Question P6P Verizon 5GUW update today

Search This thread

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
On a different note, the c-band update from Verizon will ALSO be included in Verizon's 5G @ home. This is great, great news for people that have limited home internet options and gives you the chance to say F U to the wired home internet companies like Comcast and Comcast. Right now, if you have a 5G unlimited plan with Verizon, you can get their 5G @ home internet for $50/month with a 50% off if you are in the c-band area that activated today according to Verizon. The speeds seem to be worthy against the wired competitors.

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
I'm fairly sure that n77 C-Band was still not enabled in the January update.

The cacombos folks are looking for logging contributions to help confirm when it gets enabled.

Last edited:
Reactions: MArtyChubbs

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Central Illinois is going to be a while till they get c-band according to the PEA map... Unless you live in zone 24...
1642639275950.png

Last edited:

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
Who are the cacombos folks?
Our phones use the Shannon, Network Signal Guru, and Scat methods.
I am, but it seems Verizon has confirmed that no P6 or P6P has "Certification" to use the c-band so it looks like we have to wait for some form of update.... I am guessing a radio update.
Source on this?

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I used network signal guru to determine why my work had poor 4g signal with Verizon and it kept switching me to band 66 on a further tower over band 13 on a closer tower. It was pissing me off that I couldn't turn off band 66 on my pixel 2 xl because the bandwidth was horrible based on the distance to that tower. While the few times it was on band 13 the bandwidth was great. Long story short, I loved using that app. Just wish it was easier for turning on and off certain bands on our pixel phones.

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
One last point on this, Verizon has been notorious for being slow on enabling radio tech going all the way back to the Verizon galaxy nexus. This goes for their carrier phones and unlocked phones. I WILL FOREVER HATE them for this, but unfortunately, they have the best coverage in the US. I wish the unlocked pixel phones had a workaround with the radios and enabling their tech without Verizon being the middle man, but it is their network. I would love to switch to T-mobile, but their signal when travelling is very subpar.

shiftr182

Oct 5, 2010
Boise
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
One last point on this, Verizon has been notorious for being slow on enabling radio tech going all the way back to the Verizon galaxy nexus. This goes for their carrier phones and unlocked phones. I WILL FOREVER HATE them for this, but unfortunately, they have the best coverage in the US. I wish the unlocked pixel phones had a workaround with the radios and enabling their tech without Verizon being the middle man, but it is their network. I would love to switch to T-mobile, but their signal when travelling is very subpar.
I was with T-mobile for several years for the military discount. Their speed was fantastic...if you had coverage. We switched back to VZW last year when they started doing military discounts and their speeds are half of what I was getting with TMO, but they have coverage everywhere. I am glad to see the 5g upgrade, but it will be interesting to see how long it takes to see the results on my phone.

Az Biker

Sr. Mod / Mod & RC-RT Committees / Shred'r of MTBs
Staff member
What general area do you live? I live in the greater Phoenix area.
My son, who also lives in Phoenix and is an iPhone user, said they opened the 5GUW and his data speed jumped from 30/mbps to 145! Sadly, I live in a smaller community that doesn't yet have 5GUW.

Central Illinois is going to be a while till they get c-band according to the PEA map... Unless you live in zone 24...

Where did you get the map, and what do the number signify?

• Wow
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
My son, who also lives in Phoenix and is an iPhone user, said they opened the 5GUW and his data speed jumped from 30/mbps to 145! Sadly, I live in a smaller community that doesn't yet have 5GUW.

I've designed and qualified engineering equipment for 20 years now. The FAA and the FCC are huge barriers to qualifying RF equipment. So following the FAA and the FCC to learn what new tech is passing their review has been something that has interested me for my years as an engineer.

