Patch DLL to be compatible with LGUP (US Unlocked Model)

The Elite

Aug 11, 2014
Attached is a copy of the LGUP_common.dll extracted from the US Unlocked LG V40 model. I was wondering if anybody had knowledge on patching it so it would work with LGUP. Currently when it is used, LGUP runs into DLL for V405QA11b is not installed properly. Please, install a DLL package(*.msi). for the model. I just want to run a fresh restore on my device. The DLL version should read 1,0,38,3 as it does in LG Flash Tool.

Attachments

Last edited:

ps3hacker3

Apr 15, 2013
If someone manages to patch the dll or modify it that it does work this might open up the possibility or closer to the possibility of rooting as well

The Elite

Aug 11, 2014
If someone manages to patch the dll or modify it that it does work this might open up the possibility or closer to the possibility of rooting as well
No this is a separate issue. LGUP simply does not work with the V40 DLL from what I have tested. Even the V30, all LGUP needed was the LGUPc.dll file extracted from the kdz renamed to LGUP_common.dll and placed in the model/common folder of LGUP for it to work, however for some reason with the V40 it seems to not be the case. It should be some HEX editing to the DLL (I would try to look into it and do it myself if I weren't so busy), to make it compatible with LGUP. Rooting is an entirely different matter. The US unlocked V40, at least has the ability to boot into fastboot, which leaves the possibility of LG opening the ability to unlock the bootloader. Once that is done, then all we need is a TWRP build, which honestly is the least of our problems. As for the other variants, it really depends on a vunerability being found that can be used. Currently I am downloading the other two firmwares that were posted, seeing if their DLL's have anything that may solve this, but the download speeds for those two KDZ's are painfully slow, and I don't think I will be able to do anything with them up to at least this weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: guytano86

xXCoolGuYXx

Apr 16, 2014
The unlocked B&O US one has the options to unlock but we have no code for it....
Is there a form for this so I can follow it? And thanks for the info I though I read on Google they found a way to unlock it

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Is there a form for this so I can follow it? And thanks for the info I though I read on Google they found a way to unlock it
Here

https://www.techdroidtips.com/unlock-bootloader-lg-v40-thinq/

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Here

http://developer.lge.com/resource/mobile/RetrieveBootloader.dev?categoryId=CTULRS0702

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

Feb 3, 2013
Los Osos

Here

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

http://developer.lge.com/resource/mobile/RetrieveBootloader.dev?categoryId=CTULRS0702
Here http://developer.lge.com/resource/mobile/RetrieveBootloader.dev?categoryId=CTULRS0703
If you notice no V40 model has the unlock code as of yet, that im aware of the US Unlocked B&O version is the only one with Access to the Bootloader/Fastboot area the other models that try to reach it just get a normal reboot...but they still need to release the unlock code for them to use.

You can also checkout my thread here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v40/help/root-t3878148/ Where everyone seems to be chiming in

Last edited:

xXCoolGuYXx

Apr 16, 2014
Here http://developer.lge.com/resource/mobile/RetrieveBootloader.dev?categoryId=CTULRS0703
If you notice no V40 model has the unlock code as of yet, that im aware of the US Unlocked B&O version is the only one with Access to the Bootloader/Fastboot area the other models that try to reach it just get a normal reboot...but they still need to release the unlock code for them to use.

You can also checkout my thread here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v40/help/root-t3878148/ Where everyone seems to be chiming in
Is the t mobile one the one that can go to bootloader?

awireless

Apr 9, 2018
Attached is a copy of the LGUP_common.dll extracted from the US Unlocked LG V40 model. I was wondering if anybody had knowledge on patching it so it would work with LGUP. Currently when it is used, LGUP runs into DLL for V405QA11b is not installed properly. Please, install a DLL package(*.msi). for the model. I just want to run a fresh restore on my device. The DLL version should read 1,0,38,3 as it does in LG Flash Tool.
I am pretty sure we use a hex editor and find all instances of partition dl and switch all the values to true i think only bcheck is false by default and add store in front of the dev thats just my theory its a lot of work to do but if someone wants to try you can. I might be wrong there is no info anywhere about patching dll's and also changing value to true changes size of dll i dont know if that matters or not.

The Elite

Aug 11, 2014
I am pretty sure we use a hex editor and find all instances of partition dl and switch all the values to true i think only bcheck is false by default and add store in front of the dev thats just my theory its a lot of work to do but if someone wants to try you can. I might be wrong there is no info anywhere about patching dll's and also changing value to true changes size of dll i dont know if that matters or not.
I see. I was going to see the differences in between the old DLL's that worked straight from extraction and this one which doesn't to see if I could "patch" it so it would using IDA pro, but I'm pretty busy and haven't looked into this stuff before so yeah also kind of reluctant on wasting time, like as you said there really isn't much info on this stuff. But because flash too, an older tool than LGUP, recognizes the dll and its versioning. So there must at least be some similarities or if its the worst case scenario it only shares some version variable.

awireless

Apr 9, 2018
I see. I was going to see the differences in between the old DLL's that worked straight from extraction and this one which doesn't to see if I could "patch" it so it would using IDA pro, but I'm pretty busy and haven't looked into this stuff before so yeah also kind of reluctant on wasting time, like as you said there really isn't much info on this stuff. But because flash too, an older tool than LGUP, recognizes the dll and its versioning. So there must at least be some similarities or if its the worst case scenario it only shares some version variable.
Do you have the same model dll and patched version of that dll? i couldn't get a hold of one the ones i have is all different so i couldn't compare

The Elite

Aug 11, 2014
Do you have the same model dll and patched version of that dll? i couldn't get a hold of one the ones i have is all different so i couldn't compare
I can probably end up finding one, as I have most the V30 KDZs for the H933, and I think there are patched DLL's lying around XDA, but the problem here with the V40 DLL is that it doesn't work straight from extraction of the kdz. The first step is to get it working and then the second step is getting it working with the dev options.

awireless

Apr 9, 2018
I was going through the dll in hex editor and i notice there was an error code saying something about lgup version lower then 1.16 so maybe the key is getting newer version of lgup. the problem is 1.15 isnt even accessible.

The Elite

Aug 11, 2014
I was going through the dll in hex editor and i notice there was an error code saying something about lgup version lower then 1.16 so maybe the key is getting newer version of lgup. the problem is 1.15 isnt even accessible.
Have you tried editing that check? I honestly was more or less waiting on an official bootloader unlock, but it doesn't seem like thats coming for the US Unlocked model...

zachariahpope

May 5, 2012
@theelite @awireless , I'm not sure if you have given up hope on this, but I have the information you need on how to do this. A good friend of mine from China sent me something he found on how to flash a pie KDZ to the LG G7, but the document was in chinese so I couldn't really understand it, but I noticed it detailed the process of how to unlock LGUP in the same way you wanted to enable cross-device flashing, etc. I've done my best to translate and consolidate the document for ease of use. If no one has the time to do this, I will get to it when I have time off from work.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Link To Document
Extract it from ZIP archive. (Had to be ZIP format for AndroidFileHost)

Last edited:
Reactions: awireless

awireless

Apr 9, 2018
@theelite @awireless , I'm not sure if you have given up hope on this, but I have the information you need on how to do this. A good friend of mine from China sent me something he found on how to flash a pie KDZ to the LG G7, but the document was in chinese so I couldn't really understand it, but I noticed it detailed the process of how to unlock LGUP in the same way you wanted to enable cross-device flashing, etc. I've done my best to translate and consolidate the document for ease of use. If no one has the time to do this, I will get to it when I have time off from work.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Link To Document
Extract it from ZIP archive. (Had to be ZIP format for AndroidFileHost)
That is very awesome nice to know that information but the issue is with the dll of the firmware this is how to patch lgup to let all the options appear we already have the options we need the dll to work.
I really wanted that info though that's really good to know.

Do you still have copy of the Chinese version?

Last edited: