Phone boots to TWRP recovery only.

Search This thread

ursusca

Jun 9, 2013
Toronto
Hi,

My phone boots to TWRP recovery only. I can boot into TWRP recovery, flush any ROM and set it up but after reboot my phone is not coming up.
It boots to the Samsung logo with BLACKSTAR BLACKJELLY ROM or to the AOKP logo with [ROM][4.3.1]*10/24 update* AOKP for SGH-I717 [The Family/AllianceROM]

Any help?

Reactions: captemo

hotgly

Dec 6, 2011
Hi,

My phone boots to TWRP recovery only. I can boot into TWRP recovery, flush any ROM and set it up but after reboot my phone is not coming up.
It boots to the Samsung logo with BLACKSTAR BLACKJELLY ROM or to the AOKP logo with [ROM][4.3.1]*10/24 update* AOKP for SGH-I717 [The Family/AllianceROM]

Any help?

I got similar problem with beanstalk 4.3.
CWM and TWRP were tried to make backups, and every time of rebooting need a fully wipe and restore.
Even when a rom failed to boot, backup, factory reset and restore will make it bootable once.
Any idea?

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

Not knowing the reason, but I tried to the oldest TWRP I can found (2.2) and it worked well.
First restore with 2.6 then flash 2.2, and after another cycle of backup and restoring, without booting up yet, boot up at last and it works seamlessly with rebooting. Don't know if I can flash back to 2.6 but no need to bother again. 2.2 is just as good, for me.
Hope it help.

ursusca

Jun 9, 2013
Toronto
CWM and TWRP were tried to make backups, and every time of rebooting need a fully wipe and restore.
Even when a rom failed to boot, backup, factory reset and restore will make it bootable once.
Any idea?

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

Not knowing the reason, but I tried to the oldest TWRP I can found (2.2) and it worked well.
First restore with 2.6 then flash 2.2, and after another cycle of backup and restoring, without booting up yet, boot up at last and it works seamlessly with rebooting. Don't know if I can flash back to 2.6 but no need to bother again. 2.2 is just as good, for me.
Hope it help.

Thank You, Man!!! It helped :) I've just downloaded the 2.2 viersion from here http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/sgh-i717, flashed it and reinstalled BLACKSTAR

Ziggidy

Mar 27, 2014
Chicago
Thank you!! I have been having this same issue, and couldn't figure it out for the past few days. AT&T Samsung SGH-i717.

I started with TWRP 2.6.3.0 and using ROM BeanStalk-4.3.1009-20131015-quincyatt.zip (from thread [Rom][JellyBean][4.2/4.3][4.4 Apha Preview][PAC kernel]).

I used ODIN3.07 to get TWRP 2.6.3.0 set up, then did backups, wiped, and installed 4.3. It would run FLAWLESSLY, until it was powered down, or rebooted, at which point I would get the initial Samsung pop, then black screen. This was happening with 4.3 as well as the backup from stock 4.1.2 (I think).

TWRP files:
http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/sgh-i717

Started with:
openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-quincyatt.img.tar

Downgraded to:
openrecovery-twrp-2.2-sgh-i717-signed.zip

In case anyone is confused, as I was initially..... here is what I did to get it to work....
1. From TWRP 2.6.3.0, wipe & restore backup of 4.3, then shut down.
2. Boot to TWRP, install openrecovery-twrp-2.2-sgh-i717-signed.zip from within TWP, shut down again.
3. Boot to TWRP again, should be at 2.2 now, do a backup of current install.
4. DO NOT REBOOT OR POWER DOWN
5. Restore the back up you JUST MADE
6. Reboot

So far so good, over a dozen test reboots and power offs, no issues yet.

captemo

Jan 13, 2012
Kentucky
3 new members, helping each other, help themselves.

this is great, some folks who are not afraid to read and the confidence to experiment.

good job to all 3 of you and an official thanks to each by using the thanks button at the bottom left of each post of that person

welcome to all

nimesh.batra93

May 19, 2016
Nagpur
Hi,

Any help?

okay so this is a very old post but i guess i found a working solution for this!
i have Galaxy A7 (SM-A700FD) 5.0.2
in basic terms:
-u need to remove TWRP recovery from your phone totally.
-i Flashed stock android recovery (well i got it by experimenting, as i rooted my phone again by ODIN it replaced the TWRP recovery with android recovery(turn off Auto-Reboot))
-you will be stuck in boot loop mode (stuck with the logo- good news is you are out of TWRP recovery boot loop)
-you have to get to boot loader anyhow (either by adb commands or vol down, home, Power key pressed all together)
-Flash TWRP recovery again using ODIN (turn of Auto-Reboot)
-hold the power key which will try to restart the phone.
-still it is boot loop mode.
-enter Boot loader (pressing Power key, Volume down, home- all three keys together or by adb commands)
-enter TWRP recovery (pressing Power key, Volume up, Home key- all three keys together or by adb commands)
-Restore your backup
-and you are good to go :)

Calumet27

Apr 3, 2020
Any idea?

Hope it help.

Thank you very much for this tip! :laugh: Simply went to the official twrp .me site, chose the first img, and flashed it in the way described there. Phone booted fully now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Any help?

Any idea?

Hope it help.
    Thank you!! I have been having this same issue, and couldn't figure it out for the past few days. AT&T Samsung SGH-i717.

I started with TWRP 2.6.3.0 and using ROM BeanStalk-4.3.1009-20131015-quincyatt.zip (from thread [Rom][JellyBean][4.2/4.3][4.4 Apha Preview][PAC kernel]).

I used ODIN3.07 to get TWRP 2.6.3.0 set up, then did backups, wiped, and installed 4.3. It would run FLAWLESSLY, until it was powered down, or rebooted, at which point I would get the initial Samsung pop, then black screen. This was happening with 4.3 as well as the backup from stock 4.1.2 (I think).

TWRP files:
    http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/sgh-i717

Started with:
    openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-quincyatt.img.tar

Downgraded to:
    openrecovery-twrp-2.2-sgh-i717-signed.zip

In case anyone is confused, as I was initially..... here is what I did to get it to work....
    1. From TWRP 2.6.3.0, wipe & restore backup of 4.3, then shut down.
    2. Boot to TWRP, install openrecovery-twrp-2.2-sgh-i717-signed.zip from within TWP, shut down again.
    3. Boot to TWRP again, should be at 2.2 now, do a backup of current install.
    4. DO NOT REBOOT OR POWER DOWN
    5. Restore the back up you JUST MADE
    6. Reboot

So far so good, over a dozen test reboots and power offs, no issues yet.
    Hi,

Any help?