[PATCHER][APP] Dual boot any ROM

Search This thread

TeamMex

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Michoacán de Ocampo - México
First I copy pasted his thread I send the patches required to make it compatible with Z play I post his thread here and download link linked to his thread
Original developer: chenxiaolong

I'm proud to present the first dual boot project for the Moto Z Play! This project started off as a feature in my ROM, but not anymore. This will allow any number of ROMs to be installed at the same time. It works by patching the secondary ROM's installation scripts and boot image to load the ROM files from an alternate location (/system/multiboot, /cache/multiboot, and /data/multiboot). Because of the way this is implemented, no changes to the primary ROM are necessary :D

It patches...
  • Custom kernels for dual boot support
  • ROMs so that they can be installed as secondary
  • Google Apps packages for AOSP-based ROMs
  • SuperSU so that it can be used in the secondary ROM

How to use the patcher

Android

Download the patcher apk and run it. Tap "Patch Zip File" from the navigation drawer and choose the file you want to patch.

Windows (GUI)

Double click DualBootPatcher.exe and choose the file you want to patch.

--------

After patching the zip file, a new file, like some_rom_dual.zip file will be created. For example, patching ktoonsez's

KT-SGS4-JB4.3-AOSP-TMO-08.28.2013.zip

would create a new

KT-SGS4-JB4.3-AOSP-TMO-08.28.2013_dual.zip

Instructions for dual booting

Before doing anything, download the Dual Boot Patcher app and the DualBootUtilities.zip from the download section below.

• The patcher offers several locations for installing ROMs:
  • Primary: This is normally used for installing a zip to the primary ROM. It is not required, but is strongly recommended because it has code to prevent the zip from inadvertently affecting other ROMs.
  • Dual: Dual/Secondary is the first multiboot installation location. It installs to the system partition. This is a good spot for installing a second ROM because it doesn't take any space away from the internal storage.
  • Multi-slots: There are 3 multislots: multi-slot-1, multi-slot-2, multi-slot-3. These install to the cache partition. This is specifically for devices, like the Galaxy S4, that have a massive cache partition.
  • Data-slots: There can be an unlimited number of data slots. These install to the data partition and eat up space on the internal storage. This is useful for devices where the system partition is nearly full and the cache partition is tiny. These slots are named "data-slot-[id]", where "id" is something you provide in the app.
  • Extsd-slots: There can be an unlimited number of extsd slots. These install to the external SD card, which is useful as it keeps the ROMs off of the internal storage. Note that the ROM's data files are still stored on the data partition.

With that said, let's get to the "how to"!
    First, boot into your primary ROM and install the Dual Boot Patcher app
    Open the app and go to "Roms" in the navigation drawer. It will ask if you want to set the kernel. Make sure that you do.
    Go to "Patch zip file" in the navigation drawer and patch the ROM or zip you want to install. You can select one of the installation locations described above.

There are two ways of flashing the patched zip file. You can either flash it normally from recovery or flash it using the in-app flashing feature. Both methods are explained below.

Flashing from recovery

To flash from recovery, just flash the patched zip file like you would for any other zip. Nice and simple.

In-app flashing

To use in-app flashing, go to "Roms" in the navigation drawer, tap the floating button on the bottom right, and add the zips you want to install. You can queue multiple zips and they will all be flashed in one go. Once you've added all the zips you want to flash, click the check mark in the action bar and they will be flashed right away.

• How do I...?

Switch the ROM if something doesn't work properly?
    You can flash the DualBootUtilities zip from recovery. It will provide a menu interface that allows switching to the various ROMs.

If you have TWRP, you can also switch manually by tapping Install -> Images (bottom right) -> Go to /sdcard/MultiBoot/[Your ROM]/ -> flash boot.img.
    Wipe /cache, /data, /system, or dalvik-cache?
    The easiest way is to do it from the app while booted in another ROM. Just go to "Roms" in the navigation drawer, tap the 3 dots options menu for the ROM you want to wipe, and tap "Wipe ROM".

Alternatively, flash the DualBootUtilities zip from recovery, which will also allow you to wipe a ROM.

NOTE: Don't use the recovery's built-in wiping abilities as that may delete non-primary ROMs!
    Update the primary ROM?
    Patch the zip for primary and flash it. The "primary" installation target is designed so that other ROMs won't be affected when you want to flash something for the primary ROM.
    Update a non-primary ROM?
    Patch and flash the zip exactly like how you did it the first time.
    Flash a mod or custom kernel for the primary ROM?
    Patch it for primary before flashing. If the zip does not wipe /cache, it is also safe to flash it directly.
    Flash a mod or custom kernel for a non-primary ROM?
    Just patch and flash it :)

H5h1q5IRrdkcUyQKITJIki80Ti_lTemOuvGnAZSlclLQF9jZKGNxtp_9lamfv-wgbOyQ2SVlpo_X6Jcuopq-1wyRv_DDf-UB=w1366-h768-rw-no

Downloads:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2447534

RunnersFoot

Jul 20, 2012
Toronto
i'm a bit confused, the link to the downloads is just to a old thread for a S4 from 2013. Are you saying that if you install the files from the S4 post that you can dual boot the Moto Z play?

TeamMex

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Michoacán de Ocampo - México
i'm a bit confused, the link to the downloads is just to a old thread for a S4 from 2013. Are you saying that if you install the files from the S4 post that you can dual boot the Moto Z play?

