Permission Ruler (Root Preferred)

Search This thread
hi
i think i have a problem with this. but im not sure.
i have just installed lineage 18.1 on my galaxy s5 with the rom from here.
i have magisk installed, with it set to ask for root permissions.

when i installed permissions ruler, it didnt ask for root access, it just said it does not have it?
when i open up permission ruler, and have status running, v 1.5.55 says 'root not available' in red writing.

is this because its running lineage 18.1 and working fine?
is it to do with magisk?

thanks
Hi,
That's strange.
Can you try to check if magisk manager has "deny" on Permission Ruler?
If it's "ask", when the app starts it should ask for root permission.
What happens if you grant root permissions directly from Magisk manager?

Thanks

Reactions: jimsters

jimsters

Apr 13, 2021
Hi,
That's strange.
Can you try to check if magisk manager has "deny" on Permission Ruler?
If it's "ask", when the app starts it should ask for root permission.
What happens if you grant root permissions directly from Magisk manager?

im not 100% sure how to do that in magisk.
ive gone into the 2nd menu button at the bottom of magisk what looks like shield.
permission ruler had the greybar turned off here. i turned it on, restarted the phone and now it has root access

so it seems to be working.
thanks

ive gone into the 2nd menu button at the bottom of magisk what looks like shield.
permission ruler had the greybar turned off here. i turned it on, restarted the phone and now it has root access

thanks
That grey bar means root permissions are denied for that app.
If no bar was present for Permission Ruler, that would mean the app will ask for root.
Turning it on will grant root to that app.
It seems for some reason root was simply denied for the app.

Glad it's working for you. Hope you find it good :)

CarvedArt

Aug 4, 2013
@sianos I seem to have an issue on A11 where when I add a music app to the Allowlist it still kills the permissions once the screen is turned off (as soon as the buffer empties). If I pause Permission Ruler the music continues to play. I haven't really tested whether anything other than music apps work when allowed. (Poweramp, Spotify, Pandora) Any guesses for me?

rodken

Jan 11, 2010
@sianos I seem to have an issue on A11 where when I add a music app to the Allowlist it still kills the permissions once the screen is turned off (as soon as the buffer empties). If I pause Permission Ruler the music continues to play. I haven't really tested whether anything other than music apps work when allowed. (Poweramp, Spotify, Pandora) Any guesses for me?
Maybe, systemize which ever music app that you are using to see if the results repeat.

Sorry for the late answer...
It shouldn't happen. The only thing I can think about is the music app depends on another app (like google play services or something else) which get its permissions removed, blocking the music app.
Can you try to enable Permission Ruler only on a few apps and allow everything else? Then slowly add all other apps until you find the guilty app.

Thanks for the feedback,
Stefano

Ozakong

Jul 27, 2012
I want to remove the permission `MANAGE_DEBUGGING` from System Settings app, or from --user 0, Will the donated version will do it? because when I'm typing `pm revoke --user 0 com.android.settings android.permission.MANAGE_DEBUGGING` I got the message: `is not a changeable permission type`. If this app won't help, is there a way to revoke this permission somehow from Settings or from user 0?

I want to remove the permission `MANAGE_DEBUGGING` from System Settings app, or from --user 0, Will the donated version will do it? because when I'm typing `pm revoke --user 0 com.android.settings android.permission.MANAGE_DEBUGGING` I got the message: `is not a changeable permission type`. If this app won't help, is there a way to revoke this permission somehow from Settings or from user 0?
I'm not sure why you'd want to do this, since it would break adb and usb debug, from what I understood.
However, there are things that simply cannot be done, even if you have root permission, and changing this MANAGE_DEBUGGING permission is one of them.
The only way would be to create a custom rom allowing changing this permission.
You may also try with xposed, but I'm not sure you'll find anything there

• Sad
Reactions: Ozakong
Neither.
You can check at https://developer.android.com/reference/android/Manifest.permission for permissions with protection level "dangerous". These are the permissions managed by Permission Ruler, with the only expection of SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW, and are the ones you're asked to grant.
"normal" permissions are granted automatically, while "signature" is granted to system apps and "privileged" to privileged apps.
You can try to run pm grant/revoke commands on other permissions, but if you receive the error "is not a changeable permission type" it means it cannot be changed in any way (unless custom roms or maybe xposed)

LotusMidnight

Oct 28, 2021
Google Pixel 4 XL
I'm haven't an issue with the app, when viewing "Apps" within permission ruler it says "Allowlist (10)" yet it only displays 2 apps (magisk and adaway) why is it saying 10 if only these 2 are visible? Is this an indication something is wrong?

I'm haven't an issue with the app, when viewing "Apps" within permission ruler it says "Allowlist (10)" yet it only displays 2 apps (magisk and adaway) why is it saying 10 if only these 2 are visible? Is this an indication something is wrong?
mmm... that's weird
So you see 2 apps after clicking on "Allowlist"?
Or you see 2 apps and on the top there is "Managed Apps (2)" and "Allowlist (10)"?

LotusMidnight

Oct 28, 2021
Google Pixel 4 XL
I see 2 apps within the allow list tab and at the top it says "allowlist 10" but I only see 2 apps

Update: I've installed new apps since then, The allowlist now says "Allowlist 16" but only shows 5 apps, do I have a virus or something?

