perfect piano poll/test faulty pixel hardware

Search This thread

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive Recognized Deve
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
When I chatted in they told me again it's a SW issue and even sent me this email:

"Hi Patrick,

Thanks for contacting Google Support,

This is in continuation to the conversation we had regarding the crackling noise.

Thanks for taking the time to report this. This is currently a known issue and we are working to resolve it. In the meantime, a temporary solution can be to not play your device at max volume. Google is committed to continually making improvements to our devices and regularly provides free software updates to customers. If you have any other questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact us for further assistance.

In case if you experience issue longer after update, please reply to this email. I'm happy to help!"

Take it with a grain of salt...

Reactions: Scott

ahent

Mar 31, 2012
Johnston, IA
Crap, I mentioned earlier I didn't have it, but I do. Played a bit more and noticed it on the top 2 levels of volume, anything less and there is no popping. So I think I will stand pat with my phone and see where this goes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

psychatog64

Jan 27, 2011
am I the only one who doesn't care to look for the issue? If I don't notice an issue when using the phone how I normally use it I could care less.
It's not the point of being able to live with it or not caring as I can live with it to as I never noticed it my self until I read about that was the point of this thread more or less to see how many phones truly do have the issue the thing I only care about is the price of these phones and now basically this could mean we have crap speakers installed and as of now yea we don't notice and can deal with it but what does that mean down the road if we have it for awhile etc 900 dollar phones sound and audio output issue should be the last thing we should of had a issue with.

ithehappy

May 5, 2008
Calcutta
Lens flare, purple tinted camera interface, this speaker crackling, none of these should be there at first place, this is the most expensive Android ever released, so we should be less forgiving to Google or anybody for that matter. But at the same time, none of these matter in daily usage. The speaker crackling only happen in very few places, that piano app, mummy trailer for example, purple tint in camera I could just never reproduce, never had it once, and if anyone knows slight about photography then lens flare could both be avoided and reproduced every time you want.

About this speaker crackling issue I don't know, but Google will probably lower the power/output dB of the speaker, or I hope they can add some sort of magic filter or something which won't reproduce the crackling issue without messing up any specific set of notes, don't know, but as Google acknowledged it I am sure a firmware will address this issue.

Some people do glorify the issues of this phone in particular as they can't afford it, but you will be seeing a lot of forgiving people for phones like OnePlus 3 and sorts, just because people can afford it, but the truth is people shouldn't be forgiving to anything. I am not in the slightest saying anything about OP, I rather like it that created this topic. Cause this problem was mentioned in Google's forum and demonstrated on Youtube only thus far.

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive Recognized Deve
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
Lens flare, purple tinted camera interface, this speaker crackling, none of these should be there at first place, this is the most expensive Android ever released, so we should be less forgiving to Google or anybody for that matter. But at the same time, none of these matter in daily usage. The speaker crackling only happen in very few places, that piano app, mummy trailer for example, purple tint in camera I could just never reproduce, never had it once, and if anyone knows slight about photography then lens flare could both be avoided and reproduced every time you want.

About this speaker crackling issue I don't know, but Google will probably lower the power/output dB of the speaker, or I hope they can add some sort of magic filter or something which won't reproduce the crackling issue without messing up any specific set of notes, don't know, but as Google acknowledged it I am sure a firmware will address this issue.

Some people do glorify the issues of this phone in particular as they can't afford it, but you will be seeing a lot of forgiving people for phones like OnePlus 3 and sorts, just because people can afford it, but the truth is people shouldn't be forgiving to anything. I am not in the slightest saying anything about OP, I rather like it that created this topic. Cause this problem was mentioned in Google's forum and demonstrated on Youtube only thus far.
It's not the most expensive Android phone released. Hell I paid over $1000 with tax for my GS6 edge 128gb when it first came out. I paid almost $900 for the international GS3 when that first came out. Android devices have always been expensive. It was the Nexus 5 and all the Chinese oems that came after that conditioned people that paying $400 for a smartphone should be the norm. But it's for sure not the most expensive Android phone there has been. It's one of the more expensive ones in today's market yes, but it's not the most expensive. Hell any flagship from Samsung, HTC, LG are all in the $700/800+ range.

Reactions: Scott

ithehappy

May 5, 2008
Calcutta
Well it's the most expensive here in India at least. I've never seen launching price of a phone this high. Not S7, not Note 5, nothing.

Sent from my Pixel XL

psychatog64

Jan 27, 2011
It's not the most expensive Android phone released. Hell I paid over $1000 with tax for my GS6 edge 128gb when it first came out. I paid almost $900 for the international GS3 when that first came out. Android devices have always been expensive. It was the Nexus 5 and all the Chinese oems that came after that conditioned people that paying $400 for a smartphone should be the norm. But it's for sure not the most expensive Android phone there has been. It's one of the more expensive ones in today's market yes, but it's not the most expensive. Hell any flagship from Samsung, HTC, LG are all in the $700/800+ range.
Not say your wrong cause I'm also almost certain other phones have been this high in price as well but this is buy far most I have ever paid for a android phone and I had pretty much all the flag ship phones but none at the time of purchase where as high as this one whether it was flat out purchase or through carrier idk if I just happen to get then all at times deals where going on with discounts or what ever but the pixel has been the most expensive so far for me just my own experience

mwalt2

Feb 22, 2009
I'm not so sure it is a hardware speaker problem. The same crackling happens when connected a bluetooth speaker as well. Has anyone with the issue also tested it when connected to other sources (ie, not the phone's internal speaker).

