• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Phone exposed to water, camera not working anymore

Search This thread

TheVergs

May 14, 2018
Last week my Galaxy s10e were exposed to salt water, right after it I did all the procedures recommended, and the phone was working fine, only problem was the camera that wasn't working. I went to a technical support store and they opened and washed the internal parts of the phone with
ethyl alcohol, then tested the camera and it didint work. After that, they factory reset and still nothing. At last, they replaced with new cameras, and after testing, still nothing! I was told that the problem is in the motherboard, and something about the sensors malfunctioning, and the app crashes because it's an defensive action to prevent overheating (since camera uses a lot of ram).

When I open any Camera app, it says "Warning: camera error". When I try to turn the flaslight on, it says the light is being used by another app. Altough, when I opened Instagram, the selfie camera automatically opens (before and after going to support), working fine! if I invert camera it crashes the app altough. I guess that the standard "Camera" app aways opens the rear camera at start, and because of that, I only see a black screen when trying to use the app.

I would like to know if somebody knows what could I do, maybe some system option that turns off the sensors that are disabling my camera, or to let me use only the front camera without crashing apps! I'm considering custom ROMs too, but not sure if could help me with anything.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Welcome to XDA🤗

The battery needed to be disconnected immediately.
First off RO water should have used followed by anhydrous isopropyl alcohol. Salt is readily soluble in water not as much so in ethanol.
All effected ribbon cable pulled and their connections soak in RO water and every part that the salt water touched.

Any electronic component exposed to salt water is likely toast. Salt water is insidious. If even a slight trace of it or the corrosion it caused remains the effected part will eventually fail especially switches and micro connector contacts. The mobo has conformal coating most likely which will protect it somewhat.
However all the microconnectors are at risk.

If only the cam module was exposed, replace it.
If the whole inside got it... it's likely already dead.
It's only chance is to completely purge the salt before it causes corrosion to form. Energized circuits, even just having the battery connected greatly accelerate the corrosion process... think minutes not days.

Salt water is the kiss of death to electronics...

TheVergs

May 14, 2018
Welcome to XDA🤗

First off RO water should have used followed by anhydrous isopropyl alcohol. Salt is readily soluble in water not as much so in ethanol.
All effected ribbon cable pulled and their connections soak in RO water and every part that the salt water touched.

Any electronic component exposed to salt water is likely toast. Salt water is insidious. If even a slight trace of it or the corrosion it caused remains the effected part will eventually fail especially switches and micro connector contacts. The mobo has conformal coating most likely which will protect it somewhat.

It's only chance is to completely purge the salt before it causes corrosion to form. Energized circuits, even just having the battery connected greatly accelerate the corrosion process... think minutes not days.

Ohh I see, thanks for explaining! :(

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
You're welcome. Sorry, it's not a pretty picture.
It may last a while but don't throw too much money at it. If the mobo or display fail, time to punch out.

Even with "waterproof" phones do not submerge them especially in salt water. You need a diving enclosure for that. For limited protection on boats etc use a zip lock plastic bag... they float and it gets splashed or takes a plunge it should be ok.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to XDA🤗

Welcome to XDA🤗