PcMark: Note 3:Lollipop vs Note 4

Search This thread

v1rtu4l

Jul 18, 2008
at least the OP got a sh1tload of people download the this benchmark app. it is not a long shot to assume he has some kind of affiliation with the app or developer and is just trying to promote it (seeing he only created two threads and both about the bench mark, one in Note3 and one in the Note 4 forums :eek:).

well played.

btw: the benchmark does not really show the real life performance, because you download a package of several hundred megabytes for that work benchmark test. this means that are the actual scripted "apps" that should simulate the performance of the device in real life. since these apps that run inside the benchmark test are not the apps the galaxy note 4 use uses to operate its phone on a daily basis the result only show how well those PCmark work benchmark apps are optimized for the Note 4.
a proper comparision would compare a sample task with the installed apps that people actually use. i.e. do some image modifications and filters in the inbuild picture editor of the note 3 and then the note 4.

this benchmark would still show the note 3 superior in imaging for instance, even if samsung packed a super imaging editor in the note 4s stock rom that is 10 times as fast in doing everything (compared to the note3) simply because the bench mark uses own apps that nobody knows how well they are designed.

Last edited:

fixfox2

Aug 9, 2010
at least the OP got a sh1tload of people download the this benchmark app. it is not a long shot to assume he has some kind of affiliation with the app or developer and is just trying to promote it (seeing he only created two threads and both about the bench mark, one in Note3 and one in the Note 4 forums :eek:).

well played.

I would like to accept your praise but unfortunately, I'm just investigating a suspicion I've had about "so-called " phone upgrades.
There's no affiliation to any software developer.
I can't imagine why "simple curiosity" would be difficult to accept as the motive.

btw: the benchmark does not really show the real life performance, because you download a package of several hundred megabytes for that work benchmark test. this means that are the actual scripted "apps" that should simulate the performance of the device in real life. since these apps that run inside the benchmark test are not the apps the galaxy note 4 use uses to operate its phone on a daily basis the result only show how well those PCmark work benchmark apps are optimized for the Note 4.
a proper comparision would compare a sample task with the installed apps that people actually use. i.e. do some image modifications and filters in the inbuild picture editor of the note 3 and then the note 4.

That's what the app is trying to simulate. Perhaps you can send (benchmark developers) your suggestions.

this benchmark would still show the note 3 superior in imaging for instance, even if samsung packed a super imaging editor in the note 4s stock rom that is 10 times as fast in doing everything (compared to the note3) simply because the bench mark uses own apps that nobody knows how well they are designed.

Now "you" sound like you work for Samsung.
I'm simply checking if upgrades are really worth it..... and so far, the note4 is not a worthy upgrade ( over the note 3 - in terms of performance) for day to day activities.

However, you have every right to disagree and remain happy with your purchase.

I have both phones( Note 3 / Note4 ) and I still find the Note 3 faster.

The note4 can't even keep up with the Note3 when flipping through the same 20-page SNote document.

Last edited:

alom5

Dec 4, 2010
I have to say i can't notice the difference in terms of performance from the nite 3 to the note 4. The real upgrade is on the camera and the screen. That's what i find anyway. Performance wise really fail to see any difference. ....

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Reactions: fixfox2

fixfox2

Aug 9, 2010
I have to say i can't notice the difference in terms of performance from the nite 3 to the note 4. The real upgrade is on the camera and the screen. That's what i find anyway. Performance wise really fail to see any difference. ....

Thanks for the confirmation... I'm surprised more people have not noticed this.

tmac31

Apr 18, 2013
Thanks for the confirmation... I'm surprised more people have not noticed this.

I have both version of note 3 and exynos note 4 and s805 note edge. Edge is very similar in terms of performance with note 3s. But exynos note 4 is significantly faster than both note 3 versions.

fixfox2

Aug 9, 2010
I have both version of note 3 and exynos note 4 and s805 note edge. Edge is very similar in terms of performance with note 3s. But exynos note 4 is significantly faster than both note 3 versions.

Is your exynos note 4 running stock firmware ?

Can you elaborate on how you judge speed difference between these devices?

tmac31

Apr 18, 2013
Is your exynos note 4 running stock firmware ?

Can you elaborate on how you judge speed difference between these devices?

Yes its stock. And i just put them side by side with newest software and note 4 definetly faster. Actually in power saving mode its same with note 3 in app opening etc. Without power saving its just faster and way more responsive

fixfox2

Aug 9, 2010
Yes its stock. And i just put them side by side with newest software and note 4 definetly faster. Actually in power saving mode its same with note 3 in app opening etc. Without power saving its just faster and way more responsive

What's your average room temp ?

v1rtu4l

Jul 18, 2008
Your observations would make sense and lead to the conclusion that Samsung is better at optimizing android for its own processor. Am I correct or did I misunderstand ?

Gesendet von meinem SM-N910F mit Tapatalk

alom5

Dec 4, 2010
It is reported that the exynos variant is faster in terms of pure performance. ..so that would make sense

Last edited:

fixfox2

Aug 9, 2010
Dunno 25c? Btw im not talking about benchmarks so i dont think room temp relevant.

Not only benchmark apps..... anything that heats up the cpu/phone/gpu .... like games.

Comparing Note 3 and Note 4,
Both running lollipop ( v5.0 vs v5.01)
I have the very same apps installed on both phones... ( N900 / N910H ..... both Exynos )

Running the same apps side by side for comparison.....
eg.
SNote, - flipping through a large document. - Note 3 faster. than Note 4
benchmarks - Note 3 completes the tasks faster (eg. geekbench, antutu. )
Opening large documents - Note3 is faster

Multitasking - Note3 holds more apps in memory than Note 4 (max: 10 vs 8 ) depending on size of apps

These are just a few.

tmac31

Apr 18, 2013
Not only benchmark apps..... anything that heats up the cpu/phone/gpu .... like games.

Comparing Note 3 and Note 4,
Both running lollipop ( v5.0 vs v5.01)
I have the very same apps installed on both phones... ( N900 / N910H ..... both Exynos )

Running the same apps side by side for comparison.....
eg.
SNote, - flipping through a large document. - Note 3 faster. than Note 4
benchmarks - Note 3 completes the tasks faster (eg. geekbench, antutu. )
Opening large documents - Note3 is faster

Multitasking - Note3 holds more apps in memory than Note 4 (max: 10 vs 8 ) depending on size of apps

These are just a few.

im not a gamer so i didnt see any of my devices throttle in general use

dont have anything on snote. but on evernote both is smooth note 4 is abit better.
in geekbench my note 4 finisg it way faster with almost 50% higher score. deleted antutu long time ago but i bet gpu bug on note 4 lollipop effects there

i just opened a very big word document note 4 opened it faster and scrolling is smoother.

in every app note 4 launches signifacantly faster for me

about ram. my note 4 has higher free ram but also note 4 apps use higher ram like stock browser use like 2x ram on note 4. and yes note 3 is better in here but switching between opened apps note 4 is more responsive and fast too.
dunno its my experience with it.

every bloat disabled or deleted from all devices. useless smart features not active too if it matters.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

Your observations would make sense and lead to the conclusion that Samsung is better at optimizing android for its own processor. Am I correct or did I misunderstand ?

exynos 5433 and s805 has power difference. exynos has more powerful cpu so i cant comment on optimizing anything on note 4.

but on note 3 i dont see any difference only exynos note 3 has better browsing performance it probably about cpu too. in general use both version is very similar only difference note 3 exynos heats mor than s800 note 3

Reactions: fixfox2

v1rtu4l

Jul 18, 2008
The difference in processors does not make much sense since you can clearly see in the benchmark app that the processor is never even remotely under full load.

tmac31

Apr 18, 2013
The difference in processors does not make much sense since you can clearly see in the benchmark app that the processor is never even remotely under full load.

ah if you are talking about this benchmark i didnt even try it real life simulating benchmarks worthless imo. and if processor doesnt go full load in this test it makes sense why scores are low cuz note 4 exynos goes full freq mostly on every app opening etc and browsing too

Last edited:

darkbahamut

Mar 1, 2010

You mean because the clock speed is rarely maxed? That's not really a big issue to be honest. A benchmark that fully loaded the CPU wouldn't tell you a lot because the device would be throttling within 10 seconds so wouldn't give you any indication of real usage at all.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That's more like it .....

Phone details please?

Lollipop 5.0.1 ?
    Touchwiz ?
    stock ROM ?
    Stock kernel ?
    Phone model N910C ?

details please !!

N910C , KitKat4.4.4, my kernel UK_v.11.4(special version for performance, not uploaded on xda).
    8a9d9af99d812f7efc41bea39389f77c.jpg

The guy above has exynos and 4.4.4 since it has 4G and not lte as symbol for LTE connection.

And yes lollipop has a issue with the gpu I guess, on antutu it gives more times half the gpu score as it should be. 7.5k instead of 15k+

N910C with polish lolipop stock

Go in power saving. Enable it then remove cpu limit from list and disable power saving. Its a bug on lollipop whatever power saving is enabled or disabled if cpu limit checked gpu stays in power saving mode.
    Are there no Note4 variants that can score better than 5000 out there?

Please give full details of the setup..i.e stock Rom/kernel etc
    Well....
    4901.. I'm having bad results at video playback .. so, as I have said.. the problem with the bad optimization of the GPU on Lollipop is affecting the overall result.. I think with the next update the results will increase..
    Sent from my SM-N910C using XDA Free mobile app
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone