Permanently disable android market update

Search This thread

@Class

Oct 27, 2008
Hi,

How can I permanently disable the Android market application from updating? I've used uninstaller to remove the update, but it seems Android thinks it has the authority to automatically update it self when it so pleases.

Is this not a violation of the TOS? How can I permanently prevent the Android Market application from installing updates?

The new version is a usability nightmare. Over half the screen is allocated to the stupid green top to which "google" will eventually be pushing their own advertised applications. Its absolutely brutal and unusable in its current form.

My phone is rooted if that makes a difference: IE change the permissions of the Android Market.apk so no one has the privilege to change write it.

google-android-market1-6_2.jpg

AndroidMarketUpdate.jpg

Last edited:

phuthanvinh

Jan 8, 2009
Android apps don't update themselves unless you allow them by checking the "automatic update" box. Uncheck that and see what happen. I've never encounter an app updates itself without my permission, unless I misunderstand your question?

CyberWalrus

Sep 5, 2009
Try something like:

adb shell chmod 555 /system/app/Vending.apk
adb shell cp /system/app/vending.apk /data/app/
adb shell chmod 555 /data/app/Vending.apk

NexusDro

Jan 28, 2010
Android apps don't update themselves unless you allow them by checking the "automatic update" box. Uncheck that and see what happen. I've never encounter an app updates itself without my permission, unless I misunderstand your question?

Yes, you misunderstood the question. The OP is talking about the actual Android Market itself. It automatically updates itself as soon as you launch the Market.

Izkata

Aug 2, 2010
Chicago
I just got the update, and yeah, this was really badly done.

Apparently loading the market now starts on your downloads list, which I find to be rather useless - I'm in the market to search or browse, and already have the main app list for this...

The curved upper part is pointless and just makes it feel more cramped, since it blocks most of whatever's at that part of the scrolling. It also keeps changing size, depending on what part of the Market you're in, rather disorienting.

The amount of lag is at the HOLY CRAP level, at least on the main screen that contains "Featured Apps". I had to put my phone down and wait just now because it completely stopped responding..

Now, let's go into "Apps"...

There are new subcategories, which is nice, but the Featured Apps are still there. Why? It's just a waste of space at this point.

Selecting an app, it's just a big mess. The curved upper part that has contained nothing but "Featured Apps" and the selector for Paid/Free/New now contains the image, name, and install/open/update/uninstall buttons, as well as the rating. I did ignore it for a short bit, expecting more ads, but then I realized - all the update/install/etc buttons in the entire market have been moved from the bottom of the screen to the top. And they're smaller, and their styles are different, so it's not immediately apparent.

Why is the Description automatically in "Less" mode? What happened to the nice tabs for Description, Comments, and Related that I had - now it's all smooshed back onto one page MySpace style..

I also see Allow Automatic Updates takes up... Wow, 3 lines, large gaps, and 1/3rd of my screen. Much more than it used to, for identical functionality. Again, why?

I think I'm going to redownload the AppBrain app for my searches. The "Update All" button is all I'll want from here.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
I have no problems with the new market and it only loads the downloads page if that was the last page I was on and didnt close it completely and just put it in the background. IT may be device or Android version dependent as I have the update on a Captivate, Streak, and a LG ally and they all have almost no lag that I can notice.

bgs_piece

Aug 15, 2010
Mine is working perfectly fine and only starts on the downloads page if I used the "home" button to exit the market rather than hitting back until it exited out. No lag and downloads seem to be faster as well. I am rooted and overclocked on a Droid X if that matters.

deepindigo

Dec 18, 2010
Have to agree with OP and Izkata, this is terrible from a usability standpoint; way too much scrolling and clicking to look at things like descriptions and comments on the details screen. Tabs just make more sense for that. Not to mention that when I'm browsing for apps, that curved upper section takes anywhere from 1/2 to 1/3 of my screen. Major fail on this one.

xxos

Sep 17, 2010
The Android Market Automatically Updates ITSELF ...

The original question was how does one prevent ithe Market from updating itself.

There is a suggested solution for a rooted phone ... which someone has tried?

Is there a solution for a phone as yet unrooted?

xxos

marvin02

Mar 29, 2010
Indiana
I had trouble with the market update on my rooted Flipside so I uninstalled the updates and used Titanium Backup to freeze the Market Updater app. Did this a week ago and so far no adverse effects.

xxos, as far as I know there is no way to prevent the update on a non-rooted phone.

xxos

Sep 17, 2010
As soon as I get over a certain natural nervousness I will be rooting my little beauty.

I like the idea of going straight to 2.3 and I like the idea of starting from a Sense-less base.

Any suggestions?

xxos

HTC Desire GSM 2.2

CosmicDan

Jun 19, 2009
Sydney
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
I had trouble with the market update on my rooted Flipside so I uninstalled the updates and used Titanium Backup to freeze the Market Updater app. Did this a week ago and so far no adverse effects.

xxos, as far as I know there is no way to prevent the update on a non-rooted phone.

Thanks for the tip! Doing this you can keep the old Market, thus the Fast Web Installer from AppBrain still works :D

dorqus

Sep 2, 2010
NY
"pm disable com.android.vending.updater" should stop the market from auto-updating on you (You need to do this from a terminal session (or via adb shell) and you need to be rooted.

Reactions: alroger

d11dog11

Apr 15, 2008
I used bloat freezer to freeze the market updater and it worked fine. Also requires root

Sent from my Att Atrix 4g unlocked.

Reactions: pwoita

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Diable android market update

I didn’t like the new android market application, and I’m not the only one. If you want to get back to old one, application name is Vending.apk available in the \system\app\ folder, you can just replace it from your old stock ROM. The easiest way is to send your old Vending.apk by bluetooth or cable to your phone and then use Root explorer to move it to the \app folder by overwriting existing one, of course to do that, you need root access. Do not forget to wipe Dalvik cache. Some developers offer a convenient package to be installed in recovery mode.

But even after rolling-back, Android Market application gets automatically updated and there’s is no option to disable this update. We can fix this by using Terminal Emulator. We will gain root access and then disable the updater application:

1) su -
    2) pm disable com.android.vending.updater
    That’s it, and if by chance things go wrong, you can just enable updating.
    I got this idea from

prepaidandroids.net/topic/2405-guide-disable-market-update
    (sorry, i can't use url when post)

and need root explore or something like that to change MarketUpdater.apk to MarketUpdater.apk.bak

---origin post---

If for some reason you choose to stick with the earlier version, rather than the latest version of the market, here's how to disable the update.

NOTE: Phone must be rooted and have super user rights.

1. Go into your system/app folder and rename MarketUpdater.apk to MarketUpdater.apk.bak. (I would suggest a rename instead of deleting the apk)
    2. If the market has already updated, after doing step 1, go to Settings > Applications > Manage applications.
    3. Scroll down to Market, click on it and choose Uninstall updates.

Done. No more market update.
    "pm disable com.android.vending.updater" should stop the market from auto-updating on you (You need to do this from a terminal session (or via adb shell) and you need to be rooted.
    I used bloat freezer to freeze the market updater and it worked fine. Also requires root

Sent from my Att Atrix 4g unlocked.