• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Phone dead for no reason after years?

Search This thread

Vanta-Chan

May 28, 2015
Xiaomi Poco F1
This entire forum is probably dead, but I'd like to ask anyway.
I've got the same problem as other people in this forum.
It has an unlocked bootloader, LineageOS 18.1 unofficial beta and it's rooted.

When plugging the Z5P in the charger, it doesn't turn on. I've removed the backplate and unplugged the battery and plugged the charger,
the phone LED blinks red with the off time of ~3-5 seconds. Previously the screen logo flashed for a very short time but now it doesn't even do that.

Now when I plug the charger in and then connect the battery the moment when the LED is red, the vibration motor reacts 3 times and the phone stays off.

Connecting to a PC and doing any steps above, the phone does not get detected by the PC, so obviously there's no way to use any recovery tools.

Is the Z5P finally dead/chip fried? Can I do something with a dead phone or the internal parts?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
This entire forum is probably dead, but I'd like to ask anyway.
I've got the same problem as other people in this forum.
It has an unlocked bootloader, LineageOS 18.1 unofficial beta and it's rooted.

When plugging the Z5P in the charger, it doesn't turn on. I've removed the backplate and unplugged the battery and plugged the charger,
the phone LED blinks red with the off time of ~3-5 seconds. Previously the screen logo flashed for a very short time but now it doesn't even do that.

Now when I plug the charger in and then connect the battery the moment when the LED is red, the vibration motor reacts 3 times and the phone stays off.

Connecting to a PC and doing any steps above, the phone does not get detected by the PC, so obviously there's no way to use any recovery tools.
If the motherboard is not totally dead then you could try the option with QPST tool to flash the stock ROM in download mode (QHUSB-9008) just search for, you should have a long curve learning to do so.

The device has to be detected this way, but it may work or not, depending on if the chip is really dead or not.
Is the Z5P finally dead/chip fried? Can I do something with a dead phone or the internal parts?
In some countries is sold as spare.

Vanta-Chan

May 28, 2015
Xiaomi Poco F1
If the motherboard is not totally dead then you could try the option with QPST tool to flash the stock ROM in download mode (QHUSB-9008) just search for, you should have a long curve learning to do so.

The device has to be detected this way, but it may work or not, depending on if the chip is really dead or not.

In some countries is sold as spare.
Yeahhh, phone still doesn't get detected on PC, not really turning on. It's probably junk now.

Meitei

Sep 18, 2021
I just wanted to say that I got the EXACT same issue. I installed LineageOS 18.1 about 4-6 weeks ago and when I wanted to play around with the phone again a few days ago it wouldn't turn on or charge as Vanta-Chan mentioned.

It would be interesting to know if this simply happened because the phone is old, and to be honest the battery was already very bad at this point OR if this is because of installing LineageOS.

Because to be honest, that made me really scared of installing Lineage on other devices... I was thinking about doing it on my main phone (Samsung Galaxy S10) in the near future, but this has left me really scared.

Itroublve

Jul 17, 2019
Reading the issues y'all are experiencing reminds me of my old Xperia Z3, didn't want to turn on at all. Vibrated a few times with no display... No charging, led blinking with charger connected but PC won't detect...

The fix for my part was changing the battery, which did make it work. So most likely the same case and it's the battery, and trust me. Those knock off batteries are trash, didn't show correct battery %, and died after a few days... So had to get a new "original" one, no issues with the battery till this day

Reactions: Meitei

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I just wanted to say that I got the EXACT same issue. I installed LineageOS 18.1 about 4-6 weeks ago and when I wanted to play around with the phone again a few days ago it wouldn't turn on or charge as Vanta-Chan mentioned.

It would be interesting to know if this simply happened because the phone is old, and to be honest the battery was already very bad at this point OR if this is because of installing LineageOS.

Because to be honest, that made me really scared of installing Lineage on other devices... I was thinking about doing it on my main phone (Samsung Galaxy S10) in the near future, but this has left me really scared.
Old devices turn to act erratically, unpredictable behavior can appear.

Just one thing I can sure you, I flashed LineageOS (although is not my preferable one) in an uncountable number of devices, never had an issue like that. If you follow all the steps indicated by the developer, you wouldn't have any troubles at all being on this device or another one.

Reactions: Meitei

Meitei

Sep 18, 2021
Thanks for the replies... I might change the battery then, if it doesn't cost that much to let someone do it for me.

Meitei

Sep 18, 2021
UPDATE:
I had some time today and somehow decided to play around with my Z5 Premium.

