Question Phone idle battery drain

Search This thread

kodabmx

Dec 28, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 7 Pro
It might be. I haven't tried Greenify...
The latest update of Greenify was 2 years prior to the latest Naptime update though, so I assume Naptime is designed for a higher SDK target. I could be wrong, but it works. It even allowed my scheduled backups to run.
The phone used 18% battery over night including two complete phone backups, one to internal storage, and the other to a local SFTP server. They take just over an hour to do and the phone usually gets warm while they run, but I usually have it plugged in. Last night, I left it on battery just to see.
Generally, when it's in deep doze, it uses about 1.5% per hour.

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
Google Pixel 7 Pro
It might be. I haven't tried Greenify...
The latest update of Greenify was 2 years prior to the latest Naptime update though, so I assume Naptime is designed for a higher SDK target. I could be wrong, but it works. It even allowed my scheduled backups to run.
The phone used 18% battery over night including two complete phone backups, one to internal storage, and the other to a local SFTP server. They take just over an hour to do and the phone usually gets warm while they run, but I usually have it plugged in. Last night, I left it on battery just to see.
Generally, when it's in deep doze, it uses about 1.5% per hour.

So you assign apps for Naptime to force to stop working in the background? After doing so you still saw 1.5%/hr idle drain? R u in bad cell area? It's ridiculous that our p7p's use battery like this. Anything over . 4%/hr idle drain in 2023 is unacceptable and it should be lower than that when on wifi.

kodabmx

Dec 28, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Maybe you should get a Nokia 2280 - they last for weeks on standby but aren't terribly useful anymore :D

When I first kanged it, it was using 18% per hour... 3%/2 hours is alright for me...
I don't use it to prevent background apps, it just enables deep doze and Battery Saver when the screen is turned off... I could configure it to stop wifi/data/gps/location/google services, but I don't feel the need for that level...
I also don't f*ck around - I have a battery case for it. Wifi Debugging is usually connected, too.

Last edited:

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Maybe you should get a Nokia 2280 - they last for weeks on standby but aren't terribly useful anymore :D

When I first kanged it, it was using 18% per hour... 3%/2 hours is alright for me...
I don't use it to prevent background apps, it just enables deep doze and Battery Saver when the screen is turned off... I could configure it to stop wifi/data/gps/location/google services, but I don't feel the need for that level...
I also don't f*ck around - I have a battery case for it. Wifi Debugging is usually connected, too.

Ok thanks. You're using Naptime via root? It sounds like greenify's "aggressive doze" feature where it does exactly as the name suggests and dozes the phone quickly.

kodabmx

Dec 28, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Yes, I'm rooted... And I made a donation to unlock the experimental features.
Tonight, I will turn on all of the options (like dozing play services and disabling all radio and motion detection) and see how that is for battery life. OTOH, at that point, why not just turn off the phone?

Yes, I'm rooted... And I made a donation to unlock the experimental features.
Tonight, I will turn on all of the options (like dozing play services and disabling all radio and motion detection) and see how that is for battery life. OTOH, at that point, why not just turn off the phone?
I'm going to try it too, and I also made a donation. I set it to turn on all the options tonight, but it's not at night I lose battery. It's during the day that this months update seems like it's draining the battery super fast

Are you using BBS or accubattery? Do u have any listed wakelocks (if you're using BBS)?
I don't use any of those. I've had BBS and some other battery program but never did see much use out of them. It's this March update, The Feb version was stellar. I might do backup and wipe to make sure I don't have something hanging. In Top command, Surfaceflinger is using about 13% of my CPU. Never see that one up there before

I've had good luck with Ice Box. Put apps like Facebook in it. They will not wake up. You can set it up to only wake apps when charging. And you can put shortcuts to the frozen apps on your home screen. Kind of like they are disabled until you need them.

Reactions: Schroeder09

trevagreene

Jan 8, 2011
Melbourne
Yes. I lost 30% last night. Minimal apps installed. In a 5g area. All seemed to be used by 'mobile network'. This started around feb/march

Yes. I lost 30% last night. Minimal apps installed. In a 5g area. All seemed to be used by 'mobile network'. This started around feb/march
I never have 5G enabled. I set my Network to LTE. It's a phone. I don't need high-end gaming/streaming speeds on a phone, not to mention, when you're on the edge of a 5G signal, it causes battery drain and the speed is slow as heck

ericDraven77

Yesterday I set the option Adaptive Contection to "off" and disabled the App in my Options (Need to show System apps to find it).
Now my battery drain over night was 20%, which is 15% over normal before march update, but is 15% lower then before disabling Option and app.
Maybe sombody else could try and have luck with it.
April update hopefully solves the problem fully. Will reset my phone before the update and update then to have it back to normal battery drain. Till then I hope I can live with a bit higher consumption as it is now "OK" for me to get over the day.

Josh

Sep 27, 2014
Split
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I'm on March update TQ2A.230305.008.C1 factory reset and install Kirisakura kernel. On wi fi and some camera photos Instagram WhatsApp Facebook lite has 7 hours sot. Last night going to bed with 87 % and wake up with 82% disable adaptive connection,no wi fi no data nothing.

There may be something to disabling adaptive connections. I disabled it last night and put my phone on the charger while I was driving to work. Got there four hours ago and it was at 97%. I’ve been using it pretty good over the four hours and it’s at 90% right now which is a massive Upgrade from how it’s been since I flashed the March update.

Another thing, being in a low signal zone will cause battery drain, and the March update has absolutely destroyed connectivity and signal strength. I consistently have SiriusXM drop in places where it never did before. Phone calls dropping when I’m sitting at my house, which never happened before. Or trying to upload forms where I have two or three bars, and the upload just hangs.

Last edited:

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
Google Pixel 7 Pro
There may be something to disabling adaptive connections. I disabled it last night and put my phone on the charger while I was driving to work. Got there four hours ago and it was at 97%. I’ve been using it pretty good over the four hours and it’s at 90% right now which is a massive Upgrade from how it’s been since I flashed the March update.

Another thing, being in a low signal zone will cause battery drain, and the March update has absolutely destroyed connectivity and signal strength. I consistently have SiriusXM drop in places where it never did before. Phone calls dropping when I’m sitting at my house, which never happened before. Or trying to upload forms where I have two or three bars, and the upload just hangs.

What are the ramifications of turning off adaptive connectivity though? If I walk out of my house while I on wifi calling, lose wifi connection, and the phone has to switch to cellular connection for the call am I going to drop that call? Is it going to hang on dead air where I won't be able to hear the person on the other end of the line or vice versa?

What are the ramifications of turning off adaptive connectivity though? If I walk out of my house while I on wifi calling, lose wifi connection, and the phone has to switch to cellular connection for the call am I going to drop that call? Is it going to hang on dead air where I won't be able to hear the person on the other end of the line or vice versa?
That has not been my experience going from Wi-Fi to cell signal and those issues I visited with signal we’re happening before I disabled adaptive connectivity

Top Liked Posts