• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Perl for Windows RT

Search This thread

bfosterjr

Jan 13, 2013
All,

Please find the attached binaries for Perl 5.12.4

These binaries were distributed freely by Microsoft in its Hardware Certification Kit and still contain the original Perl5 licensing agreement (curious if they modified the source and where it is though).

Perl and its core modules are distributable (and re-distributable) under a variety of open source licensing options. I've chosen to publish the Perl binaries here under GPLv1 - specifically section 3c. I have received no information regarding the location of the source code. I can only presume this came from the Perl 5.12.4 development repository (http://dev.perl.org/)

If anyone feels I have violated any licensing agreement, I will happily remove the binaries.

Enjoy!

Code:
C:\Perl>perl -v

This is perl 5, version 12, subversion 4 (v5.12.4) built for MSWin32-ARM-multi-thread

Copyright 1987-2010, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

Attachments

• Perl_5.12.4_arm.7z
    497.7 KB · Views: 1,651
Last edited:

bfosterjr

Jan 13, 2013
A completely useable development language for Windows RT (no jailbreak required!) .. and less than 15 downloads.. ?..

Not a lot of Perl fans here I guess.. :). Ha!

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
I was wondering, who still use Perl and for what?

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

It works like a charm.

supposedly: amazon.com, BBC.co.uk and Ticketmaster all use it in their CGI scripts. I guess if your a company with a script written in perl 18 years ago but it still works, well, why fix what isn't broke?
Looking around it seems it was pretty popular wherever text needed to be parsed in particular ways.

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
It was a popular choice for web apps in the early days of such things, since modifying text (including HTML) is something the language is pretty great at. On a more user-ish level, it's still reasonably commonly used for little "do something more complex than a shell script but simpler / more hackable than is worth a full executable binary" tools, but python has largely displaced it there. The *nix community uses it a lot more than the Windows community, too.

Reactions: lobalt

life02

Jan 17, 2006
DFW
All,

These binaries were distributed freely by Microsoft in its Hardware Certification Kit and still contain the original Perl5 licensing agreement (curious if they modified the source and where it is though).

Perl and its core modules are distributable (and re-distributable) under a variety of open source licensing options. I've chosen to publish the Perl binaries here under GPLv1 - specifically section 3c. I have received no information regarding the location of the source code. I can only presume this came from the Perl 5.12.4 development repository (http://dev.perl.org/)

If anyone feels I have violated any licensing agreement, I will happily remove the binaries.

Enjoy!

Awesome... Thanks for posting!

nutrapi

Oct 14, 2009
level 3

supposedly: amazon.com, BBC.co.uk and Ticketmaster all use it in their CGI scripts. I guess if your a company with a script written in perl 18 years ago but it still works, well, why fix what isn't broke?
Looking around it seems it was pretty popular wherever text needed to be parsed in particular ways.

When I worked at level 3 we still used Perl all over the place. It still technically 'runs the internet' as the saying used to go - as level 3 owns the AS1 network (largest segment of the internet).

I still use perl today for formatting files quickly or backend systems dev, though for other types of development I typically use something else these days.

Last edited:

Myriachan

Feb 11, 2013
Sadly, there isn't an RT 8.1-signed version of Perl out there that I know of. The RT version of Perl has a nice security hole that could be exploited to bootstrap a jailbreak on 8.0, but not 8.1 if you can't run it >.<

Oh well, my PowerShell exploit is enough.

Reactions: wcomhelp

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
When I worked at level 3 we still used Perl all over the place. It still technically 'runs the internet' as the saying used to go - as level 3 owns the AS1 network (largest segment of the internet).

I still use perl today for formatting files quickly or backend systems dev, though for other types of development I typically use something else these days.

It might have fallen out of favour with alot of people, but it still has its place in the world.

BIade

Apr 11, 2013
Cologne
I was wondering, who still use Perl and for what?

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

It works like a charm.

