Phone close to death, wait for OP9, or...?

Search This thread

kipue

Sep 3, 2009
Hong Kong
Hello friends,
I'm here for your opinion. My current phone, Mi 9 (got this for 2 years... Probably close to the longest I kept a phone, not because I loved it, just because nothing excited me in the meanwhile), is starting to annoy me with the USB port not working 70% of the time, etc.
So I'm on the lookout for a new device to get next month.
Choices are I think:
Mi 11/whatever Pro version will be (dev for Xiaomi is just OK, and there is really no accessories to find, and I'm a case collection wh*re ^^)
Samsung S21+ (I say byebye to flashing fun for a couple years)
Pixel 5
OP8 Pro (can find some good deals for it)

Thing is I'm thinking that OP9 cannot be so far off, but how will the price be? I'm sure I won't care for SD 888 so it's not really about the specs, I mostly worry about weither or not the price will be right.
I guess my days of new phone every year are gone as well, so would be good to have something with a bit of long term support.
So question here in OP8 forums, do you think it's going to still be a relevant device for a while yet? Or should I look in 2021 stuff?

Reactions: galaxys

ps000000

Sep 17, 2011
Nonthaburi / Bangkok
The good things of OnePlus devices are....
- easy unlock bootloader
- unbrick tool available
- custom roms/kernel available

You might wait the review of OnePlus 9 Pro , not sure when.
I have seen development in Mi 10 Pro forum in XDA not much development there.

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Hello friends,
I'm here for your opinion. My current phone, Mi 9 (got this for 2 years... Probably close to the longest I kept a phone, not because I loved it, just because nothing excited me in the meanwhile), is starting to annoy me with the USB port not working 70% of the time, etc.
Choices are I think:
Mi 11/whatever Pro version will be (dev for Xiaomi is just OK, and there is really no accessories to find, and I'm a case collection wh*re ^^)
Pixel 5

Thing is I'm thinking that OP9 cannot be so far off, but how will the price be? I'm sure I won't care for SD 888 so it's not really about the specs, I mostly worry about weither or not the price will be right.
I guess my days of new phone every year are gone as well, so would be good to have something with a bit of long term support.
So question here in OP8 forums, do you think it's going to still be a relevant device for a while yet? Or should I look in 2021 stuff?

Walt for the 1+9

Oxygen Updater: OnePlus 9 (rumour) round-up

All the info is in there that anyone knows

kipue

Sep 3, 2009
Hong Kong
Thanks all for taking the time to answer!
I somehow did not get notifications...
I've set my mind on the S21 Ultra for this time after all, my current phone is working terribly and need something new ASAP!

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Thanks all for taking the time to answer!
I somehow did not get notifications...
I've set my mind on the S21 Ultra for this time after all, my current phone is working terribly and need something new ASAP!

Lol u sure?

If you're in the US then fair enough, if you're anywhere else then it's not worth it, it's not the same phone.

It'll overheat, battery won't be as good, my OnePlus 8 Pro would outpace it by some way, the GPU is awful.

Avoid the exynos at all costs, even the camera processing is worse on the exynos.

Check before you buy

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
You could get the port and battery replaced.
I'd wait till latter in the year to see what rolls out. The economy is tanking so likely it will be more of a buyer's market.

In my opinion Samsung's latest offerings suck.
I wouldn't buy anything without an SD card slot.
The SD card makes an ideal data drive... yes a dual drive 1tb laptop in your hand.
A used good condition 10+ 512gb 12gb ram 4G variant can be had for around $600 at reliable seller B&H Photo.
This was Samsung's last good Note, running on Pie it's very stable, fast and runs well.
No 5G on this model means better battery life. For most 5G speeds suck.

Reactions: galaxys

kipue

Sep 3, 2009
Hong Kong
Lol u sure?

If you're in the US then fair enough, if you're anywhere else then it's not worth it, it's not the same phone.

It'll overheat, battery won't be as good, my OnePlus 8 Pro would outpace it by some way, the GPU is awful.

Avoid the exynos at all costs, even the camera processing is worse on the exynos.

Check before you buy
No prob, I live in Hong Kong. Sd888 here.

Reactions: dlads

kipue

Sep 3, 2009
Hong Kong
I'd wait till latter in the year to see what rolls out. The economy is tanking so likely it will be more of a buyer's market.

The SD card makes an ideal data drive... yes a dual drive 1tb laptop in your hand.
A used good condition 10+ 512gb 12gb ram 4G variant can be had for around $600 at reliable seller B&H Photo.
This was Samsung's last good Note, running on Pie it's very stable, fast and runs well.
Hmm I see what you mean.
I don't care for SD really. Most OP phones don't have them for a while and so do many. By the way, I cannot remember when was the last time I had a phone with an SD card slot?
Also my point is to be able to make good pictures.
Leaves me with Samsung, if we believe tests Xiaomi 11 or iPhone.
iPhone nope. I like the look of the 12 series, but stuff like my watch would not work well with that.
Xiaomi why not but I want a change. Also, maybe they are headed the way of Huawei?
OP9 may do good pics but will it be : good pictures but not great for a flagship story?

Yeah I could wait but I don't want to spend anymore on my old phone to repair it lol.
I'll see OP again at OP 11 I think!

Last edited:
Reactions: blackhawk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Even if you're in the States, I'd think twice about getting a Samsung (aka Applesauce)😁😉
    Hello friends,
    Choices are I think:
    Pixel 5

Lol u sure?

Check before you buy
    No prob, I live in Hong Kong. Sd888 here.

Hmm I see what you mean.
    I don't care for SD really. Most OP phones don't have them for a while and so do many. By the way, I cannot remember when was the last time I had a phone with an SD card slot?
    Also my point is to be able to make good pictures.
    Leaves me with Samsung, if we believe tests Xiaomi 11 or iPhone.
    iPhone nope. I like the look of the 12 series, but stuff like my watch would not work well with that.
    Xiaomi why not but I want a change. Also, maybe they are headed the way of Huawei?
    OP9 may do good pics but will it be : good pictures but not great for a flagship story?

Yeah I could wait but I don't want to spend anymore on my old phone to repair it lol.
    I'll see OP again at OP 11 I think!