desiregeek

Jun 27, 2010

Yeah, if they decide not to change the speakers inside the smartphone then they will probably pull a Mickey Mouse Job at the manufacturer and lower the Audio db output. Taiwanese are quite famous for these Mickey Mouse jobs. One can tell after by doing a db loudness test to see how loud it is.

psychatog64

Jan 27, 2011
Well replacement came from Verizon omg lol **** is worse then my original so I'm sending them back the replacement and just gonna wait the month to see what google has to say o also BTW Verizon replacement are coming with 7.1.1 o firmware on them

ahent

Mar 31, 2012
Johnston, IA
And that's why I am just hanging on to what I have, it wasn't noticeable unless I was using piano perfect at full volume. So I will wait and see instead of trying to setup a new phone every couple of weeks. BTW, my phone was from Google and I have never had issues with their customer service, so here's to hoping that if they can't fix the phones that are already out I the wild, that I can get a replacement later.

fiffan86

Dec 2, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Well replacement came from Verizon omg lol **** is worse then my original so I'm sending them back the replacement and just gonna wait the month to see what google has to say o also BTW Verizon replacement are coming with 7.1.1 o firmware on them

I just did the test and I guess I never have my phone loud. It's not worth sending back for me since I dont want to get stuck not being able to unlock my bootloader......I've been playing music full blast and I haven't heard it, no wonder why I haven't checked yet, but it does it in the piano

Last edited:

zetsumeikuro

Jul 13, 2010
I tested my friends black 128 GB Pixel XL with multiple piano apps Perfect Piano and Piano Keyboard. Perfect Piano has the crackle 1 space from maximum volume, while Piano Keyboard has zero issues even at max volume. So it very well could just be the app? Or is there a specific reason why Perfect Piano has to be the app utilized for testing? There was no speaker crackle on anything else except for Perfect Piano on my friend's XL. Also there's someone commenting about the same thing on the youtube video several comments down.

Last edited:

psychatog64

Jan 27, 2011
I tested my friends black 128 GB Pixel XL with multiple piano apps Perfect Piano and Piano Keyboard. Perfect Piano has the crackle 1 space from maximum volume, while Piano Keyboard has zero issues even at max volume. So it very well could just be the app? Or is there a specific reason why Perfect Piano has to be the app utilized for testing? There was no speaker crackle on anything else except for Perfect Piano on my friend's XL. Also there's someone commenting about the same thing on the youtube video several comments down.
Perfect piano was the app used to recreate the sound the easiest way that all I know about why that app in general was used instead of anything other then that

Reactions: zetsumeikuro

Vivoin3d

Jun 5, 2011
I'm not going to install the app just to test the speaker. But on youtube there is a link to a music video - well, watching that at full volume on youtube, I get that cracking noise. If I play exactly the same song at full volume on soundcloud (via broswer and not the app), I get no cracking noise.
Mummy Trailer (2017) is also cracking free.
When I listen to hard rock at full volume using Google Music, I don't get any cracking noise.

Conclusion: Who cares about that crappy app.

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
I'm not so sure it is a hardware speaker problem. The same crackling happens when connected a bluetooth speaker as well. Has anyone with the issue also tested it when connected to other sources (ie, not the phone's internal speaker).
Hmmm... I have been using B/T and wired and not had an issue... But I will say this... The B/T sound and hardwired sound has been diminished on the last update. As much as I have learned about the issue then I must believe it exist. Personally, I have not had it. But I do believe it exist.

I can mod mixer_paths to test if anyone wants to try?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

am I the only one who doesn't care to look for the issue? If I don't notice an issue when using the phone how I normally use it I could care less.
    It's not the point of being able to live with it or not caring as I can live with it to as I never noticed it my self until I read about that was the point of this thread more or less to see how many phones truly do have the issue the thing I only care about is the price of these phones and now basically this could mean we have crap speakers installed and as of now yea we don't notice and can deal with it but what does that mean down the road if we have it for awhile etc 900 dollar phones sound and audio output issue should be the last thing we should of had a issue with.
    So let's give this a shot all and see how many of us have a messed up phone download perfect piano and swipe your finger across the the keys real fast and if your phone is messed up you will hear loud crackling then try it on another phone with same app and guess what you won't hear crackling also apparently its only at full volume lowering one click might make it stop.

Edit: 3 clicks lower for me makes it stop google is calling it software issues and says its in process of being fixed and should be within the month but my issue with that statement is if the volume has to be lowered for it to stop then toe that's not software but crappy speaker hardware that can't handle the output of the volume. What that means to me is if they plan on fixing it what they gonna do lower our volume output so much to where we can't hear our phones anymore.? so that way they can save money by not replacing them and saying there fixed.

http://mashable.com/2016/12/19/google-pixel-xl-speaker-problems/#MSe3RwfkBsqH
    Have it. First thing I checked after getting the phone. As long as my ringtone, and other media files's volumes don't crackle, I don't give a rat's arse about it.
    I have never heard crackling on my 128gb XL at full volume until I tried this app. Yet, one click lower and it's perfect.

Regardless, if it doesn't happen in real world, it's not an issue.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone