[PC/MAC/LINUX] The official, full Andromeda thread for Substratum [Android 8.0.0+]

Search This thread

disturbd1

Mar 3, 2010
Will the need to be tethered via USB always be present? It's really annoying to have to rely on that to update/install overlays.

Also, since I only use Swift (Black) I can't speak to all overlays out there, but why in the name of [insert deity of choice] does the "Build and Update" function not work? Like, ever. No matter how meticulously I ensure to only check boxes for items previously themed...it goes through the motions, no errors...and voila! All theming is removed! I then have to uninstall (not disable) every single overaly - which for me is a few dozen, and time-consuming - then reinstall the lot of them from scratch. Since app developers tend to push updates as often as once every 1-2 days, this process becomes extremely cumbersome.

I don't want to come across ungrateful for the work that's been put into the Andromeda project or the Swift team. But I can't be alone in these experiences either, since my Note 8 is otherwise "stock".

Pkt_Lnt

Recognized Contributor
Dec 26, 2011
SLO
Will the need to be tethered via USB always be present? It's really annoying to have to rely on that to update/install overlays.

Also, since I only use Swift (Black) I can't speak to all overlays out there, but why in the name of [insert deity of choice] does the "Build and Update" function not work? Like, ever. No matter how meticulously I ensure to only check boxes for items previously themed...it goes through the motions, no errors...and voila! All theming is removed! I then have to uninstall (not disable) every single overaly - which for me is a few dozen, and time-consuming - then reinstall the lot of them from scratch. Since app developers tend to push updates as often as once every 1-2 days, this process becomes extremely cumbersome.

I don't want to come across ungrateful for the work that's been put into the Andromeda project or the Swift team. But I can't be alone in these experiences either, since my Note 8 is otherwise "stock".
No, only if you reboot, otherwise the beta keeps connection.
t.me/substratumci
t.me/ProjektAndromeda

Now, build and enable, reboot, go to Subs/Manager and enable overlays, reboot. (this solution has been posted above numerous times by others who have gone through your same experience and searched out the solution)

Also not that not all Subs themes support Samsung and there shenanigans to lock down users.

Venom0642

Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2012
Laramie, Wyoming
plus.google.com

Get Telegram then go here // substratum ci //
Official beta builds for every new commit. Uninstall PS version first!

Andromeda:
- Tap on the connection card 8 times, click "Bypass check"

Custom ROMs:
- Go into Settings, Developer Options, Force Authorize Theme Systems
https://t.me/substratumci
Uninstall the Substratum from Playstore install latest from telegram that channel Substratum updates a lot there so keep it as your channel after you uninstall Substratum and your overlayers you had install the latest from telegram then install your overlayers after reboot and now your overlayers will stick after every reboot, but still after every reboot you still once after to plug in USB to pc to open Substratum.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S9+ using XDA Labs

Last edited:

disturbd1

Mar 3, 2010
No, only if you reboot, otherwise the beta keeps connection.
t.me/substratumci
t.me/ProjektAndromeda

Now, build and enable, reboot, go to Subs/Manager and enable overlays, reboot. (this solution has been posted above numerous times by others who have gone through your same experience and searched out the solution)

Also not that not all Subs themes support Samsung and there shenanigans to lock down users.

Thank you for this. I will try to repeat verbatim, and hopefully have better luck. x2 on Samsung's increasingly proprietary user experience.

cleopete

Sep 29, 2010
Just be patient. It takes a bit of messing with to get everything working. Basically, you have to build and enable, restart, go to the manage tab in substratum and select the things you built before and choose 'change overlay states'. That should apply everything.

I've got Compound, Swift dark, Flux dark, and Pi dark, to all work with no weird UI color issues. It's just important to do the steps properly or you'll have some issues.

I used the Mac client, and everything seemed to work fine...up to activating overlays. I installed some themes, but after building and applying, I got nada. Nothing showed up in the theme manager either.

This morning, I repeated the process on a Win 7 PC and it's working great now. I was surprised the themes held after a reboot, I thought they required reapplication...bonus!

I could never get Substratum to work so well on my rooted Note 4.

