Phone bricked after an OTA update

Search This thread

u_ser_n_a_m_e

Oct 21, 2017
Sorry, I didn't know where to post this, but okay; I've installed an Oxygen OS update two days ago and I've had my phone rooted, my phone has been bricked since. Whenever I enter the bootloader my device isn't detected anymore by my laptop therefore I can't re-flash TWRP and now I'm completely stuck and don't know what to do, any help please?

Last edited:

fast69mopar

Oct 21, 2014
Waxahachie
Sorry, I didn't know where to post this, but okay; I've installed an Oxygen OS update two days ago and I've had my phone rooted, ever since my phone has been bricked, whenever I enter the bootloader my device isn't detected anymore by my laptop therefore I can't re-flash TWRP and now I'm completely stuck and don't know what to do, any help please?
You're best bet would be to download the full OOS OTA and then ADB Sideload the OTA.

You should find all the files you need on*
http://downloads.oneplus.net/

First, you download the full OOS ROM and the stock recovery for Nougat.

Then you flash the stock recovery (fastboot flash recovery <file name>).

Then you boot into recovery and select "install from USB" to get into sideload mode.

And finally you sideload the latest OOS (ADB Sideload <filename>).

It will take some time, but your phone should work after it.

FYI, keep in mind that you'll have to manually flash updates when using a custom recovery

Hope this does the trick for ya!

Good luck and happy flashing!

Sent from my SM-G955U using XDA-Developers Legacy app

dave457

Oct 22, 2014
London
Sorry, I didn't know where to post this, but okay; I've installed an Oxygen OS update two days ago and I've had my phone rooted, my phone has been bricked since. Whenever I enter the bootloader my device isn't detected anymore by my laptop therefore I can't re-flash TWRP and now I'm completely stuck and don't know what to do, any help please?
Assuming you have ADB on your laptop, does the command "adb devices" list your device?
I think your problem may have been caused by attempting an OTA update while using a custom recovery. I have learned this is not recommended.
Try and connect with ADB and if you can follow the instructions to sideload given by the other member

You may also like to check this thread

https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-3t/how-to/unbrick-unbrick-tutorial-oneplus-3t-t3515306

Last edited:

u_ser_n_a_m_e

Oct 21, 2017
Assuming you have ADB on your laptop, does the command "adb devices" list your device?
I think your problem may have been caused by attempting an OTA update while using a custom recovery. I have learned this is not recommended.
Try and connect with ADB and if you can follow the instructions to sideload given by the other member

You may also like to check this thread

https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-3t/how-to/unbrick-unbrick-tutorial-oneplus-3t-t3515306

It only lists my device when I'm in the booting process. Everywhere else, it does not

pitrus-

Sep 4, 2011
Östersund
www.wickenberg.nu
Use the usual Qualcomm recovery solution, it will work as long as you hold the buttons correctly and don't power it on, else you will not end up in Qualcomm preboot mode.

It's just like MTK recovery on Mediatek phones if you've owned one of many MTK-devices. ?

purplepenguin

Oct 31, 2013
Washington DC
OnePlus 8T

Yeah follow the unbrick thread
I just updated my own thread that has ULTRA-BRICK in the title a second ago for how I solved my issue haha

edit: if needed, can PM me too. I won't hold your hand, but since I just came out of the worst brick I've ever managed to do to myself, I might be able to help if you encounter the same things :)

pitrus-

Sep 4, 2011
Östersund
www.wickenberg.nu
Also brick is a misleading word, as you can't really brick this phone unless you tamper with other partitions than the visible ones, which nobody does as they don't see them. ? (unless your tampering with firmwares or trying to unlock frequency bands)

Last edited:

u_ser_n_a_m_e

Oct 21, 2017
Alright guys, I solved it. I just had to flash TWRP really quickly in the bootloader and install a substratum legacy rescue zip or something through TWRP, thanks for the help.