Question Phone calls suddenly shut off / false screen touches / bad proximity sensor

Search This thread

raystef66

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
  • Just wanted to know if other users have this issue.

I do a lot of phone calls for my work and since I switched to this phone I can not make a decent phone call at all... lol
    Every couple of minutes or less the call breaks off. That is either because the other side can't hear me anymore, either the connection breaks off.
    Also noticed that when receiving notifications during calls, the screen lightens up so I do get false touches which results in a total chaos on my screen...

I already placed sim to other slot, tried all different preferred network type, rebooted...nothing helps.
    This is really annoying as on my other phones like F2 Pro and MI9 all ok.
    Anyone having the same issue?

EDIT : 16.04.2021 I noticed now that due to the bad ultrasone proximity sensor the screen lightens up and makes a lot of false touches resulting sometimes in a mute of the mic on dialer or even shutting down the phonecall itself

Last edited:

raystef66

• Yes, it has also happened to me that the screen does not go out when I am on the phone. If you take the phone away from your ear for a moment and then go back to it, the display goes off.
    Yea already am doing that often because of the screen lightens up.
    But did you also encounter a lot of false touches and even the call shutting off?

raystef66

• Check you up * # * # 6484 # * # * Light Sensor or calibrate.

This is related to proximity sensor
    Value is 5.0 when no covered and 0 when covered.
    Test is ok but in call screen didn't turn off.....so should be a softaware bug I think.
    Yea I already tested that before this post. It's working fine. No problem with that.
    Problem is that when receiving a notification the screen lights up and it shouldnt. I cannot find the issue for now.

Also and this is more important : when making a call, the line gets cutoff (people cant hear me but I can).
    This happens so often and never had this with my other phones running.
    Already unchecked 5G, even 4G and now on 3G. Same issue.
    Will look further into it...

osemoka

May 13, 2013
    Bydgoszcz
    Do you use always on display ? Maybe that's the cause? Maybe Miui optimization?
    I didn't put sim card from my f1 to f3 yet, but you are making me check this out. Ill put the sim card as soon as I get case and glass. On telegram I have not seen anyone to mention this issue.

Last edited:

raystef66

• Do you use always on display ? Maybe that's the cause? Maybe Miui optimization?
    I didn't put sim card from my f1 to f3 yet, but you are making me check this out. Ill put the sim card as soon as I get case and glass. On telegram I have not seen anyone to mention this issue.
    Nope not using AOD. Things are set to basic as to rule out issues.
    Saturday I'll be unlocked though and going to check the fastboot xiaomi.eu rom ;)

If you can make a test later on, do make a longer phone call. Also send a message to your phone when you're making a call and see what happens.

raystef66

• Had the same issue with my poco x3 nfc - same issue with the f3. I think either I got used to it with the X3 or it got fixed....
    Yea I read.

Anyway, the phonecall shutting off (other cant hear me) was all due to the fact that I accidentally muted the mic (or even false touched the red button or whatever) on the screen because of the false touches when screen suddenly lightened up.

The ultrasone proximity sensor is not the best solution to dim the screen when calling.
    You can even test that in kernel settings. The value 5 goes to 0 even from behind or from the top. So in some cases the screen will light up suddenly.
    On tweakers forum there are a lot of people who have the same issue with the proximity sensor too.
    An infrared sensor would have been much better....

Last edited:

lukesky

Mar 26, 2007
    Yea I read.

Anyway, the phonecall shutting off (other cant hear me) was all due to the fact that I accidentally muted the mic (or even false touched the red button or whatever) on the screen because of the false touches when screen suddenly lightened up.

The ultrasone proximity sensor is not the best solution to dim the screen when calling.
    You can even test that in kernel settings. The value 5 goes to 0 even from behind or from the top. So in some cases the screen will light up suddenly.
    On tweakers forum there are a lot of people who have the same issue with the proximity sensor too.
    An infrared sensor would have been much better....
    I have a similar issue. I use a pretty thick case and it breaks the proximity sensor such that during a call the screen turns off but after the call when i move the phone away from my head, it remains permanently off, like it still thinks the phone is near my head.

Which tweakers forum are you referring to?

raystef66

• I have a similar issue. I use a pretty thick case and it breaks the proximity sensor such that during a call the screen turns off but after the call when i move the phone away from my head, it remains permanently off, like it still thinks the phone is near my head.

Which tweakers forum are you referring to?
    That's indeed true. It happens that the screen remains black after moving the head from the screen during call. You can even trigger that when opening the sensor part in the kernel (tap on it for a few times and test the proximity sensor - you'll notice that you even can let it stay on 0 by slowly removing your hand...)
    But for me these false touches due to the screen lights up during a call makes it even worse.
    tweakers translate if needed - starts from end of page 6.
    Btw, I'm just using the case that came with the package.
    Anyway, since they fixed the haptic crackling sound issue on v1204 eu and having already no issues on battery drain (9%/h SOT and 0.4%/h idle) , the only issue for me remains the proximity sensor.

Last edited:

pepote666

Sep 26, 2016
    madrid
    If you pick up the call and wait 1sg or so to raise it to the ear, the screen turns off well, but if you pick up the call quickly it does not turn off, it may be a google dialer failure

lukesky

Mar 26, 2007
    That's indeed true. It happens that the screen remains black after moving the head from the screen during call. You can even trigger that when opening the sensor part in the kernel (tap on it for a few times and test the proximity sensor - you'll notice that you even can let it stay on 0 by slowly removing your hand...)
    But for me these false touches due to the screen lights up during a call makes it even worse.
    tweakers translate if needed - starts from end of page 6.
    Btw, I'm just using the case that came with the package.
    Anyway, since they fixed the haptic crackling sound issue on v1204 eu and having already no issues on battery drain (9%/h SOT and 0.4%/h idle) , the only issue for me remains the proximity sensor.
    For me if I use the case that came with the package, proximity sensor works fine , it also works fine if the phone is naked. but with a thick case, then it becomes a bit crazy such that i have to map the power button to end the call, else I wont be able to access the phone after or during a call unless i shake it hard

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Yes, it has also happened to me that the screen does not go out when I am on the phone. If you take the phone away from your ear for a moment and then go back to it, the display goes off.
      Perhaps you can bring this issue to Poco's attention directly via: https://c.po.co/global/

I would also like to know if it's a hardware or software related issue.
      I already did as for the haptic motor sound issue (which is fixed now).
      So lets wait for a response...
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone