[PATCH]**Adoptable storage enabler** MARSHMALLOW

Search This thread

HugoXnaider

Aug 8, 2013
for this method you don't have a notification just go in memory setting and migrate data

Just to confirm. The entire software will recognize the SD card as the anothers devices who support this feature natively? No risks for the tablet?

Thanks!

(sorry to ask these questions. I hard bricked a Moto G2, 2 years ago :crying: )

crimescene

Dec 17, 2010
Just to confirm. The entire software will recognize the SD card as the anothers devices who support this feature natively? No risks for the tablet?

Thanks!

(sorry to ask these questions. I hard bricked a Moto G2, 2 years ago :crying: )

Yes absolutly no risk at all, no one system file it's modified, just re-configure only the external sdcard.

Remember you have to save sdcard data first, because the data inside will be destroyed, so save your foto, document ecc.

Last edited:

Coldstream

May 23, 2010
Enschede
Problem now is, that i cant copy any large files to my device. In file explorer, it only shows one partition of 10,5gb

is there a workaround for this?

edit: in the end, this is a good try but far from usable. It messes up more then it does any good sadly. Installers get stuck, data get lost, copying things is a pain in the ass.

I'm gonna revert once again back to stock and well, guess just deal with it hoping samsung patches in any better solution. If anyone else has more luck then me, then i'm happy for you but for the T580 i would stay away from this for the time beeing.

Still, thanks to the OP and everyone for putting the effort in :)

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2016
As you may all know Samsung disabled the Adoptable storage function. Even the well known S7 hack doesn't work on some Samsung devices.
Well now it's back...

Thanks to some legwork (no pun intended) by @longshanks197 we now have a workable solution.

I have created this patch to fix the issue by patching the boot image and replacing sm.jar in system.
This will enable the adoptable storage feature in Settings>Storage

This should work for pretty much any Samsung device running Marshmallow

I advise making a backup with TWRP before proceeding.

NOTE: Due to Samsung's modifications the combined storage capacity may show as incorrect, ignore this and pay attention to the separate internal and external capacity which is correct.

INSTALL:

Copy the zip below to your device then install with TWRP.

adoptable_storage_enabler_ashyx

For information how to enable adoptable storage see the guide below:

how-to-use-adoptable-storage-on-android-6-0-marshmallow

This may also be worth a read for more info:

guidelines_for_marshmallow_users_formatting/

DONATE ME HERE IF YOU WANT TO BUY ME A BEER OR HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

Can someone advise me of the advantage of using external memory as internal? I move most of my apps to my 33gb SD card and they work fine so for me I don't think I would use this but for others I can see there would be an advantage somehow

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

crimescene

Dec 17, 2010
The advantage is that you have more space for application and you can install more.
In storage mode some application can't be moved, and others can be moved only partially.
In adjustable storage you can move all data in sd card, so you have more space

Crimescene

crimescene

Dec 17, 2010
Problem now is, that i cant copy any large files to my device. In file explorer, it only shows one partition of 10,5gb

is there a workaround for this?

edit: in the end, this is a good try but far from usable. It messes up more then it does any good sadly. Installers get stuck, data get lost, copying things is a pain in the ass.

I'm gonna revert once again back to stock and well, guess just deal with it hoping samsung patches in any better solution. If anyone else has more luck then me, then i'm happy for you but for the T580 i would stay away from this for the time beeing.

Still, thanks to the OP and everyone for putting the effort in :)
It'really strange, i've t585 and just use sdcard for week and have no problem at all.

Crimescene

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
oh ok, but with that you don't have to flash anything
I'm surprised you say that as pretty much all Samsung devices except the S7 needs the plugin.

If it's true what you say then root essentials isn't needed at all as the adb commands posted above will do the same thing.

ashwini215

Nov 17, 2014
Mumbai
My adoptable storage shows 3.89 GB data in the 'other' folder. I've wiped cache and dalvik but still that space is occupied.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170124-175718.png
    Screenshot_20170124-175718.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 296
  • Screenshot_20170124-175709.png
    Screenshot_20170124-175709.png
    55.4 KB · Views: 295

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
My adoptable storage shows 3.89 GB data in the 'other' folder. I've wiped cache and dalvik but still that space is occupied.
Personal files, app data etc?
Also I notice your combined storage capacity actually shows 75gb, first time I've seen it correct on a Samsung device.

Download sdmaid and search for unneeded files.

ashwini215

Nov 17, 2014
Mumbai
Personal files, app data etc?
Also I notice your combined storage capacity actually shows 75gb, first time I've seen it correct on a Samsung device.

Download sdmaid and search for unneeded files.

Yes, the combined storage capacity is correct :)
I am using Samsung A7 2016 with a custom rom.
Guess that's why the correct capacity.

Now, regarding the problem, i tried searching unneeded files with sd maid but could not find anything.
The storage analyzer section of sdmaid shows 3 partition & the description is:-
1) Public storage(Primary)
/storage/emulated/0
6.4 GB used / 59 GB capacity

2)Private storage(Primary) - This is the Internal storage, I'm sure.
/data
1.8 GB used / 11 GB capacity

3)Private storage (Secondary)
/mnt/expand/5bb53e....something like that
6.4 GB used / 59 GB capacity.

Now the Public storage (primary) has 2 folders "0" & "obb", combined capacity of which is 254 MB.
The Private storage (secondary) has 4-5 folder but combined capacity is around 2.5 GB only.

I still couldn't find the 3.47 GB that is occupying the "other" folder of adoptable storage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170125-082735.png
    Screenshot_20170125-082735.png
    145.9 KB · Views: 226
  • Screenshot_20170125-092721.png
    Screenshot_20170125-092721.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 219
  • Screenshot_20170125-093332.png
    Screenshot_20170125-093332.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 215

jcldl

Aug 10, 2008
I used adoptable storage with adb shell. It worked fine, after that I have an internal memory from 16 Go to around 16+48=64 go and 16 on external sd (partition 66%) . But when I tried to add apps over 16 go I have the message: You have not enough memory remaining to install this app. So even if I have 64 go indicated as internal memory I can't go over the real 16 go. Did you have this problem?
I have a samsung tab a6 (2016) sm-t580.

asusgarb

Jul 4, 2010
Sorry for OT, but this is first time I found this time of patch. I googled al lot, but never found. Maybe you can help me. Does a version of this patch for Lollipop 5.1.1 exists? I'm looking for it without luck.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As you may all know Samsung disabled the Adoptable storage function. Even the well known S7 hack doesn't work on some Samsung devices.
    Well now it's back...

Thanks to some legwork (no pun intended) by @longshanks197 we now have a workable solution.

I have created this patch to fix the issue by patching the boot image and replacing sm.jar in system.
    This will enable the adoptable storage feature in Settings>Storage

This should work for pretty much any Samsung device running Marshmallow

I advise making a backup with TWRP before proceeding.

NOTE: Due to Samsung's modifications the combined storage capacity may show as incorrect, ignore this and pay attention to the separate internal and external capacity which is correct.

INSTALL:

Copy the zip below to your device then install with TWRP.

adoptable_storage_enabler_ashyx

For information how to enable adoptable storage see the guide below:

how-to-use-adoptable-storage-on-android-6-0-marshmallow

This may also be worth a read for more info:

guidelines_for_marshmallow_users_formatting/

DONATE ME HERE IF YOU WANT TO BUY ME A BEER OR HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

Sorry to post this whole thread again, but an easier way for beginners is to use the Root Essentials tool in the Google Play Store.
    The link for the Root Essentials application.

I have personally used this on my own Samsung Device which runs on Marshmallow so far.
    It doesn't work or didn't work(until I released this patch) on all Samsung devices. It also requires a rooted device.
    Also how do you propose as easier, what is easier than flashing a zip in recovery?

Also please stop spamming my threads.
    It works!!!

Thanks!!!
    Sorry if I have spammed your threads by reposting what you have already said or stuff you have released, but I have tried the Root Essentials method on about ten Samsung Devices. It does require a rooted device which is actually true. But flashing a device will require a custom recovery because Samsung Stock Recoveries cannot actually process these flash files by itself. So, one way or another, you will have a custom firmware running even though you just want to have adoptable storage.
    Here's the flow:

Root essentials - Twrp>root>install root essentials>run app

Adoptable patch - TWRP> install patch

Also as I already stated, even if it does work now(after releasing this patch), root essentials only originally worked for Samsung S7 devices and not for most other Samsung devices.
    100% stock. No patches or apps
    So you're saying Samsung are now including adoptable storage as standard?
    I have not seen this news posted anywhere. [emoji55]

What is the build number of this firmware?