Petition Sony for a Stock-Android/Google Play Edition like ROM

Search This thread

CommanderROR

May 4, 2008
Hi everyone,

This is almost certainly a waste of time and effort, but I started a Petition at Change.org with the aim of getting Sony to offer an "alternative" ROM for their Z lineup.

This is the link:

https://www.change.org/p/sony-mobil...ence-and-fast-updates-for-the-xperia-z-lineup

What this is about? I really like the hardware on the new Sony devices, but I'm spoiled by my Nexus/Google Play Edition devices when it comes to Software and Update policies. Since the Nexus 6 is out of the question and there are currently no interesting GPE devices on the market, I thought this is better than not trying at all.
Basically, my idea is, that Sony could offer their users a choice: Go with the regular, Skinned ROM and be happy with it, or download the "alternative" factory images, that convert the device into a Nexus-Like Stock-Android device. That way, there is no need to market and sell two different versions of a device, and users can choose what they prefer. This would also be a "benchmark" for Sony, to see how many people are actually interested in Stock-Android-ROMs.

HTC does this, albeit unofficially, by offering GPE versions of their flagship devices that are exactly identical in hardware. It is possible to simply flash a Sense-Laden m7 or m8 and convert it into a fully working and compatible GPE version. Samsung makes it a bit more difficult by messing around with the GPE hardware in some way that makes a custom Kernel neccessary and prevents a full conversion. It took the devs quite some effort to fix the resulting Random Reboots on the S4...:eek:

So, if you like the idea, and want to attempt to generate some attention, I'd be grateful if you'd sign the petition and invite your friends to do the same. If not, then thanks for reading this and have a nice afterlife... ;)

Reactions: titijuli

iBuzman

Mar 7, 2011
Melbourne
Love your enthusiasm but... No manufacturer offers alternative roms to flash - GPe is only ever an alternative device ~ and I presume you have never "converted" an M8 over to GPe (not for feint of heart, partition changes required prior to flashing any zip, much the same as Xperia Z Ultra GPe).

I think you'll find we are already spoilt more by Sony than any other manufacturer when it comes to offering AOSP and the various git offerings made available to us..

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CommanderROR

May 4, 2008
Hi there,
I am aware that nobody does this yet... But maybe it is an idea for the future. About the HTC GPE... You are right, but I'm currently using a "coverted" Galaxy S4, which is also not trivial, but entirely manageable... I'm already wondering what new quirks Samsung will invent to make flashing GPE Lollipop harder on the TW Galaxy S4 i9505... ?

skiwong20

Nov 29, 2011
Isn't CM working with Sony Devices or something ?

However, i think it's fine the way it is The Rom currently is appealing to the eye and pacey

no CM isnt working with them..Sony hired a maintainer/coder that was part of CM for Sony devices. he worked on other projects as well. Thank Jerplea. he is the community member that Sony hired nd he is helping offer source to help build aosp for Sony devices. Sony does a good job offering help to the dev community by giving tips,guides and source on ther developer website

Sent from my Xperia Tablet Z Wi-Fi using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone,

This is almost certainly a waste of time and effort, but I started a Petition at Change.org with the aim of getting Sony to offer an "alternative" ROM for their Z lineup.

This is the link:

https://www.change.org/p/sony-mobil...ence-and-fast-updates-for-the-xperia-z-lineup

What this is about? I really like the hardware on the new Sony devices, but I'm spoiled by my Nexus/Google Play Edition devices when it comes to Software and Update policies. Since the Nexus 6 is out of the question and there are currently no interesting GPE devices on the market, I thought this is better than not trying at all.
    Basically, my idea is, that Sony could offer their users a choice: Go with the regular, Skinned ROM and be happy with it, or download the "alternative" factory images, that convert the device into a Nexus-Like Stock-Android device. That way, there is no need to market and sell two different versions of a device, and users can choose what they prefer. This would also be a "benchmark" for Sony, to see how many people are actually interested in Stock-Android-ROMs.

HTC does this, albeit unofficially, by offering GPE versions of their flagship devices that are exactly identical in hardware. It is possible to simply flash a Sense-Laden m7 or m8 and convert it into a fully working and compatible GPE version. Samsung makes it a bit more difficult by messing around with the GPE hardware in some way that makes a custom Kernel neccessary and prevents a full conversion. It took the devs quite some effort to fix the resulting Random Reboots on the S4...:eek:

So, if you like the idea, and want to attempt to generate some attention, I'd be grateful if you'd sign the petition and invite your friends to do the same. If not, then thanks for reading this and have a nice afterlife... ;)
    I think we should first focus on trying to get root on lb and go from there.

Sent from my Xperia Z3