[PATCH]**Adoptable storage enabler** MARSHMALLOW

Search This thread

mprocte1

Jun 27, 2009
For those who have followed the adb instructions, and found that items continue to get installed on the Internal Storage, I found that the adb 'sm partition ...' instructions alone isn't enough. Once you've rebooted the device, you need to go into Settings -> Storage, select the SD card, then from the 'MORE' menu in the top right, select 'Migrate Data'. Once this is completed, my Internal Storage usage had gone down, and my SD card usage had gone up. From then on, when I installed apps or downloaded content within them, only the SD card usage increased.

I guess the patch, installed via TWRP, triggers the notification on boot to migrate to the SD card, whereas the adb 'sm partition ....' method doesn't result in this and has to be manually forced through the settings menu as mentioned above. Anyway, caught me out for a while, and thought it might be useful info for others.

BTW ... my device is a SM-T580.

jcldl

Aug 10, 2008
Thank you that's great, now I can use adoptable storage. I had to use "migrate data" to make adoptable storage working.

volcolm

Jan 20, 2013
Edit 1: Removed because questioner isn't willing.

Edit 2: Addendum:

I'm going to try this on a Tab S3 once I can find the appropriate card for it.

Edit 3:

What SD card do you have. I have:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00TB8XZOK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which is supposed to be a fast card, but it was super slow.
That card has a fast read, but slow write.

You might want to see some data of fast cards. UHS-1 U3 would be a faster card than a UHS-1 U1, however, it also helps to have data since not all cards have the same controller (so even a U3 card can potentially be slow). Here are some benchmarks for some fast cards. Ideally for adoptable storage, you'd want a card with equally fast read and write. Cards are typically marketed by fastest sequential read, few can actually give what they advertise (and fewer can have it both ways).

Don't go by reviews. Go by reviews that show actual data.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. JAVI

afiqsabri

Mar 8, 2009
Edit 1: Removed because questioner isn't willing.

Edit 2: Addendum:

I'm going to try this on a Tab S3 once I can find the appropriate card for it.

Edit 3:

That card has a fast read, but slow write.

You might want to see some data of fast cards. UHS-1 U3 would be a faster card than a UHS-1 U1, however, it also helps to have data since not all cards have the same controller (so even a U3 card can potentially be slow). Here are some benchmarks for some fast cards. Ideally for adoptable storage, you'd want a card with equally fast read and write. Cards are typically marketed by fastest sequential read, few can actually give what they advertise (and fewer can have it both ways).

Don't go by reviews. Go by reviews that show actual data.

thats exactly point, to enable the sd card as internal on tab s3, i tried couple of way, with ADB and what not, but didnt success, tell me you'd succeed

volcolm

Jan 20, 2013
thats exactly point, to enable the sd card as internal on tab s3, i tried couple of way, with ADB and what not, but didnt success, tell me you'd succeed

Have you tried the workarounds listed on this thread?
I don't have an S3 just yet so can't tell you, though I'll try this patch also when I do. Cheers!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As you may all know Samsung disabled the Adoptable storage function. Even the well known S7 hack doesn't work on some Samsung devices.
    Well now it's back...

Thanks to some legwork (no pun intended) by @longshanks197 we now have a workable solution.

I have created this patch to fix the issue by patching the boot image and replacing sm.jar in system.
    This will enable the adoptable storage feature in Settings>Storage

This should work for pretty much any Samsung device running Marshmallow

I advise making a backup with TWRP before proceeding.

NOTE: Due to Samsung's modifications the combined storage capacity may show as incorrect, ignore this and pay attention to the separate internal and external capacity which is correct.

INSTALL:

Copy the zip below to your device then install with TWRP.

adoptable_storage_enabler_ashyx

For information how to enable adoptable storage see the guide below:

how-to-use-adoptable-storage-on-android-6-0-marshmallow

This may also be worth a read for more info:

guidelines_for_marshmallow_users_formatting/

DONATE ME HERE IF YOU WANT TO BUY ME A BEER OR HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

Sorry to post this whole thread again, but an easier way for beginners is to use the Root Essentials tool in the Google Play Store.
    The link for the Root Essentials application.

I have personally used this on my own Samsung Device which runs on Marshmallow so far.
    It doesn't work or didn't work(until I released this patch) on all Samsung devices. It also requires a rooted device.
    Also how do you propose as easier, what is easier than flashing a zip in recovery?

Also please stop spamming my threads.
    It works!!!

Thanks!!!
    Sorry if I have spammed your threads by reposting what you have already said or stuff you have released, but I have tried the Root Essentials method on about ten Samsung Devices. It does require a rooted device which is actually true. But flashing a device will require a custom recovery because Samsung Stock Recoveries cannot actually process these flash files by itself. So, one way or another, you will have a custom firmware running even though you just want to have adoptable storage.
    Here's the flow:

Root essentials - Twrp>root>install root essentials>run app

Adoptable patch - TWRP> install patch

Also as I already stated, even if it does work now(after releasing this patch), root essentials only originally worked for Samsung S7 devices and not for most other Samsung devices.
    100% stock. No patches or apps
    So you're saying Samsung are now including adoptable storage as standard?
    I have not seen this news posted anywhere. [emoji55]

What is the build number of this firmware?