[PATCH]**Adoptable storage enabler** MARSHMALLOW

ashyx

Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
So, a better solution. Because the option to adoptable store don't appear in store settings. :(
Format sd card as portable storage first. Reboot, look out for notification in status bar. If still doesn't appear, reinsert sd card.

Reactions: Boriar

mprocte1

Jun 27, 2009
For those who have followed the adb instructions, and found that items continue to get installed on the Internal Storage, I found that the adb 'sm partition ...' instructions alone isn't enough. Once you've rebooted the device, you need to go into Settings -> Storage, select the SD card, then from the 'MORE' menu in the top right, select 'Migrate Data'. Once this is completed, my Internal Storage usage had gone down, and my SD card usage had gone up. From then on, when I installed apps or downloaded content within them, only the SD card usage increased.

I guess the patch, installed via TWRP, triggers the notification on boot to migrate to the SD card, whereas the adb 'sm partition ....' method doesn't result in this and has to be manually forced through the settings menu as mentioned above. Anyway, caught me out for a while, and thought it might be useful info for others.

BTW ... my device is a SM-T580.

volcolm

Jan 20, 2013
Edit 1: Removed because questioner isn't willing.

Edit 2: Addendum:

I'm going to try this on a Tab S3 once I can find the appropriate card for it.

Edit 3:

What SD card do you have. I have:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00TB8XZOK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which is supposed to be a fast card, but it was super slow.
That card has a fast read, but slow write.

You might want to see some data of fast cards. UHS-1 U3 would be a faster card than a UHS-1 U1, however, it also helps to have data since not all cards have the same controller (so even a U3 card can potentially be slow). Here are some benchmarks for some fast cards. Ideally for adoptable storage, you'd want a card with equally fast read and write. Cards are typically marketed by fastest sequential read, few can actually give what they advertise (and fewer can have it both ways).

Don't go by reviews. Go by reviews that show actual data.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. JAVI

afiqsabri

Mar 8, 2009
Edit 1: Removed because questioner isn't willing.

Edit 2: Addendum:

I'm going to try this on a Tab S3 once I can find the appropriate card for it.

Edit 3:

That card has a fast read, but slow write.

You might want to see some data of fast cards. UHS-1 U3 would be a faster card than a UHS-1 U1, however, it also helps to have data since not all cards have the same controller (so even a U3 card can potentially be slow). Here are some benchmarks for some fast cards. Ideally for adoptable storage, you'd want a card with equally fast read and write. Cards are typically marketed by fastest sequential read, few can actually give what they advertise (and fewer can have it both ways).

Don't go by reviews. Go by reviews that show actual data.
thats exactly point, to enable the sd card as internal on tab s3, i tried couple of way, with ADB and what not, but didnt success, tell me you'd succeed

volcolm

Jan 20, 2013
thats exactly point, to enable the sd card as internal on tab s3, i tried couple of way, with ADB and what not, but didnt success, tell me you'd succeed
Have you tried the workarounds listed on this thread?
I don't have an S3 just yet so can't tell you, though I'll try this patch also when I do. Cheers!