P9 Lite [VNS-l31] [HARD BRICKED] [CORRUPT PARTITIONS] EDL UNBRICKING

Search This thread

gh0stza

May 30, 2021
ZA
Hi,

Hoping to get some help from the Huawei Dev community here on XDA.

POPPING MY CHERRY - 1st HARD-BRICKED DEVICE :eek::eek::eek:
Doesn't feel very good!!!!

So I was trying to upgrade my old VNS-L31 from Android 6 to 7 or install a custom ROM due to some apps no longer having support for Android 6.

Dload method failed.
Was on C16 somehow (supposed to be on C185). Tried to flash new OEM_info which is where the problems started. Initially my DATA partition got corrupted, not sure exactly where it happend but I suspect it happend while I was trying to fastboot flash the newer Android 7 stock system cust etc images.

No TWRP posted here on XDA worked - tried 9 of em NON WORKED
So I was stuck at 3.0.2-0 that worked from SRKToolkit way back when I first rooted it.

After the data partition get corrupted it all went down hill. Nothing worked to fix the partition.

No Dload method worked (finding stock roms for this thing proved a massive challenge so I was stuck with trying what I could find)
After flashing new C432 oem_info and custom.bin I I got bootloop and tried the following stock roms with dload
- C4432B172
- C432B413
- C432B130
- C432B172

Non worked, complaining about incompatible versions.
Stock recovery also couldn't fix the data partition
eRecovery couldn't find a ROM ( I think cuz huawei doesn't have the ROMs on their servers anymore (neither C185, C16 or C432 got a ROM on eRecovery).

With no other options remaining I was forced to try and fix the data partition manually ( this is where the device got hard bricked ).

So I used parted and deleted the userdata partition -> re-created it and added it to the /etc/fstab.
Using this post as a reference: [DEV][ Expand System Partition To 4GB - P9 Lite ]
Note: parted said the primary GPT partition table was corrupt. It said the backup GPT partition table would be used.

As soon as I rebooted from TWRP I got black screen everywhere and the only mode the phone would go into was fastboot.

Tried everything there to get the device back but with a corrupt partition table I knew I was farting into the wind.

After that failed I knew this device was basically dead and the ONLY, ONLY way to unbrick it would be to try EDL test points.
Ok so I got the phone open and got into EDL Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 mode (OLD mode it seems -> No storage device detected).

PotatoNV detects the device now as a EVA-L19C432B166 (I have no idea how that happend, I have no ROMs that has that BUILD).

I have QPST and QFIL but lack the programmer file and basic knowledge of how this type of flashing works.
So this is where I'm at - I think I might as well throw this thing in the trash bin but since I got the opportunity now to work with QFIL and try everything to unbrick this thing and gain some knowledge about how EDL mode works I'm thinking I might as well play around with it.

Any advise/Help with this would be GREATLY appreciated.

PS: interestingly PotatoNV generated a NEW unlock code for me now - cant believe I payed DC-unlocker to get me an unlock code for this phone.
So PotatoNV generated a new code not the old I had - and it worked to unlock the bootloader

@-Alf-
:eek::eek:

Last edited:

-Alf-

Sep 28, 2017
Huawei P9 Lite
Huawei P10 Lite
Hi,

Hoping to get some help from the Huawei Dev community here on XDA.

POPPING MY CHERRY - 1st HARD-BRICKED DEVICE :eek::eek::eek:
Doesn't feel very good!!!!

So I was trying to upgrade my old VNS-L31 from Android 6 to 7 or install a custom ROM due to some apps no longer having support for Android 6.

Dload method failed.
Was on C16 somehow (supposed to be on C185). Tried to flash new OEM_info which is where the problems started. Initially my DATA partition got corrupted, not sure exactly where it happend but I suspect it happend while I was trying to fastboot flash the newer Android 7 stock system cust etc images.

No TWRP posted here on XDA worked - tried 9 of em NON WORKED
So I was stuck at 3.0.2-0 that worked from SRKToolkit way back when I first rooted it.

After the data partition get corrupted it all went down hill. Nothing worked to fix the partition.

No Dload method worked (finding stock roms for this thing proved a massive challenge so I was stuck with trying what I could find)
After flashing new C432 oem_info and custom.bin I I got bootloop and tried the following stock roms with dload
- C4432B172
- C432B413
- C432B130
- C432B172

Non worked, complaining about incompatible versions.
Stock recovery also couldn't fix the data partition
eRecovery couldn't find a ROM ( I think cuz huawei doesn't have the ROMs on their servers anymore (neither C185, C16 or C432 got a ROM on eRecovery).

With no other options remaining I was forced to try and fix the data partition manually ( this is where the device got hard bricked ).

So I used parted and deleted the userdata partition -> re-created it and added it to the /etc/fstab.
Using this post as a reference: [DEV][ Expand System Partition To 4GB - P9 Lite ]
Note: parted said the primary GPT partition table was corrupt. It said the backup GPT partition table would be used.

As soon as I rebooted from TWRP I got black screen everywhere and the only mode the phone would go into was fastboot.

Tried everything there to get the device back but with a corrupt partition table I knew I was farting into the wind.

After that failed I knew this device was basically dead and the ONLY, ONLY way to unbrick it would be to try EDL test points.
Ok so I got the phone open and got into EDL Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 mode (OLD mode it seems -> No storage device detected).

PotatoNV detects the device now as a EVA-L19C432B166 (I have no idea how that happend, I have no ROMs that has that BUILD).

I have QPST and QFIL but lack the programmer file and basic knowledge of how this type of flashing works.
So this is where I'm at - I think I might as well throw this thing in the trash bin but since I got the opportunity now to work with QFIL and try everything to unbrick this thing and gain some knowledge about how EDL mode works I'm thinking I might as well play around with it.

Any advise/Help with this would be GREATLY appreciated.

PS: interestingly PotatoNV generated a NEW unlock code for me now - cant believe I payed DC-unlocker to get me an unlock code for this phone.
So PotatoNV generated a new code not the old I had - and it worked to unlock the bootloader

@-Alf-
:eek::eek:
Hello,
in fastboot mode (if possible) run commands:
fastboot oem get-build-number
fastboot oem get-product-model
fastboot getvar vendorcountry
fastboot oem oeminforead-CUSTOM_VERSION
fastboot oem oeminforead-SYSTEM_VERSION
and post results.

gh0stza

May 30, 2021
ZA
Hello,
in fastboot mode (if possible) run commands:
fastboot oem get-build-number
fastboot oem get-product-model
fastboot getvar vendorcountry
fastboot oem oeminforead-CUSTOM_VERSION
fastboot oem oeminforead-SYSTEM_VERSION
and post results.
VNS-L31 -Alf-.jpg

Product model should be VNS-L31 - And it was before the partition got corrupted
EVA-L19 I think is the plain P9

Vendor country was C16 and then I flashed C432 (hw/eu) through TWRP

Ah **** ... just realized the OEMInfo I flashed was the L19 ( attaching it ) - the device worked after the flash though but it couldn't have helped with the dload version mismatch.

L19c432b182-oeminfo-custom.bin_flash.zip

-Alf-

Sep 28, 2017
Huawei P9 Lite
Huawei P10 Lite
View attachment 5723589

Ah **** ... just realized the OEMInfo I flashed was the L19 ( attaching it ) - the device worked after the flash though but it couldn't have helped with the dload version mismatch.

Try the following:
1. Download vns-l31c432b370
Link (2 .zip files - update.zip and update_data_full_VNS-L31_hw_eu.zip)
2. Download oeminfo l31c432
Link
3. Install TWRP 3.0.2.0, flash C432 oeminfo.zip file, DON'T REBOOT, go back in TWRP menu, flash update.zip , go back again and flash update_data_full_VNS-L31_hw_eu.zip.
4. In TWRP select Reboot recovery and do Factory reset.

I can't give you any better advice.

Reactions: Kennabiz

gh0stza

May 30, 2021
ZA
Try the following:
Link
3. Install TWRP 3.0.2.0, flash C432 oeminfo.zip file, DON'T REBOOT, go back in TWRP menu, flash update.zip , go back again and flash update_data_full_VNS-L31_hw_eu.zip.

And I really appreciate it but I only have black screen rememeber...

No recovery, no eRecovery, no TWRP no nothing. The PC detects a fastboot device and I can send fastboot commands but that's it, apart from the EDL mode.

So whatever fix, it has to happen either in fastboot or EDL.

I need a programmer firehose file and some advise on how to use QFIL properly, or a solution in fastboot ( which I think is unlikely )

Thanks @-Alf=

gh0stza

May 30, 2021
ZA
But ur spot on with those files man.
Wish I spoke to you before I bricked the damn thing.

This is all on me ( and a little bit on Huawei for making an easy-brickable-device )

I knew messing around with the partition table would be dangerous, but I had no other options left after the primary GPT partition table got corrupt. Or atleast I thought I had no other choice, in retro-spect I would have tried a thousand other things before I modified the partition table directly.

Let this be a lesson for anyone else stumbling unto this thread...

It just feels like such a waste... There is nothing physically wrong with the device but almost zero chance of reviving it without the programmer files from huawei ( which I will prob never get )

😭😭😭😭

PS: Maybe I can use some other firehose file...
Take a look at this site I found: https://www.leakite.com/?s=Qualcomm+Programmer
Maybe one of these programmer files are similar enough to use???

Anyone got an idea?

Last edited:

gh0stza

May 30, 2021
ZA
Huawei devices seem to be fairly indestructible, as long as the Bootloader is open, imo. If you don't mix apples and oranges, of course :).
Well interestingly, almost every time I dload'ed some firmware (even though it failed) it relocked my bootloader.
If I didn't have a bootloader unlock key, I would have had troubles much earlier.

Note: This is why I am very sceptical about paying DC-Unlocker a bunch of money to unlock my bootloader without giving me a key (That's the only way according to them on the P20 Pro - I assume they use some exploit on android 7-9; 10+ they say is not possible).

Then again... after I opened it up and used test points (for the first time, mind you) I discovered this model's bootloader is soooooo damn easy to crack with PotatoNV. Even HARD-BRICKED PotatoNV still gave me an unlock key.

Plus the back cover basically just pops right off -> 8 screws and 2 connectors later and it's unlocked

Credit to: Andrey Smirnoff

This makes me wonder if the P20 Pro would be just as easy ( I have one of those too, that I haven't been able to unlock yet )

Last edited:

Phantom Thief

Apr 24, 2017
I've messed around with the system partition table the first time and also messed up. Then tried to repair it by flashing the stock firmware, thinking it would reconstruct/replace my bad changes to /system and it only made it lock the bootloader. Thankfully PotatoNV indeed came to the rescue. So after flashing some different firmwares/twrp eventually it booted to the stock rom and I was then able to expand the system partition and rock the LOS on the vns-l31.

So I indeed feel for you when you're going down this lane. Unfortunately, I don't have much to add but I'm genuinely curious how you can fix the phone out of this situation. If you ever find a solution that wasn't posted here I'd appreciate if you could then give us an update on how you solved it. This is the kind of stuff I'd love to learn.

gh0stza

May 30, 2021
ZA
I've messed around with the system partition table the first time and also messed up. Then tried to repair it by flashing the stock firmware, thinking it would reconstruct/replace my bad changes to /system and it only made it lock the bootloader. Thankfully PotatoNV indeed came to the rescue. So after flashing some different firmwares/twrp eventually it booted to the stock rom and I was then able to expand the system partition and rock the LOS on the vns-l31.

So I indeed feel for you when you're going down this lane. Unfortunately, I don't have much to add but I'm genuinely curious how you can fix the phone out of this situation. If you ever find a solution that wasn't posted here I'd appreciate if you could then give us an update on how you solved it. This is the kind of stuff I'd love to learn.
Hi Phantom,

Thnx for the suggestion, will try flashing a couple img's later and hope for the best.

Else I'm still convinced I can fix it through EDL.

Will give updates here if I can achieve anything.

If you get any info on flashing through EDL, do let me know please.

Kennabiz

Jun 15, 2014
Try the following:
Link

Thank you very much

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    View attachment 5723589

Try the following:
    Link