Permanently hide Navigation Bar on Nexus 7

Search This thread

tipsek

May 7, 2011
Well I just gave up searching for that "soft key bar service" could someone help? I couldn't find it in System Tuner.

Reactions: jellymelly

Syk69

May 5, 2012
Thanks. Did you try this yourself? I added the line "qemu..." to build.prop and have successfully hidden the navbar, but I can't find the startup item of "softkeys" in the mentioned "system tuner" app...

No I haven't tried it myself sorry. Maybe the soft keys service only applies to the kindle but not sure.

Troopermanaic

Dec 22, 2011
If you wanna keep the top bars and use LMT without the soft buttons you can add qemu.hw.mainkeys=1 to build.prop if that's what you are asking. "Sorry didn't read all the replies if this is already answered".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

FLASHnox

Feb 1, 2012
Rooted My device to do this and ended up soft briicking which nearly gave me a heart attack. For some reason build.prop would not save even after enabling r/w and all the other permissions, so I tried one last edit and decided to reboot and it gave me a black screen, hour or so later finally get my pc to pull the build.prop and it wasn't even edited which had me stumped for some time till I finally noticed that there were 2 extra lines. I didn't really think that it could have been that but decided to delete them and push it back and it worked. My goodness what a nerve wracking few hours it was just to get rid of that huge amount of wasted space.

At this point I still wanted to free that space so I went ahead and flashed a rom and guess what, it was twice as easy and it also upped my performance. Haha I know it sounds stupid that it's easier to flash a rom then to edit a simple file, but it really was. Also if it matters I was running 4.2.1, I didn't read through the whole thread so my bad if someone mentioned that it doesn't work.

TL:DR flash a rom that can get rid of the nav bar ( IMO of course )

old_god

Aug 29, 2011
CM10.1 nightlies, added "qemu.hw.mainkeys=1" to /system/build.prop, rebooted and done =D

I use LMT pie to replace the navbar.

No problems so far. Thank you.

Last edited:

waky_xperia

Sep 21, 2011
Bradford

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-19-10-27-34.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-03-19-10-27-34.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:

cramamarshall

Jan 12, 2011
Tampa Bay
Worked perfectly!!

I wanted the greatest amount of usable screen "real estate" on my Nexus 7 so I looked for ways to hide the black Navigation Bar that spans the bottom of the display. My launcher of choice, GO Launcher EX, has an option to hide it but that didn't work. There are apps that supposedly hide it but either they only hide it until you return to your home screen or they hide it but leave thick unusable black gaps at the bottom and the top of the display. I use Button Savior for my navigation so I just wanted the Navigation Bar GONE.

I read that, on other devices, adding the line "qemu.hw.mainkeys=1" to the build.prop file under /system would do it but I added the line and it did nothing. Then -- since I was just beginning to customize a newly rooted Nexus 7 (32GB, in case that matters) I scrubbed EVERYTHING and took it back to stock, then rooted it with WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit (Version 1.5.5). Next I entered my sign-in data and installed Root Explorer from Google Play (so I could edit system files). Then -- before I did anything else to the tablet, I again added "qemu.hw.mainkeys=1" to the end of build.prop in /system. It worked! The Navigation Bar disappeared and has not reappeared no matter what I've done (reboot, add apps, customize, etc). Better yet, my wallpaper image instantly resized to fill the screen space I'd recaptured. My rows of icons adjust to fill and use the space and no black bars are left anywhere on screen.

It seems unlikely that I'm the first to discover that this works with the Nexus 7 since I'm not a very sophisticated user but in case this adds value to the XDA forum, which I use and very much appreciate, here it is.

I tried this on my rooted Nexus 7 and it worked perfectly!! Thank you for this post! I have a Kindle Fire HD but it is down for the moment! 9Bricked)

dtg7

Feb 19, 2013
full!screen+ is good. I used GMD Gesture some times, but some times it messes up my wallpaper - blank black wallpaper.

the wallpaper issue is well documented. it's a conflict with static wallpaper. switch to live or use an app to set static. see the help menu on GMD.

I'm currently using both "full!screen" app and gmd. would not need full!screen if gmd handled notifications, which it doesn't at all. speaking of notifications, seems like no app can handle them directly if the status bar is disabled, which it is if you use apps like full!screen and gmd to disable navbar. Apps can only view notifications after they're first handled by the status bar, which so far full!screen seems better at than another I tried but abandoned for excessive ram use.

Haven't tried the build prop method as that seems to only remove the navbar and I'd also like to remove the status bar (launchers seem to remove it only in homescreen). So, using gmd for gestures and full!screen to handle the fullscreening (disabled that in gmd) and notification viewing.

Edit: full!screen does seem to handle fullscreening better.

Last edited:

dtg7

Feb 19, 2013
Edit: I had earlier stated that my build.prop file seemed to have somehow been edited automatically to remove the navbar, and suspected full!screen+ of doing it.
I decided to try and replicate the situation to see what caused it. I deleted the line in build.prop and restarted. The navbar came back. Then I did everything I could think of with full!screen+ and gmd to try and trigger the build.prop edit automatically. Nothing. No luck.
So the earlier incident is a mystery and since I can't replicate it my post is meaningless. In retrospect I should have done the experiment before posting. I'll edit out the erroneous post to avoid confusing anyone.

So back to square one. Edit build.prop manually to get status bar with no navbar. thankfully that is pretty easy to do.

Last edited:

diba320

Dec 21, 2011
Use fullscreen+ for several months now. But the APP hides navbar AND notification bar, no choice to hide the one or other only. At least on my N7 3G. I am in mail contact with the developer and he told me, that fullscreen+ can handle this only this way. So quite surprised to have someone reporting the possibility to just hide navbar. Will try this with modifying build.prop as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wanted the greatest amount of usable screen "real estate" on my Nexus 7 so I looked for ways to hide the black Navigation Bar that spans the bottom of the display. My launcher of choice, GO Launcher EX, has an option to hide it but that didn't work. There are apps that supposedly hide it but either they only hide it until you return to your home screen or they hide it but leave thick unusable black gaps at the bottom and the top of the display. I use Button Savior for my navigation so I just wanted the Navigation Bar GONE.

I read that, on other devices, adding the line "qemu.hw.mainkeys=1" to the build.prop file under /system would do it but I added the line and it did nothing. Then -- since I was just beginning to customize a newly rooted Nexus 7 (32GB, in case that matters) I scrubbed EVERYTHING and took it back to stock, then rooted it with WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit (Version 1.5.5). Next I entered my sign-in data and installed Root Explorer from Google Play (so I could edit system files). Then -- before I did anything else to the tablet, I again added "qemu.hw.mainkeys=1" to the end of build.prop in /system. It worked! The Navigation Bar disappeared and has not reappeared no matter what I've done (reboot, add apps, customize, etc). Better yet, my wallpaper image instantly resized to fill the screen space I'd recaptured. My rows of icons adjust to fill and use the space and no black bars are left anywhere on screen.

It seems unlikely that I'm the first to discover that this works with the Nexus 7 since I'm not a very sophisticated user but in case this adds value to the XDA forum, which I use and very much appreciate, here it is.
    Thats clear.
    But how did you acitvate fullscreen+ and keep the status bar?

so we agree that:
    * You can't keep the status bar while hiding navbar unless you modify build.prop system file
    That is, you can't do it with just full!screen+ app.

If you want to run full!screen+ on top of the build.prop mod, you're basically only using the app as a button replacement and not using it for its main purpose, fullscreening. You could just as easily use any other button replacement system. And deactivating full!screen+ will not bring back your navbar, only build.prop will do that.

OK understanding that, if you still want full!screen+ running on a modified build.prop, you'll need the help of full!screen free version. here's what you do:
    - With your build.prop mod hiding the navbar, you should have full!screen+ activated. Now both navbar and status bar are gone.
    - Now activate then Deactivate full!screen free version. This forces the status bar back. Your navbar remains hidden because of your modified build.prop
    - You'll notice full!screen+ is still running since you never deactivated it. And to reiterate, deactivating full!screen+ will not bring back navbar.

Personally I have no need for the status bar other than Notifications. And since full!screen+ handles those nicely I have no need to do the above. But maybe for some reason you do, I dunno.
    I use Button Savior. There are other "soft key" solutions as well. I have Button Savior set to never "auto hide" so it's always available (it can always be manually popped in and out). I've got it placed just above the keyboard so it's never in my way when typing. I have it set to semi-transparent so I can always see it but also always see through it. The beauty of soft key solutions is that they take up NO screen real estate and, at least in the case of Button Savior, you can place them exactly where you want them so that you never have to move your hand to navigate your screen. Button Savior needs to be on a rooted device to work properly but you have to be rooted to do this procedure anyway.
    +1 on GMD Gesture Control. Not cheap ($5), but worth every penny.
    I'm developing new root app that does just that. It allows you to hide navigation bar and keep notification bar. It also add auto hiding status bar replacement. No system modification, and no reboot required, but root is needed.

Try it here and let me know what you think. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2253770

P.S: If you hide navigation bar with mod described in this thread, you have to restore it or app will not hide/restore it. Anyway it will allow you to use auto hide status bar replacement.