*[PATCH]**Adoptable storage enabler** MARSHMALLOW*

Search This thread

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
As you may all know Samsung disabled the Adoptable storage function. Even the well known S7 hack doesn't work on some Samsung devices.
Well now it's back...

Thanks to some legwork (no pun intended) by @longshanks197 we now have a workable solution.

I have created this patch to fix the issue by patching the boot image and replacing sm.jar in system.
This will enable the adoptable storage feature in Settings>Storage

This should work for pretty much any Samsung device running Marshmallow

I advise making a backup with TWRP before proceeding.

NOTE: Due to Samsung's modifications the combined storage capacity may show as incorrect, ignore this and pay attention to the separate internal and external capacity which is correct.

INSTALL:

Copy the zip below to your device then install with TWRP.

adoptable_storage_enabler_ashyx

For information how to enable adoptable storage see the guide below:

how-to-use-adoptable-storage-on-android-6-0-marshmallow

This may also be worth a read for more info:

guidelines_for_marshmallow_users_formatting/

DONATE ME HERE IF YOU WANT TO BUY ME A BEER OR HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

punmeister

Apr 25, 2016
Bucharest
I used the S7 hack and it works perfectly, only difference is that it shows that I have 32gb of storage rather tham 24gb (8gb+16gb sd). Thanks a lot, adoptable storage is defintely the saving grace for phones with low internal storage.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

xGarro

Aug 27, 2015
Whenever I try to format the SD card, I end up with a corrupted SD card. Using the Performance Boost Speed ROM with a SM-J500M, also using systemless su and xposed if that matters.

Source.cod

Nov 20, 2016
Question

As you may all know Samsung disabled the Adoptable storage function. Even the well known S7 hack doesn't work on some Samsung devices.
Well now it's back...

Thanks to some legwork (no pun intended) by @longshanks197 we now have a workable solution.

I have created this patch to fix the issue by patching the boot image and replacing sm.jar in system.

NOTE: Due to Samsung's modifications the combined storage capacity may show as incorrect, ignore this and pay attention to the separate internal and external capacity which is correct.

INSTALL:

DONATE ME HERE IF YOU WANT TO BUY ME A BEER OR HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

How about my samsung J500G MM 6.0.1 ? Can i enabler my adoptable storage ?

kunj.2809

Nov 17, 2016
I have rooted J500F model and tried your method. Was installed successfully but didnt worked. No such option is showed in storage.

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
I have rooted J500F model and tried your method. Was installed successfully but didnt worked. No such option is showed in storage.
It has worked just fine for many others.
Format your card as portable storage. Reboot and look out for the sdcard notification.
If you don't see that go to storage settings.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well now it's back...

INSTALL:

I tried it as well with Marshmallow for Nordic countries. rooted device. When I click format no option for internal use of SD is showing up, just as before.

Format the card as portable storage first. Reboot then try again.
    You would need root to do it with adb, which means that you have to install TWRP too.
    Root is not needed as ashyx mentioned.

@ashyx :

Just a suggestion: I think you should mention in OP the requirements to install this mod, so people won't ask again same questions.
    The thing is I always assume people would at least do some research before blindly flashing or installing things.
    This is XDA after all and there are no spoon feeders here.

No matter how clear you make it someone will still always completely bypass the thread and ask obvious questions.
    Thank you. That's work. Finally I did it on my J500FN but I had to read a lot of posts before.
    Please make sure to:
    - enable "OEM unlock" and "USB debugger"
    - disable Autoreboot in Odin when flashing the recovery.
    Ashyx, why not to add these in the instruction page 1 ?
    First of all usb debugging is not required and this is not a TWRP thread, so please stay on topic.