapp" stuff matters little with short-time battery killing tests, but it does count when you take into account everyday usage in aspan of days/weeks/month.

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
One thing that people should also mention when talking about battery life is

If a phone can 4 hours longer a day, but makes my life a mediocre joke by closing all the good stuff, that life sucks.

This "dontkillmyapp" stuff matters little with short-time battery killing tests, but it does count when you take into account everyday usage of the span of days/weeks/month.
Funny you say that because Oneplus was def accused of skewing in that direction, but with the 12GB of RAM, my phone is a monster and I can count up to 20 apps still ready to go at any time. Right now at work, not doing much on my phone today, there is 11.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Funny you say that because Oneplus was def accused of skewing in that direction, but with the 12GB of RAM, my phone is a monster and I can count up to 20 apps still ready to go at any time. Right now at work, not doing much on my phone today, there is 11.
It's not only about apps running in the background, ready to be used. It's more about the notification system and giving apps that don't even need to be used once (like a weather widget app) the chance/right to constantly call back home to get up to date data. I've seen many people over the years complain about broken app functionality and most of them were customers of certain manufacturers. Even though it's hard to differentiate, because apps tend to get broken in time, with updates, or other software quirks that are not even OS related.

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
It's not only about apps running in the background, ready to be used. It's more about the notification system and giving apps that don't even need to be used once (like a weather widget app) the chance/right to constantly call back home to get up to date data. I've seen many people over the years complain about broken app functionality and most of them were customers of certain manufacturers. Even though it's hard to differentiate, because apps tend to get broken in time, with updates, or other software quirks that are not even OS related.
That does happen when my phone is asleep for sure. I will get a wave of Gmails come in, mostly junk (of course). But you can turn all of that off in settings. I chose to let mine stay on, aside from the root apps that need access all the time.

Regardless though, in real world use I couldn't be more happy with battery life. It's one anxiety I don't need back.

This morning is a good example. 7 hours off the charger now, battery at 82%, 55 mins SoT, listening to podcast audio and music for about 6 out of 7 hours. I'll get to sleep tonight with like 50% batter left and 4 hours of SoT. I don't even have to think about it. And I've had this phone 18 months now. I NEVER use the fast charger though. I use a regular slow charger at night. I've used warp charge prob 10 times total.

That's my baseline.

Reactions: henihazbay

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
That does happen when my phone is asleep for sure. I will get a wave of Gmails come in, mostly junk (of course). But you can turn all of that off in settings. I chose to let mine stay on, aside from the root apps that need access all the time.

Regardless though, in real world use I couldn't be more happy with battery life. It's one anxiety I don't need back.

This morning is a good example. 7 hours off the charger now, battery at 82%, 55 mins SoT, listening to podcast audio and music for about 6 out of 7 hours. I'll get to sleep tonight with like 50% batter left and 4 hours of SoT. I don't even have to think about it. And I've had this phone 18 months now. I NEVER use the fast charger though. I use a regular slow charger at night. I've used warp charge prob 10 times total.

That's my baseline.
Well, to be honest here, Google phones were never great battery life kings, especially concerning battery drain when you lit up your display in a high ambient lighting scenario - or making videos.

Up until now, I always rooted my Pixels after some time, used LKT, naptime and servicely and specified which Apps need to function 24/7 and that way got a decent 1 1/2 days of use out of every one.

From the stock experience as of yet (had a P2 XL, P3 and P4 XL) the P6 Pro is probably about ~25-30% longer lasting than my P4 XL, so that's exactly what I was looking for. If you come from a phone manufacturer that is used to shut everything down in the background to squeeze the maximum amount of battery life out of it, you might get disappointment here.

Reactions: xgerryx

Shipoftheline

Oct 6, 2015
Salford
I've gone from the Oneplus 8 Pro to the 6 Pro and so far I'm not happy with the power button (end calls/screen off) being above the volume, I'm constantly turning the volume down because of its dumb position.

Also noticed the signal strength indoors at least isn't as good as the phone I came from

dj24

Jun 23, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra

I'm with you. Reviews are all over the place but my one go to site for battery life reviews is currently still testing both versions. Come on gsmarena.. pick up the pace!

Guyinlaca

Sep 13, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
After using the phone for 3 days, here are my impressions:

PROS:
+Great build quality
+Better battery life than the Note 20 Ultra
+Great sound quality and bass from speakers
+Camera is impressive compared to the Note 20 Ultra
+Software is fast and fluid
+Have had no issues with heat
+Rootless mods using Fabricated Overlay function
+Call screening and On Hold Assistant are great
+Many great Pixel Exclusive AI features

CONS:
-Signal strength fluctuates more than the Note 20 Ultra. When holding the phone still, it has a similar dB reading, but it's noticeable when moving around in the same home. Note 20 Ultra: -102 to -118 dB. Pixel 6 Pro: -104 to -119 dB. Speed tests show about a 10 Mbps slower speed on the P6P. Wifi range is slightly less as well. This isn't a dealbreaker but might be an issue for people in extreme fringe areas.
-Android 12 is missing a lot of options found on other phones (Especially AOD/Lockscreen customization) and there are occasional bugs.
-Samsung phones feel a bit more premium screen and buttons wise. Maybe I need a more solid case?
-To match the 50% screen brightness I use on Samsungs, the Pixel 6 Pro must be set at 75%. It's still sufficient, but definitely not as bright overall.

Overall, I will say this is definitely a huge leap forward for Pixels, but the $899 price is spot on given the sacrifices they made vs the S21 Ultra. It's a great phone, and ticks the only boxes popular reviewers care about (Camera, Battery Life, and Software Fluidity), but I can't help but feel the S22 Ultra will blow this thing out of the water on the specs and quality.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    gsmarena_209.jpg

Did you see that you can't actually take a 50mp picture? If that's true it's unacceptable. Unless the reviews I saw just missed it.

Off topic but I also saw on Twitter that a 2018 iPhone beat the tensor chip in Geekbench and it wasn't close. Also see in some videos that gaming performance wasn't great, you can't change 1440p to 1080p for the screen for what reason?!?! I have a really bad feeling this is really close to being hoodwinked by Google.

Don't get me wrong, I have this on pre-order but there's too much to ignore at this point.
    The Pixel 6/Pro uses Pixel binning from the main 50 MP camera sensor. This is the same thing used by Samsung S21 Ultra with their main camera sensor.

Here's some information from one of the Android Authority article:

"To sum it up in one sentence, pixel-binning is a process that sees data from four pixels combined into one. So a camera sensor with tiny 0.9 micron pixels will produce results equivalent to 1.8 micron pixels when taking a pixel-binned shot.

As we said in our 48MP camera explainer, think of the camera sensor as a yard and the pixels/photosites as buckets collecting rain in the yard. You can either place loads of small buckets in the yard, or several big buckets instead. But pixel-binning is essentially the equivalent of combining all the small buckets into one gigantic bucket when needed.

The biggest downside of this technique is that your resolution is effectively divided by four when taking a pixel-binned shot. So that means a binned shot on a 48MP camera is actually 12MP, while a binned shot on a 16MP camera is only four megapixels."
    IMO, the best review you can have of any phone is by you actually using it and see if it has all the features that you mostly use in your day to day life. Reviewers are looking at everything. Remember no single phone will do everything best in all categories.
    For me, I was happy with Pixel 3 since I owned from the launch date. I know Pixel 6 Pro will be way better than Pixel 3. And this is the reason I purchased Pixel 6 Pro. Whereas, I could easily purchase iPhone 13 Pro/Max. 🙏 ✌️
    Short Circuit channel showing how dark the screen is at max brightness compared to the iphone 13 (which I have no interest in), also doesn't look good to me. The speakers also sound way worse it seems. The more I see of this the more this feels like the pro should have started at $700 and not $900. I ordered from best Buy and I can still cancel it, but I don't know what to do.
    I don't know, almost every review I've read or watched so far place the 6 Pro above the S21 Ultra AND the iphone 13 Pro.

We'll see for ourselves soon enough though.
    Short Circuit channel showing how dark the screen is at max brightness compared to the iphone 13 (which I have no interest in), also doesn't look good to me. The speakers also sound way worse it seems. The more I see of this the more this feels like the pro should have started at $700 and not $900. I ordered from best Buy and I can still cancel it, but I don't know what to do.
    Simple. Wait to get the phone, and then decide for yourself. :)
    shame Google missed the boat on macro mode not being as good as Samsung or Apple! I use macro more then portrait mode
    I think in Android Central video review, you can take macro using the telephoto lens on Pixel 6 Pro. And I liked what I see. Your mileage may vary ✌️🙏