I see 2 apps within the allow list tab and at the top it says "allowlist 10" but I only see 2 apps

Update: I've installed new apps since then, The allowlist now says "Allowlist 16" but only shows 5 apps, do I have a virus or something?
No, i don't think so.
More probably is a bug in the allowlist count...
If you check the "0" between the managed apps and allowlist (to hide the apps without any dangerous permissions required), is the updated number correct?
I'll check the count anyway, probably something screwed there

LotusMidnight

Oct 28, 2021
Google Pixel 4 XL
No, i don't think so.
More probably is a bug in the allowlist count...
If you check the "0" between the managed apps and allowlist (to hide the apps without any dangerous permissions required), is the updated number correct?
I'll check the count anyway, probably something screwed there
After clicking the 0 the number is correct, though it does end up hiding all root access apps as well

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Never have to worry again about your privacy, with Permission Ruler!

Prerequisites:
    If your device is rooted, you can use this app directly.
    If your device runs LineageOs or derived ROMs (such as ResurrectionRemix) you can use this app without root.
    Otherwise you can use this app just to see app permissions and manage them manually, through system settings.

Regain your privacy, rule your permissions!
    Do you want to stop your apps using dangerous permissions when the screen is off? Did you ever asked yourself if an app can spy on you through your microphone when the device lays on your table? (the answer should be no: apps shouldnìt be able to spy on you that easily, but they can access your files, or get your location, etc.)

Then you want Permission Ruler!

Every time you turn off the screen, Permission Ruler will automatically revoke all permissions from all your apps for you, so you don't have to worry about your privacy or wasting your battery.

Permission Ruler will give you:
    • Increased privacy (when the screen is off no app can do dangerous things)
    • Increased battery life (since the apps can't do whatever they want, they will run less time, consuming less battery life)
    • Simple usage: click on the only button in the main page when you install it, and forget it
    • Lock permissions, revoking but not granting them back automatically
    • Ignore specific apps
    • Manually manage permissions through the app (will send to system settings)
    • Don't grant permissions back automatically to apps not used recently

Special features (donate version)
    • Ignore specific permissions of specific apps
    • Lock specific apps/permissions
    • Manage system apps
    • Speed up Permission Ruler and use even less battery

Who can use it?
    Anyone can use the app, but there are some limits.
    To allows the app to automatically grant and revoke permissions you need Root permissions. An experimental support has been developed for custom ROMs derived from LineageOs (such as ResurrectionRemix).

How does it work?
    When you turn off your screen, Permission Ruler will revoke all permissions from all apps (unless they are ignored). When you turn on the screen, it will grant all permissions back (unless they are locked).

Why should I use it?
    Usually a phone lays for more than 70% time with the screen off. This means that if you grant a permission to an app to use a feature, that app will get that permission forever, even if you use that feature for less than 30% of the time.
    Also, It's highly probable you granted permissions to an app you use a few times a year (like traveling/hotel booking apps, etc.). By default Permission Ruler will not grant permissions back to apps not used recently.

Warning:
    Pause the app before uninstalling or deleting its data, so it will grant permissions back to all apps needed.

Download links:
    Permission Ruler Normal Version
    Permission Ruler Donate Version

XDA:DevDB Information
    Permission Ruler, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    sianos

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.2.09
    Stable Release Date: 2019-05-02

Created 2019-05-07
    Last Updated 2019-05-07

thanks
    That grey bar means root permissions are denied for that app.
    If no bar was present for Permission Ruler, that would mean the app will ask for root.
    Turning it on will grant root to that app.
    It seems for some reason root was simply denied for the app.

Glad it's working for you. Hope you find it good :)
    Just seen this thread, very important app imo, strange that its not popular on xda.
    Keep up the good work I will report bugs if found any :cowboy:

Me too
    I browse this forum at least a few times a week. First time i see it. Thinking about it seems like an excellent idea. I will try it and report any bugs.

Keep up the good work
    Cheers
    Neither.
    You can check at https://developer.android.com/reference/android/Manifest.permission for permissions with protection level "dangerous". These are the permissions managed by Permission Ruler, with the only expection of SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW, and are the ones you're asked to grant.
    "normal" permissions are granted automatically, while "signature" is granted to system apps and "privileged" to privileged apps.
    You can try to run pm grant/revoke commands on other permissions, but if you receive the error "is not a changeable permission type" it means it cannot be changed in any way (unless custom roms or maybe xposed)
    I'm still a bit confused. If allowlist means the apps will not be restricted, why then does it have a number of allowed permission beneath each app? For example Facebook Messenger is under allowed list but it has "0/9 Permissions". Shouldn't it be 9/9? It may be because I haven't used the features in the app which require me to grant them e.g. never used the microphone

Also I'm confused by the legends. Why would something in the allowlist have a green check mark beside it? Isn't that a contradiction as allow means it's not managed and the check mark means it is?
    The number of allowed permissions in allowlist shows the permissions the app currently have (e.g. Messenger ask microphone permission to record voice notes). Permission Ruler will not change them automatically, but you can choose to grant or revoke them manually.

Regarding the check, yes you are right. It shouldn't appear in the allowlist. Will release a fix soon