I link the original thread, I added moto z play support , you can see updated Download link on his post.
Yes initial work is for S4 but now it support lot of devices.
and Yes you can dual boot using the app :p

cyberkid369

Feb 15, 2009
Error while installing secondary rom

Hi all
I Have Lineage 14.1 as primary rom on moto z play. Installed dual boot patcher however getting attached error while installing secondary rom to secondary or multi slot partitions..need help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171223-165305.png
    Screenshot_20171223-165305.png
    181.1 KB · Views: 308

mahdif62

Feb 11, 2015
I set the kernel. It says "the ramdisk doesn't have any version of mbtool".
then clicked "update ramdisk" and rebooted. My phone only rebooted to twrp and refused to boot.
Fixed it by re-flashing Magisk.
Is mbtool necessary?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First I copy pasted his thread I send the patches required to make it compatible with Z play I post his thread here and download link linked to his thread
    Original developer: chenxiaolong

I'm proud to present the first dual boot project for the Moto Z Play! This project started off as a feature in my ROM, but not anymore. This will allow any number of ROMs to be installed at the same time. It works by patching the secondary ROM's installation scripts and boot image to load the ROM files from an alternate location (/system/multiboot, /cache/multiboot, and /data/multiboot). Because of the way this is implemented, no changes to the primary ROM are necessary :D

It patches...
    • Custom kernels for dual boot support
    • ROMs so that they can be installed as secondary
    • Google Apps packages for AOSP-based ROMs
    • SuperSU so that it can be used in the secondary ROM

How to use the patcher

Android

Download the patcher apk and run it. Tap "Patch Zip File" from the navigation drawer and choose the file you want to patch.

Windows (GUI)

Double click DualBootPatcher.exe and choose the file you want to patch.

--------

After patching the zip file, a new file, like some_rom_dual.zip file will be created. For example, patching ktoonsez's

KT-SGS4-JB4.3-AOSP-TMO-08.28.2013.zip

would create a new

KT-SGS4-JB4.3-AOSP-TMO-08.28.2013_dual.zip

Instructions for dual booting

Before doing anything, download the Dual Boot Patcher app and the DualBootUtilities.zip from the download section below.

• The patcher offers several locations for installing ROMs:
    • Primary: This is normally used for installing a zip to the primary ROM. It is not required, but is strongly recommended because it has code to prevent the zip from inadvertently affecting other ROMs.
    • Dual: Dual/Secondary is the first multiboot installation location. It installs to the system partition. This is a good spot for installing a second ROM because it doesn't take any space away from the internal storage.
    • Multi-slots: There are 3 multislots: multi-slot-1, multi-slot-2, multi-slot-3. These install to the cache partition. This is specifically for devices, like the Galaxy S4, that have a massive cache partition.
    • Data-slots: There can be an unlimited number of data slots. These install to the data partition and eat up space on the internal storage. This is useful for devices where the system partition is nearly full and the cache partition is tiny. These slots are named "data-slot-[id]", where "id" is something you provide in the app.
    • Extsd-slots: There can be an unlimited number of extsd slots. These install to the external SD card, which is useful as it keeps the ROMs off of the internal storage. Note that the ROM's data files are still stored on the data partition.

With that said, let's get to the "how to"!
      First, boot into your primary ROM and install the Dual Boot Patcher app
      Open the app and go to "Roms" in the navigation drawer. It will ask if you want to set the kernel. Make sure that you do.
      Go to "Patch zip file" in the navigation drawer and patch the ROM or zip you want to install. You can select one of the installation locations described above.

There are two ways of flashing the patched zip file. You can either flash it normally from recovery or flash it using the in-app flashing feature. Both methods are explained below.

Flashing from recovery

To flash from recovery, just flash the patched zip file like you would for any other zip. Nice and simple.

In-app flashing

To use in-app flashing, go to "Roms" in the navigation drawer, tap the floating button on the bottom right, and add the zips you want to install. You can queue multiple zips and they will all be flashed in one go. Once you've added all the zips you want to flash, click the check mark in the action bar and they will be flashed right away.

• How do I...?

Switch the ROM if something doesn't work properly?
      You can flash the DualBootUtilities zip from recovery. It will provide a menu interface that allows switching to the various ROMs.

If you have TWRP, you can also switch manually by tapping Install -> Images (bottom right) -> Go to /sdcard/MultiBoot/[Your ROM]/ -> flash boot.img.
      Wipe /cache, /data, /system, or dalvik-cache?
      The easiest way is to do it from the app while booted in another ROM. Just go to "Roms" in the navigation drawer, tap the 3 dots options menu for the ROM you want to wipe, and tap "Wipe ROM".

Alternatively, flash the DualBootUtilities zip from recovery, which will also allow you to wipe a ROM.

NOTE: Don't use the recovery's built-in wiping abilities as that may delete non-primary ROMs!
      Update the primary ROM?
      Patch the zip for primary and flash it. The "primary" installation target is designed so that other ROMs won't be affected when you want to flash something for the primary ROM.
      Update a non-primary ROM?
      Patch and flash the zip exactly like how you did it the first time.
      Flash a mod or custom kernel for the primary ROM?
      Patch it for primary before flashing. If the zip does not wipe /cache, it is also safe to flash it directly.
      Flash a mod or custom kernel for a non-primary ROM?
      Just patch and flash it :)

H5h1q5IRrdkcUyQKITJIki80Ti_lTemOuvGnAZSlclLQF9jZKGNxtp_9lamfv-wgbOyQ2SVlpo_X6Jcuopq-1wyRv_DDf-UB=w1366-h768-rw-no

Downloads:
      https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2447534
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone