[PETITION] Android Nougat Update for Osprey and Merlin

Search This thread

dchatterjee172

Sep 24, 2014
kolkata
I read that statement and it seems pretty dramatic to me... I don't think "Google" cares one way or the other... SafetyNet is a tool to verify device integrity for app developers. "Google" and the Play Store don't care if your device is the way the manufacturers made or different, but app developers do for either security, integrity, or safety reasons, at least in theory. Google doesn't set the restrictions apps require, it's just the investigation and enforcement tool for developers.

Don't like the fact you can't play Pokemon Go when in a custom ROM? Talk to Niantic, not Google.
You can't even use "Google" Pay...
And the thing is that if I install a custom rom which is not rooted then also it will not work.

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

And the sarcastic part is that when a company takes the Android source code...puts a skin on it...then it passes safety net...but if we use a custom rom like AOSP then it's integrity is lost...strange!!

acejavelin

Recognized Contributor
Sep 3, 2009
Lincoln, ND
Google Pixel 5a
You can't even use "Google" Pay...
And the thing is that if I install a custom rom which is not rooted then also it will not work.

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

And the sarcastic part is that when a company takes the Android source code...puts a skin on it...then it passes safety net...but if we use a custom rom like AOSP then it's integrity is lost...strange!!
Yeah, Google Wallet/Pay uses SafetyNet... but I would bet Google itself doesn't care, but the it's "partners" do for security sake, and I can't say I disagree, having a custom ROM installed on your device is an incredible security risk. Not the the ROM itself actually, but what you have to do to get it... unlock the bootloader, install custom recovery, etc. For the most part, you can have a 12 character password or am 8 point pattern lock and it won't matter, a hacker with physical control of your device can just jump into TWRP and pull any file they want (not talking about encryption here, it is enforced in custom ROM's and most users don't bother).

The "integrity" is basically a check to see if the device is as the manufacturer intended it to be, if not, it means you modified it and the check fails... but I see the irony.

Reactions: dchatterjee172

dchatterjee172

Sep 24, 2014
kolkata
Yeah, Google Wallet/Pay uses SafetyNet... but I would bet Google itself doesn't care, but the it's "partners" do for security sake, and I can't say I disagree, having a custom ROM installed on your device is an incredible security risk. Not the the ROM itself actually, but what you have to do to get it... unlock the bootloader, install custom recovery, etc. For the most part, you can have a 12 character password or am 8 point pattern lock and it won't matter, a hacker with physical control of your device can just jump into TWRP and pull any file they want (not talking about encryption here, it is enforced in custom ROM's and most users don't bother).

The "integrity" is basically a check to see if the device is as the manufacturer intended it to be, if not, it means you modified it and the check fails... but I see the irony.
Got your point too....but the thing is that our laptops also have a bios menu if i can get physical control of your laptop, i can just bootup a live linux and steal our file, provided it is not a encrypted drive.
If we can put a password in bootloader system(like bios password), and encrypt custom rom devices, i really don't see the point of safetynet . moreover all the source code of custom rom are opensource which is a big advantage.

acejavelin

Recognized Contributor
Sep 3, 2009
Lincoln, ND
Google Pixel 5a
Got your point too....but the thing is that our laptops also have a bios menu if i can get physical control of your laptop, i can just bootup a live linux and steal our file, provided it is not a encrypted drive.
If we can put a password in bootloader system(like bios password), and encrypt custom rom devices, i really don't see the point of safetynet . moreover all the source code of custom rom are opensource which is a big advantage.
I know... and I am more playing Devil's Advocate here than anything... and we are drifting way off topic now so I will finish up and not reply again.

The laptop thing you mention, most people don't do that, they don't even they can or should do that... those would be most commonly seen in a corporate environment where security policies are in place. Same holds for the average smartphone user, they don't know/care about encryption, but devices that fall under a MDM are (can be) forced to have encryption, or be locked/stock, etc. as well.

I don't entirely disagree with what you are saying, but I see the other side as well since I work in a corporate environment with networks and security.

Reactions: IronTechmonkey

kawaii.beans

Jan 30, 2017
Kolkata
Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G
Guess I don't recall seeing any official Moto notification of any device getting Android "O" yet... if you are referring to this post or information at https://motog5.net/motorola-android-8-0-oreo-update then you are mistaken, that information has been confirmed by Moto representitives as purely false.

