• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Personal Note to Andy Android...

Search This thread

DROIDESP

Sep 21, 2010
San Diego
Exactly. Some are cancelling because they didn't get the FedEx tracking today. LOL!

I have the Sony XA that uses the same sensor as the PH-1 so the photo quality to me is good enough for quick shots. Having the monochrome to improve the photo is a bonus. For anything else, I use my pocketable Sony RX-100 M4 anyway or DSLR for more serious photography.

I have this exact same setup:

Pocket: PH-1
Backpack side pocket: RX-100 M4
Camera bag for events I know I'll need it: Ever trusty DSLR

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I hope they release an awesome update for the camera. On day 16.
    Sir - you have 15 days from the date of receipt of my phone (business days) to make that much-touted camera work like it should. Otherwise, I, like the rest of my early-adopter brethren, will be RMA'ing these phones in record numbers. You have been warned.
    Meh, camera isn't a deal breaker for me and I imagine it's the same for some others.

Sent from my Mi Note 2 using Tapatalk
    Sir - you have 15 days from the date of receipt of my phone (business days) to make that much-touted camera work like it should. Otherwise, I, like the rest of my early-adopter brethren, will be RMA'ing these phones in record numbers. You have been warned.

UPDATE: I have asked for and received an RMA box (headed my way). The only reason wasn't the camera, but it was the major one. The B&W camera alone is pretty awesome. If I felt I could trust Essential to make fixing the camera a top priority, I'd probably keep it and wait, but after careful consideration, I can always get 100% of my dough back now, and if I see they have made the camera function to the flagship level, I will re-buy at a later time. I want to love it just like everyone else... but $749 out of pocket sitting in a box waiting... not my style.
    It's called a personal note for a reason - I wouldn't choose to speak for you if you paid me. Maybe you can get one of those cameraless flip phones sounds like that's more your speed.
    I am an early adopter and you literally said we will all be RMA'ing this phone if there isnt a camera fix in 15 days. That is in fact speaking for more than just yourself.
    I can't believe people make their phone purchase decisions solely on camera performance and shipping time. It's a daily use device that you'll own for at least a year. You should look at the bigger picture. Case in point is the phone camera. Its not like people are post-processing RAW images at home. They just want a colorful, saturated image that "pops".

I passed on the phone specifically for this reason. I have a great camera on my Pixel. But we recently had a baby and there's no way I'm getting a kinda crappy camera on my phone while she's growing up. Sure, a good DSLR will outperform even my Pixel but as the old photographer's saying goes, "The best camera is the one you have on you." And that means my phone the far majority of the time.

Before our little one, I didn't care at all about camera quality. But now it's incredibly important, if not one of the most important things.

I'm not trying to change your mind or convince you of anything. Just giving you some perspective on why some, or at least I, will be passing on this phone. I can either get another great phone with a great camera (or keep my Pixel) so I can photograph more precious moments with my daughter, or I can get a phone with a mediocre camera and miss some of those precious moments. That's worth passing on this phone to me. None of the other issues with this phone are a problem for me, but the camera is a deal breaker.