Now... I might should open another thread if necessary, should this get too much out of hand based on the threads topic, since my issue may be more different than I thought.

Previously I couldn't get it to turn on anymore after the battery died, charging as well wouldn't work and I would get that LED blinks for a short period of time when I would try to charge it.

So for whatever reason I decided to charge my phone again and at the same time pressing the power button + volume down... I tried that previously, but today it worked!

What happened was: I got the charging screen + red LED light over and over again and once I stopped holding the buttons it would start to boot again into a similar screen I got when installing LineageOS 18.1, with the only difference being that I had the battery symbol showing up as well as only seeing half of the screen (left side) since the right side was buggy only showing vertical black and white lines (which I had happened previously installing LineageOS after booting into TWRP)

My phone is now fully charged and I was able to turn it on and everything looks fine so far, except for the colors especially red which looks really dark since installing LineageOS 18.1

Now, this seriously has me worried about installing Lineage on my main Samsung phone. Because right now I feel like this has something to do with me installing a new OS on my phone...

Kind regards
Meitei

edit: grammar

Last edited:

HorrorBest

Jan 17, 2021
I ain't no expert but there is a tool that you can buy and you plug it in your phone that will send you str8 to recovery mode or download mode, Idk if you are willing to pay like 10$ I think its not that mush to get it its a useful tool

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I ain't no expert but there is a tool that you can buy and you plug it in your phone that will send you str8 to recovery mode or download mode, Idk if you are willing to pay like 10$ I think its not that mush to get it its a useful tool
Probably you are referring to the EDL cable (it costs around 4 USD), I have it, and it worked with a defective device with a volume button not working properly. I have to add that on devices with locked bootloader it can be more useful that with devices with unlocked bootloader that have many more possibilities to send it to any mode you want without the need to open the back cover.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
UPDATE:
I had some time today and somehow decided to play around with my Z5 Premium.

Now... I might should open another thread if necessary, should this get too much out of hand based on the threads topic, since my issue may be more different than I thought.

Previously I couldn't get it to turn on anymore after the battery died, charging as well wouldn't work and I would get that LED blinks for a short period of time when I would try to charge it.

So for whatever reason I decided to charge my phone again and at the same time pressing the power button + volume down... I tried that previously, but today it worked!

What happened was: I got the charging screen + red LED light over and over again and once I stopped holding the buttons it would start to boot again into a similar screen I got when installing LineageOS 18.1, with the only difference being that I had the battery symbol showing up as well as only seeing half of the screen (left side) since the right side was buggy only showing vertical black and white lines (which I had happened previously installing LineageOS after booting into TWRP)

My phone is now fully charged and I was able to turn it on and everything looks fine so far, except for the colors especially red which looks really dark since installing LineageOS 18.1

Now, this seriously has me worried about installing Lineage on my main Samsung phone. Because right now I feel like this has something to do with me installing a new OS on my phone...

Kind regards
Meitei

edit: grammar
If the ROM in this case, LOS was built specifically for your device model, and it comes from a trusted source shouldn't damage your device in any way. How custom ROMs work with all the variants should make a difference on how they look, just, apparently. Anyway, check that your battery is not draining, or it is damaged in some way.

Meitei

Sep 18, 2021
If the ROM in this case, LOS was built specifically for your device model, and it comes from a trusted source shouldn't damage your device in any way. How custom ROMs work with all the variants should make a difference on how they look, just, apparently. Anyway, check that your battery is not draining, or it is damaged in some way.

I got the ROM from the thread right here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-beta-lineageos-18-1-for-the-xperia-z5-premium.4202705/

The battery isn't the best anymore, but I feel like it improved a little bit since installing Lineage.

The phone was charged to 100% on Saturday and currently, it's at 50%. And nothing looks damaged

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Reading the issues y'all are experiencing reminds me of my old Xperia Z3, didn't want to turn on at all. Vibrated a few times with no display... No charging, led blinking with charger connected but PC won't detect...

The fix for my part was changing the battery, which did make it work. So most likely the same case and it's the battery, and trust me. Those knock off batteries are trash, didn't show correct battery %, and died after a few days... So had to get a new "original" one, no issues with the battery till this day

Old devices turn to act erratically, unpredictable behavior can appear.

Just one thing I can sure you, I flashed LineageOS (although is not my preferable one) in an uncountable number of devices, never had an issue like that. If you follow all the steps indicated by the developer, you wouldn't have any troubles at all being on this device or another one.