I use it for my self-made home-automation. A web-site on my hacked FritzBox! (with freetz) which let me communicate through a self-made "Usb-Serial-device". I don't know why, but my perl-script runs smoother than my php-serial-script.

Long Story, but in short: THANK YOU SOO MUCH for sharing this with us :)

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
I don't know why, but my perl-script runs smoother than my php-serial-script.

Sometimes its best not to question it I have found...

Why the hell does an overflowing positive integer in C# give me a negative integer and then become zero (which is somewhat logical when you look at the binary representation) whereas in VB.net it seems to go straight to giving the string "infinity", I dunno, i dont question it.

Reactions: BIade

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
In C# (and all other languages, typically including BASIC dialects), a signed int goes negative on overflow because that's how two-complement binary representation works. Calling it "somewhat logical" is like suggesting that 'A' + 1 == 'B' is "somewhat logical"... no, that's how ASCII works. These are things which have been part of the computing world for over five decades. They are literally some of the oldest standards in computing.

If an int is turning into a string for you in VB, for the love of $DEITY stop using variants. Dim foo as Integer = (Integer.MAX + 1) should give Integer.MIN, or throw an exception if you have overflow checking enforced.

Reactions: BIade

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
In C# (and all other languages, typically including BASIC dialects), a signed int goes negative on overflow because that's how two-complement binary representation works. Calling it "somewhat logical" is like suggesting that 'A' + 1 == 'B' is "somewhat logical"... no, that's how ASCII works. These are things which have been part of the computing world for over five decades. They are literally some of the oldest standards in computing.

If an int is turning into a string for you in VB, for the love of $DEITY stop using variants. Dim foo as Integer = (Integer.MAX + 1) should give Integer.MIN, or throw an exception if you have overflow checking enforced.

I know why the hell a signed int goes negative on overflow. If you want I can write out the IEEE floating point representation in binary for a given number. Somewhat logical was a play on words, it is very logical. I am not a moron, But no, every time you quote me it seems to be you putting me down no matter what I say, so I am used to that now.

I'm doing anything funny in VB.net other than reading in 2 numbers from the console, casting them to int, adding them, printing the result out, gives "Infinity" for some reason. Never goes negative beforehand. The same code in C# does go negative and then to zero. VB does seem to carry on doing arithmetic on it fine as if it was 0 still, it just shouldn't write to the console as Infinity, it should write as zero, almost seems to be .NET catching and marking the overflow and then the .ToString() method catching the overflow as "infinity" instead of 0. But why bother in VB.net yet not C#. Why bother at all.

mickel52

Sep 23, 2013
There is a wonderful program frn. It is very much important for amateur radio operators. for it is in perl source. If somebody started it all would have been grateful. It is used to link a raspberry-based Pi.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All,

Enjoy!

Code:
    C:\Perl>perl -v

This is perl 5, version 12, subversion 4 (v5.12.4) built for MSWin32-ARM-multi-thread

Copyright 1987-2010, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
    GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
    this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to the
    Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.
    It was a popular choice for web apps in the early days of such things, since modifying text (including HTML) is something the language is pretty great at. On a more user-ish level, it's still reasonably commonly used for little "do something more complex than a shell script but simpler / more hackable than is worth a full executable binary" tools, but python has largely displaced it there. The *nix community uses it a lot more than the Windows community, too.
    Sadly, there isn't an RT 8.1-signed version of Perl out there that I know of. The RT version of Perl has a nice security hole that could be exploited to bootstrap a jailbreak on 8.0, but not 8.1 if you can't run it >.<

Oh well, my PowerShell exploit is enough.
    I don't know why, but my perl-script runs smoother than my php-serial-script.

Sometimes its best not to question it I have found...

Why the hell does an overflowing positive integer in C# give me a negative integer and then become zero (which is somewhat logical when you look at the binary representation) whereas in VB.net it seems to go straight to giving the string "infinity", I dunno, i dont question it.