Packet Capture

Search This thread

iwanttoknow

Jun 21, 2016
Hi,

I have installed Packet Capture, an app developped by Grey Shirts. No need for a rooted device.
BTW, it's based on Android VPN to capture packets.

1) I don't know what thinking about it. And you ?

2) Do you know a similar open-source no-based root app ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
Hi,

I have installed Packet Capture, an app developped by Grey Shirts. No need for a rooted device.
BTW, it's based on Android VPN to capture packets.

1) I don't know what thinking about it. And you ?

2) Do you know a similar open-source no-based root app ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

This is a feature of NetGuard, which also uses the VPN API. It's open source (https://github.com/m66b/NetGuard) under the PCAP functionality. As a bonus, the dev is active on XDA - http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-netguard-root-firewall-t3233012

Reactions: iwanttoknow

DGL2033

May 2, 2016
Thanks.

But it's only for output packets, if I have understood, and only in the PRO version of NetGuard.
Hi,

What is your goal with the app you mentioned? Are you looking for just packet capture, or adblocking globally on your phone.? And I looked at Netguard and they do indeed have several paid features. Lots of people give very positive reports. Look for threads here at xda.

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
Thanks.

But it's only for output packets, if I have understood, and only in the PRO version of NetGuard.

It should work for packets both inbound and outbound. I'll test this shortly.

It is indeed a paid feature, but the application is still fully open source on Github.

iwanttoknow

Jun 21, 2016
Hi,

What is your goal with the app you mentioned? Are you looking for just packet capture, or adblocking globally on your phone.? And I looked at Netguard and they do indeed have several paid features. Lots of people give very positive reports. Look for threads here at xda.

Just for packet capture.

iwanttoknow

Jun 21, 2016
Cloudshark.com has a free account for a trail period of a year I think. For analysis of files uploaded. But I would be interested in how the packet capture app worked for you, and or, if you find another that works on Android only.
As I said in my OP, I don't know what thinking about Packet Capture. It's the main reason I sent this Post.

BTW, this app ask you to install a certificat, I think useful to decrypt SSL packets. Am I right ? If anyone could answer.

It captures network traffic by app, in hexadecimal or text format.

I'm sorry to have no much to share with you about my experience. I've just installed it to see globally its behaviour.

Other similar Android apps I've heard about : Wireshark, Shark for Root, but never installed them.

salmanfarisy

Jan 15, 2015
Pekalongan
It should work for packets both inbound and outbound. I'll test this shortly.

It is indeed a paid feature, but the application is still fully open source on Github.

But netguard doesn't tell you the host. Only shows IP and reverse DNS. Correct me if i'm wrong.
Greyshirt's Packet Capture does this. It informs you the host. I use this app to make personal hosts file.

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone