• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

ph-2 ?

Search This thread

nascar48

Jan 23, 2011
It looks cool and unique but I don't get it? Like why would I want to give up screen real estate from left to right and still have the same height? This is going to be a failure of a product for the simple reason it doesn't solve any size issues and has a smaller screen real estate.

However that ui looks promising. Essential should work on a foldable phone that turns into a watch. Just think if you could take the screen they have in those photos, wrap it around your wrist as a watch, and unfold it into a phone that looks like the photos they have...

I think there will be a day where you store your phone on your wrist not your pocket when it's not in use. The technology is almost caught up to implement that and whoever does it first correctly will be the next iPhone or Razr.

Last edited:

kboya

Apr 25, 2010
The PH1 form factor is possibly the closest to perfect in recent years, IMO. Sure, there could be small improvements, but the screen height and width make it a very 'pocketable' handset--not too tall, like the Pixel2/3XL and a slew of other with only marginally more screen estate.
The PH2? It looks wrong, but perhaps isn't as tall as it seems. The main issue will be how the interface works and I can't quite conceptualise how it will manage to do a whole host of things i use on my phone, not least of which is simply reading print news media--3 words a line is likely to become irritating

Last edited:
Reactions: kt-Froggy

kt-Froggy

Sep 14, 2012
YVR
Essential Phone
Samsung Galaxy S10e
The PH1 form factor is possibly the closest to perfect in recent years, IMO. Sure, there could be small improvements, but the screen height and width make it a very 'pocketable' handset]
Exactly! I absolutely love the PH-1 form-factor. I am not a fan of big phones, and always look for something with a reasonably small screen, but a good resolution. I am also not obsessed with bezels, and the bottom chin actually makes it more convenient for me to handle.

claylong

Oct 28, 2011
Been needing to say this since speculation of another Essential phone started (year+ ago?):

Even if a second phone comes out, why on Earth would they call it PH-2?!

Don't people see, PH-1 ... PH-one ... PHone ... Phone.

A PH-2 would ruin the joke.

Reactions: kt-Froggy

kt-Froggy

Sep 14, 2012
YVR
Essential Phone
Samsung Galaxy S10e
Been needing to say this since speculation of another Essential phone started (year+ ago?):

Yes, but since we have no idea how this device would actually be called (IF it materializes at all), people just use that as a "placeholder" for the name.... :)

nascar48

Jan 23, 2011
Yeah, fair enough!

I'm reminded of those that shorten Xbox One to xbone. I still read that as X-bone.

There is a rumor that was semi intentional and I kind of believe it.

I mean YouTube channels are already pointing out Series X: Sex.

The Xbox brand is one of the worst naming schemes of all time. If you search "Xbox" online you might get a Xbox (original), 360, one, or soon the new "Xbox".

Good luck selling that to kids when the average parent won't know the difference between any of them.

The Xbox brand is what they should use in marketing courses as what NOT to do.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We've been working on a new device to reframe your perspective on mobile. It's now in early testing with our team outside the lab. Look forward to sharing more in the near future! #ProjectGEM pic.twitter.com/BnVy7yM2Kj

https://twitter.com/essential/status/1181734328130252802
    The PH1 form factor is possibly the closest to perfect in recent years, IMO. Sure, there could be small improvements, but the screen height and width make it a very 'pocketable' handset--not too tall, like the Pixel2/3XL and a slew of other with only marginally more screen estate.
    The PH2? It looks wrong, but perhaps isn't as tall as it seems. The main issue will be how the interface works and I can't quite conceptualise how it will manage to do a whole host of things i use on my phone, not least of which is simply reading print news media--3 words a line is likely to become irritating
    Seems pretty cool! If you only stick to what's worked before, you'll probably end up with what you already had.

especially if it's foldable as I suspect ?

Yes, but since we have no idea how this device would actually be called (IF it materializes at all), people just use that as a "placeholder" for the name.... :)

Yeah, fair enough!

I'm reminded of those that shorten Xbox One to xbone. I still read that as X-bone.