From Motorola's history, they will not announce anything officially about Android O until it is officially released to the public, which we think is still a month or two away, maybe even longer.
Don't you forget while releasing Moto m they accidentally told that this phone will have support till android o back in 2016

dchatterjee172

Sep 24, 2014
kolkata
I also think the same...they could have upgraded this phone to Nougat at least...but they won't... they are not even releasing the 6.0.1 kernel

dchatterjee172

Sep 24, 2014
kolkata
And at least for moto g turbo, they don't and any excuse for not upgrading it.
They just want us to buy a new device. That's all. Just like hardware specification of a phone, android version is also important now.
And i don't think Project Treble will resolve this fragmentation problem. Project Treble will only be implemented in a device if an OEM wants to.
So the picture is pretty much clear.

xMotoDA

May 16, 2016
And at least for moto g turbo, they don't and any excuse for not upgrading it.
They just want us to buy a new device. That's all. Just like hardware specification of a phone, android version is also important now.
And i don't think Project Treble will resolve this fragmentation problem. Project Treble will only be implemented in a device if an OEM wants to.
So the picture is pretty much clear.

Isn't it mandatory for Oreo devices? Anyways, OEMs will probably just release them with Nougat and then update them so they're not required to implement it and count it as one major upgrade even though Oreo is already out.

Subinsmani

Nov 18, 2016
Delhi, Trivandrum
Just as I had said earlier, they promised Android O to G4 series, and now they say they wouldn't provide an update.
Atleast they didn't make any such promise with the G5 series...

Click here to see previous confirmation from Motorola
actually they previous year they release two list regards OTA..
one is the list of 4th gen device...
after some time they release 2nd list which includes 3rd gen devices..
so may be they will release 2nd list which includes some 4th gen device.
so wait for that.. :)

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please discuss, post support and spread news about this petition: https://www.change.org/p/motorola-please-include-moto-g-3rd-gen-for-android-nougat-update

Motorola, please include Moto G (3rd Gen) for Android Nougat Update
    On 4th October 2016 you announced on your official blog which handsets would be getting the Android 7.0 (Nougat) update.

Absent from the list was the Moto G 3rd Gen (Osprey) and Moto G Turbo Edition (Merlin) - making them historically the first Moto G phones to receive only one major Android update. Both Moto G 1st Gen (Falcon) and 2nd Gen (Titan) where given two Android updates - KitKat and Lollipop in the case of 'Falcon,' and Lollipop and Marshmallow for 'Titan.'

The abandoning of support for both 'Osprey' after 8 months (Android 6.0.1 was released in March 2016) and 'Merlin' after only 3 months shows that the Moto brand now will no longer respect the previous practise of providing ‘18 months of update support.’

Included on the current official Nougat update device list is the Moto G Play (4th Gen) - a handset with weaker specifications than both 'Osprey' and 'Merlin.'

The issue is not technical limitation. You appear to have simply decided your last generation Moto G handsets are no longer important.

The Moto G Play uses the exact same chipset and GPU as 'Osprey,' but runs at a lower CPU clock-speed. This profound hardware similarity suggests that in the process of making the update for Moto G Play; much of the work needed to produce a Nougat update for 'Osprey' would be completed.

Moto X Play (also on the Nougat update list) uses the exact same chipset and GPU as Moto G Turbo Edition - making both devices Vulkan compatible.

Moto G is a mid-range device, but your update support for it shrinks with each year. Why should people have confidence in your products when you so casually drop support for your best-selling phone?
    Articles (1, 2) were written about Motorola / Lenovo over a year ago trying to resolve this situation. Things in no way improved, with continued job layoffs and device support has been dropped even more quickly.

This is the first major petition (aimed at Motorola) on the subject of long-term update support. Maybe seeing 12,000 signatures will result in a policy rethink; perhaps now they can understand that they really have frustrated a lot of people and put them off their products.

The petition also clearly shows the world how Motorola / Lenovo are behaving and that support for Osprey and Merlin was dropped solely to boost sales of the 4th Gen handsets. By ignoring this petition they are only causing further damage to their reputation.
    17,500 signatures milestone has been reached and passed.
    Reminder:

This petition is about bringing attention to the fact that Motorola Mobility / Lenovo quietly changed their upgrade policy regarding the Moto G. Anyone who bought a Moto G (3rd Gen) - especially the 2GB RAM version or Turbo Edition - did so with the expectation that those handsets would get two major Android updates: Android Marshmallow and Nougat. They are also lying to customers by saying the hardware cannot support 'Nougat.'
    Geeky Ranjit's 2016 OEM Review. Paraphrasing: Motorola launched so many phones I can't remember them all, software updates have slowed down and security fixes have stopped. Motorola's response? We make too many devices.