PEA stands for Partial Economic Area as part of the FCC. This map breakdown is how the FCC determines what bandwidth (frequencies) they auction off to telecommunication companies like Verizon for reporting to the federal government. Verizon stated with FCC approval that they are turning on c-band tech in PEA markets 1 through 46 based on the PEA map. This essentially means the 46 most productive economic markets will be turned on for c-band. This map has been around since 4G and I think it's the way the federal government understands frequency deployment around the US. Link to FCC PEAs (FCC PEA link). You have to scroll down to the middle of the page under the title PEA to find the link to the map on the page I hyperlinked. As verizon turns on more markets, they will tell the FCC which PEA areas they need for approval with the FCC based on the map.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I've designed and qualified engineering equipment for 20 years now. The FAA and the FCC are huge barriers to qualifying RF equipment. So following the FAA and the FCC to learn what new tech is passing their review has been something that has interested me for my years as an engineer.

PEA stands for Partial Economic Area as part of the FCC. This map breakdown is how the FCC determines what bandwidth (frequencies) they auction off to telecommunication companies like Verizon for reporting to the federal government. Verizon stated with FCC approval that they are turning on c-band tech in PEA markets 1 through 46 based on the PEA map. This essentially means the 46 most productive economic markets will be turned on for c-band. This map has been around since 4G and I think it's the way the federal government understands frequency deployment around the US. Link to FCC PEAs (FCC PEA link). You have to scroll down to the middle of the page under the title PEA to find the link to the map on the page I hyperlinked. As verizon turns on more markets, they will tell the FCC which PEA areas they need for approval with the FCC based on the map.
    I'm a bit confused with some of the posts here. It seems like some people are equating the 5G c-band with 5G UW. My understanding is that the new roll out from Verizon is the c-band, correct? Has Verizon indicated when the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro will be able to work with c-band? Does anyone know if this is something that Verizon has to do or is it an update from Google? Thanks!
    I can understand your confusion because Verizon marketing is bad. Verizon 5G c-band is categorized as band N77 and operates at 3.7 GHz. So it's a sub 6 GHz 5G technology. This is what Verizon rolled out yesterday and said you can use it if you have the correct phone with band N77 and your symbol changes to 5GUW.

Verizon mmWave is categorized as band N201 and N202. This 5G operates at 27 to 39 GHz. Verizon said you need a 5g phone with band N201 and N202 and it will show a symbol of 5GUW.

So both technologies mmWave and c-band will show a symbol of 5GUW to signify you are using their sub 6 GHz and their mmWave tech.

The best way to know if you are on c-band or mmWave with a pixel phone is when it's "certified" by Verizon (currently no pixel phones are certified but eventually the Pixel 6 and pro, 5, and 5a, will be because they all have N77, N201, and N202). The way to check this is to download the app network info lite from the play store to see what band you are currently on or go into phone information using your dialer and enter *#*#4636#*#* (I do this on pixel phones, but may be diffferent for other phones) .

Per the Verge article these phones have band N77 for c-band usage:
    • Apple iPhone 13, iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max
    • Apple iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation), iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation), or iPad mini (6th generation)
    • Google Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro (coming soon)
    • Samsung Galaxy S21, S21 Plus, S21 Ultra, Z Fold 3, Z Flip 3
    Also when looking at google's support page for the Pixel 5 and 5a qualcomm snapdragon 765G modem, they also have band N77 for c-band and band N201, N202 for 5g mmWave. So they eventually could be "certified" by Verizon for use on their c-band and mmWave. I also personally verified on the P5 using mmWave 5GUW band N201 and N202.
    I confirmed driving around Phoenix that the pixel 6 pro needs an update because my wife got 5G UW band 77 on her iPhone 13 while I was on band 66 5G Nationwide
    Our phones use the Shannon, Network Signal Guru, and Scat methods.

Source on this?
    It's the verge, so take it for what it's worth, but at the end of the article they verified directly with verizon that the P6 Pro is not "Certified" yet to work with c-band 77 Verge Link
    You also have to be on one of their newer unlimited data plans.
    I am, but it seems Verizon has confirmed that no P6 or P6P has "Certification" to use the c-band so it looks like we have to wait for some form of update.... I am guessing a radio update.