Reactions: imucarmen

mehdi.scs9

Aug 14, 2015
hi

i have a Nokia 5 with stock android 8.1 (no root)

i install Substratum.
then install Andromeda.
open the Substratum.
connect USB in file transfer mood (usb Debug is on).
open desktop client folder and run"start_andromeda.bat"
after processing, bat file is close and Substratum app is restart.
but not work!
and application always say : The Andromeda Desktop Client needs to connect to your device to be able to function with Substratum.
(and check status not show anything)

i try java client but devise box is empty
please help me

card-us

Nov 1, 2010
Jogja
just got update on both Andromeda & Substratum Apps, but after that can't enter substratum apps, even on Adromeda already says connected (use desktop client also didn't open susbtratum apps on my phone (Mi A1, stock android 8.0.0, April security patch)\
please help, since with this i can' either set &/ reset my theme setting (pretty much stuck with current theme) if by any chance some of the apps got update..it'll ended up crash on those apps (usually)

thanks before & looking forward for fix

regards

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180419-081057.png
    Screenshot_20180419-081057.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 673
  • Screenshot_20180419-081101.png
    Screenshot_20180419-081101.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 667
  • Screenshot_20180419-081111.png
    Screenshot_20180419-081111.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 671
  • Screenshot_20180419-081139.jpg
    Screenshot_20180419-081139.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 665

nicholaschum

Substratum Development Leader / Inactive Recognize
Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
Andromeda v20 has been rolled out, and we have a key few things that need to be noted!

I would like to clarify that the sneak peek of Andromeda and root a few days ago was not designed to be a way to replace rooted substratum builds, or to convince that root + Andromeda is the way to go.

As a small number of users seem to be using Andromeda on a rooted device, it is simply just one rooted call that executes the same environment as if you plugged your device into the computer. Just like the current rooted Magisk plugins/scripts that require you to execute "su andromeda" by the community in XDA.

To those who used to run masquerade and substratum back in the day, the calling package usually suffered the most because it caused a heavy configuration change due to "assetSeq" code from CMTE. As we are now using direct shell calls, the configuration change is lighter than the previous implementation but still exists, thus, a more reliable way for us was to "offload" the configuration change from the main substratum app.

You do NOT need to (re)purchase Andromeda, and I would personally just stick with rooted mode on substratum for free if you are on Oreo, despite the configuration change explanation above, as Android O's Dynamic Overlays are faster than "assetSeq" and more reliable.

However if you're unrooted, the recommended method is to definitely give Andromeda a try!

One more thing, running the script no longer automatically runs substratum. As we have new plans of the app very soon and it shouldn't just be reserved for substratum!

card-us

Nov 1, 2010
Jogja
Andromeda v20 has been rolled out, and we have a key few things that need to be noted!

I would like to clarify that the sneak peek of Andromeda and root a few days ago was not designed to be a way to replace rooted substratum builds, or to convince that root + Andromeda is the way to go.

As a small number of users seem to be using Andromeda on a rooted device, it is simply just one rooted call that executes the same environment as if you plugged your device into the computer. Just like the current rooted Magisk plugins/scripts that require you to execute "su andromeda" by the community in XDA.

To those who used to run masquerade and substratum back in the day, the calling package usually suffered the most because it caused a heavy configuration change due to "assetSeq" code from CMTE. As we are now using direct shell calls, the configuration change is lighter than the previous implementation but still exists, thus, a more reliable way for us was to "offload" the configuration change from the main substratum app.

You do NOT need to (re)purchase Andromeda, and I would personally just stick with rooted mode on substratum for free if you are on Oreo, despite the configuration change explanation above, as Android O's Dynamic Overlays are faster than "assetSeq" and more reliable.

However if you're unrooted, the recommended method is to definitely give Andromeda a try!

One more thing, running the script no longer automatically runs substratum. As we have new plans of the app very soon and it shouldn't just be reserved for substratum!

Sorry for quoting, but on my phone (Mi A1 Non Rooted) still can't access Substratum (latest ver 983) eventhough my andromeda already say connected (activated via desktop client-Windows) but i still can't open substratum
please help..

also a question, what does the mean on "Allow debuggable substratum builds"??

Xpid3r

Feb 10, 2014
My Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is Not able to Get Access from Andromeda Pc Script After the latest Update

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Eduardo.medi

Dec 6, 2016
So what's the correct procedure for updating Andromeda? This is the first time I'll have to update it since I installed it.
I would imagine:
1. Uninstall all overlays
2. Update Andromeda / substratum
3. Update theme
4. Build & enable themes
5. Reboot
Can someone confirm?

johny.mnemonic

Dec 11, 2006
Praha
Similar issue here. I am using both apps from Play store on my stock Sony XZ1c.
Since updating from Substratum 953 to 983 together with Andromeda to version 20, I am unable tu use Substratum or Andromeda.
Issue seems to be mainly with Andromeda as when I first execute it, it briefly shows the status window and then vanishes. After that when I click it's icon, it either does nothing or goes to homescreen/last used app. Only reboot or sometimes force kill and data cleanup brings that status window again for a blink of an eye and then it vanishes again.
Windows bat script seems to be running fine, but Java app (AndromedaClient-Universal-1.7) is getting stuck at loading state.

The only thing I can think of is that I have Substratum and multiple Android system parts themed by Swift Dark and SX DarkRes, so maybe that is crashing the new Andromeda + Substratum combo.

