• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Phone bricked - Black screen

Search This thread

Potato997

May 20, 2016
Hello everyone, I have a problem with my Mi5.
The device don't respond and the screen is always black, also in fastboot and edl mode (I can recognize the device through cmd). I managed to boot it into both fastboot and EDL mode, MiFlash can recognize it and I flashed from both fastboot and EDL both China and Global firmware 7.5.4 succesfully but the device still won't boot.
The led does not lights up when I charge the phone and the screen is still always black.
The bootloader is unlocked, I tried to flash TWRP and it did it without problem. Then I tried "fastboot boot twrp.img" and it gave me no errors but the screen was still black.
What can I do? Any suggestion is apprecciated and also a paid solution would be ok if there's no other way, I would also be glad to donate to anyone can help me restore the device :).

Last edited:

SaumyeMehrotra96

Apr 28, 2016
delhi
it seems you are experiencing a "sudden death"...
its pretty famous for xiaomi mi5 and a lot of people have had it on different roms and firmwares... noone knows why it happens...
but i have followed the issue closely.. let me see if i can help you... msg me anytime you want...
try this link and tell what happens

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-5/help/mi5-suddenly-died-unable-to-boot-to-t3588666

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=71904721&postcount=1851

first link is for the thread that is dealing with this problem...
2nd link is for a person who had this issue and fixed it...

Potato997

May 20, 2016
Well, I tried to flash various firmware. China one, Global dev and Global stable but none worked. This night I left it charging and this morning it has a green led blinking. I tried to boot it with power button but it didn't work, the green led become less bright then the stopped blinking.
Now it's still the same as before.

Ange1ina

May 10, 2017
The exact same thing is happening to mine. 3 days ago it turned off with no warning. It's strange that it's all happening at once.
Discharging and recharging doesn't help. I tried that first. i've managed to get my pc to recognise the phone finally by using the test point method to put it into EDL, but like you, i just keep getting errors when i try and flash :(

Reactions: Potato997

Azazriel

Sep 21, 2008
I have the same problem, computer recognize bootloader driver, fastboot instalation works, try diff roms but black screen all the time. I change PMI8994 002 Power managment IC, pay aprox. 25€ + chip 5€ and phone works now.

shubuo

Sep 17, 2016
Try Combinations

I'm trying different combinations to turn on the phone it works every time but its totally harassing.

Force Xiaomi Mi 5 to reboot
If the display screen stays black, the trouble often resolves with a forced reboot . To get this done, you will need to press several keys simultaneously. You need to remain at least 10 seconds for the forced reboot to run. The key combination depends upon the versions but had to be one of the subsequent:

low volume + power button
low volume + power button + cough Home
high volume + power button
volume top + touch power + cough Home
touch power + cough Home

Top Liked Posts