• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Petition: Give Android 11 for Note9!

Search This thread

koragg97

Aug 16, 2013
Sofia
www.classicracing.cba.pl
Samsung said that all flagships after and including the S10 will get 3 years of Android OS updates. It's a bit unfair for us Note9 and S9 users so I created a petition to Samsung asking them to reconsider adding the S9, S9+ and Note9 to the 3 year major updates support program as well. Here's the link: https://www.change.org/p/samsung-give-android-11-oneui-3-0-to-galaxy-note9-s9-phones
The more people that sign it the better chance we have of Samsung acknowledging it!

Reactions: makko1

KingVekxin

Sep 12, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA
Samsung said that all flagships after and including the S10 will get 3 years of Android OS updates. It's a bit unfair for us Note9 and S9 users so I created a petition to Samsung asking them to reconsider adding the S9, S9+ and Note9 to the 3 year major updates support program as well. Here's the link: https://www.change.org/p/samsung-give-android-11-oneui-3-0-to-galaxy-note9-s9-phones
The more people that sign it the better chance we have of Samsung acknowledging it!

The petition won't do anything. I truly hate being that person but there's no way in this world or the next that a petition on xda will make Samsung ad an older device to their new statement. It's not smart for their business, gives them no real benefits or anything. You gotta realize they aren't thinking of the handful of us who still hold onto the 9 series of phones whether it be S or Note... Their business is to sell new electronics not to keep old ones on life support that they keep recharging every so often.

Reactions: TankedThomas

koragg97

Aug 16, 2013
Sofia
www.classicracing.cba.pl
The petition won't do anything. I truly hate being that person but there's no way in this world or the next that a petition on xda will make Samsung ad an older device to their new statement. It's not smart for their business, gives them no real benefits or anything. You gotta realize they aren't thinking of the handful of us who still hold onto the 9 series of phones whether it be S or Note... Their business is to sell new electronics not to keep old ones on life support that they keep recharging every so often.

Don't worry, I know we 99.9% won't get it. Just decided to explore how this works and made it as another xda user requested it. I'm ok with 2.5 as I just want wireless DeX - other stuff is a bonus that's in 2.5.

JOSHSKORN

Oct 14, 2013
I feel like a petition might work for an iPhone, because, well, you either have an iPhone or a thousand variants of an Android phone. Having one of two out of those thousand variants doesn't amass to a whole lot of people, certainly not enough for Samsung to actually do something about it. Good luck, though. I did sign it. But again, it's more than likely a lost cause. The three year deal didn't start until AFTER the Note9.

oddbehreif

Sep 28, 2012
Turku
Feels like we need to have this same conversation once every smartphone generation. Recap:

Breathing life into old electronics is not good business. Samsung is a business, they're in it for the money. Introducing new features for old phones will not sell new hardware; if anything, it will cause Samsung to sell less new hardware. Less sales means less revenue. That's why it's bad for business.

Developing software for additional platforms consumes more resources; resources which could be used for advancing development of newer hardware, and better software for said newer hardware. Again, why waste resources into something that will cause you to sell fewer next-gen phones?

Let me reiterate. Samsung is a business. They will not make poor business decisions to benefit users who hang on to old hardware instead of buying new hardware. End of story.

koragg97

Aug 16, 2013
Sofia
www.classicracing.cba.pl
@oddbehreif As I said before I don't have much hope but seeing how the S10s got 3 years support and the Note10 Lite is THE SAME PHONE as the Note9 and will get Android 11 I decided to make this. I'll be perfectly happy with OneUI 2.5 as I'll get wireless DeX then but it's fun to see how change.org works and to spam the link on every Samsung or smartphone tech video and watch the numbers rise. :)

paul_59

Feb 6, 2011
Android 11 is not possible!

Android 11 may be unlikely to be provided to Note 9 by Samsung, I am not sure your statement that it's not possible (technically ?) is correct.

I may have misunderstood the context of your post.

My understanding is Samsung have indicated it will be providing Android 11 to all Note 10 / S10 and later, I believe one of these included phones has essentially the same hardware so obviously possible.

Finally I believe Note 9 is project Treble compatible / compliant so this would indicate it's technically possible and not as difficult as pre -Treble phones to be provided future Android updates

manne48

Sep 8, 2011
Bielefeld
Android 11 may be unlikely to be provided to Note 9 by Samsung, I am not sure your statement that it's not possible (technically ?) is correct.

I wish that our N9 became the Android11 version;imagine,with a new battery and an aktual system we can use this rely good,amazing phone for more then 2-3 years.I`m using this phone now for 1.5 years;at first with Android 8 than 9 and now 10.It should be possible to get 11!!

I dont wanna spark any hope in sight, but, either this is typical Samsung negligence from their side, or they mistakenly took this upon.

They have an app called GPU Watch, which is pretty much a FPS Real Time counter for people who game.

If you head in their app's website, there's a table showing support for the app's version and SDK. Weirdly, Note9/S9 are on the Android R list as well.

Here's a screenshot:

gpuwatch.png

How does one make sense of this?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.