Is there an easy way to cleanup all themes on rootless phone?

EDIT: Oh and I forgot to mention, that I tried to reinstall both apps and when it didn't help, I even searched net and found apks for Substratum 953 and Andromeda 18, but even installing these didn't solve it:(

Last edited:

guyd

Feb 12, 2011
Indianapolis
Similar issue here. I am using both apps from Play store on my stock Sony XZ1c.
Since updating from Substratum 953 to 983 together with Andromeda to version 20, I am unable tu use Substratum or Andromeda.
Issue seems to be mainly with Andromeda as when I first execute it, it briefly shows the status window and then vanishes. After that when I click it's icon, it either does nothing or goes to homescreen/last used app. Only reboot or sometimes force kill and data cleanup brings that status window again for a blink of an eye and then it vanishes again.
Windows bat script seems to be running fine, but Java app (AndromedaClient-Universal-1.7) is getting stuck at loading state.

Have you tried the latest test build available from the Substratum Telegram group?

mitch65009

Mar 31, 2018
I have an essential phone, and it is running android Oreo 8.1.0 I haven't used the Andromeda application in a while. I wanted to change my theme last night, and noticed that the Andromeda app wont open to tell me the status. I have tried reinstalling it, restarting my device, but im out of ideas. I cant change my theme nor will the ADB fast boot BAT file work. Substratum opens fine, but always tells me to check the status. I want to use it, but i cant anymore. Please, help me

Last edited:

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
Hi all, I have added the updated Java Client 2.0 for Andromeda v20 in the main post of the thread.

Again to note: executing the script DOES NOT automatically launch substratum on v20 and higher, this is for future linking with other apps.

ALSO: If your ADB seems to be acting up, redownload the desktop client. I've had several reports that a redownload works.

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
I have an essential phone, and it is running android Oreo 8.1.0 I haven't used the Andromeda application in a while. I wanted to change my theme last night, and noticed that the Andromeda app wont open to tell me the status. I have tried reinstalling it, restarting my device, but im out of ideas. I cant change my theme nor will the ADB fast boot BAT file work. Substratum opens fine, but always tells me to check the status. I want to use it, but i cant anymore. Please, help me

What version of Andromeda do you have? Have you updated to the latest substratum and andromeda?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Instructions for Windows

Step 1 - Download your file for your current operating system!

Andromeda App 6.0.0 (Windows): https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=1395089523397937511

Step 2 - Install the mobile clients from the Play Store

Play Store (Substratum v839+): If you have not yet, please install the main app! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=projekt.substratum

Play Store (Andromeda): You can install the latest Substratum on Android Oreo, unrooted, and it will prompt you directly (can't link due to paid addon)

Step 3 - Load up the Andromeda Desktop Client or Script!

1. Enable "USB debugging" on your device
    2. Install systemwide ADB drivers on your PC
    3. Connect your device to your PC
    4. Download the desktop client ZIP archive from the link below
    5. Extract the downloaded archive file and open the extracted app
    6. Press any button to start/stop server
    7. Wait for the process to finish, then you can disconnect your device from your PC
      You will need to do the instructions above every time you reboot your device.

As promised, this is the major Substratum update that will prompt you guys to download Andromeda.

11AM EST is the rollout time for the articles and the Andromeda addon APK!

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=73748157&postcount=15

For those impatient: https://time.is/EST
    I'm glad that a lot of people are interested. Unfortunately I'll apologize in advance if I couldn't get to your PM. My inbox just flooded like no tomorrow! Haha

Mac, Windows and Linux clients are all done, including the universal UI (alpha). So if the universal UI doesn't work, there will be a fallback.

The Andromeda app is also done and privately tested ATM. Substratum is getting patches up and ready and will be done today or tomorrow, then the full announcement for the huge update will be pushed AFTER our scheduled XDA portal post is done :)
    Hi all, this is a simple series of clean up commands for when you migrate to the new version of Substratum 990+, AND are on a Samsung device.

Newly compiled overlays will be readily visible on 990+ on Samsung + Andromeda users.

These commands are to be run INSIDE adb shell!

Uninstall all INACTIVE overlays:

Code:
    for item in $(cmd overlay list | grep '\[ \]' | sed 's/\[ \]//');do echo ${item} && pm uninstall ${item};done

Uninstall all ACTIVE overlays:

Code:
    for item in $(cmd overlay list | grep '\[x\]' | sed 's/\[x\]//');do echo ${item} && pm uninstall ${item};done

Uninstall all INVALID overlays:

Code:
    for item in $(cmd overlay list | grep '\-\-\-' | sed 's/---//');do echo ${item} && pm uninstall ${item};done
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone