Phone Insurance for Nexus purchased through GOOGLE PLAY - only!

Search This thread

jdiddy_ub

Sep 20, 2010
Queens Village, NY
i know there are a couple of phone insurance threads floating around already but i felt like there needed to be a separate one strictly for the people that bought it through the play store...it falls under different warranty and its a different circumstance

for anyone that has/will buy insurance for this phone please list the company, rate (yearly or monthly) deductible, waiting period and if it excludes anything major that we may need (for example some policies dont cover loss only theft)

PLEASE ONLY post if you already own the insurance or have spoken to a rep directly...no speculation or assumptions...it may give people wrong information

i will start first:

i havent bought it yet but i spoke to a carrier rep that told me the nexus from the playstore is now considered "local" since google is selling it directly to the US which is why they will insure it properly

company: ensquared
rate: $58.99 1 year or $99.99 2 years
deductible: $75
waiting period: 30 days, claim can be filed on 31st day

Reactions: asheehanjr

bigmike75

Aug 16, 2010
Chicago
Insurance

I purchased my policy through Worth Ave Group. They are just a reseller (broker) as the policy itself is underwritten by The Hanover Ins. Group out of Worcester, MA.
Details:
Cost: $43.25
Term: 1 year
Waiting period: 1 day (bought coverage yesterday, in effect today)
Deductible: $50
Limit: $399 (per event, not aggregate) What this means is that you could theoretically file a claim for a phone that was spilled on, have it paid for and then a few months later drop it and have it paid for again ($50 deductible each time).

A few things to note:
Does not provide coverage if you simply lose your phone, it must have been stolen and a police report must be filed, if so. Also, if the phone was stolen from your car, there must be evidence of force-able entry: i.e. taken from a car with unlocked doors or open windows = no coverage.

Reactions: jdiddy_ub

jdiddy_ub

Sep 20, 2010
Queens Village, NY
I purchased my policy through Worth Ave Group. They are just a reseller (broker) as the policy itself is underwritten by The Hanover Ins. Group out of Worcester, MA.
Details:
Limit: $399 (per event, not aggregate) What this means is that you could theoretically file a claim for a phone that was spilled on, have it paid for and then a few months later drop it and have it paid for again ($50 deductible each time).

A few things to note:
Does not provide coverage if you simply lose your phone, it must have been stolen and a police report must be filed, if so. Also, if the phone was stolen from your car, there must be evidence of force-able entry: i.e. taken from a car with unlocked doors or open windows = no coverage.

i looked into worth ave group..best price by far...2 reasons why im hesitant to go with them

1. no loss protection (as you mentioned)
2. i was reading the claims q&a and it says for damages you have to bring it to a store first to get it evaluated and it seems like if you can get it repaired they will send you a check for the amount of necessary...and if its beyond repair they will need a letter stating so from the store... all this nonsense instead of being able to simply ship a broken device to them and pay the deductible...are you aware of that?

also...did you ask you them specifically about the device? my main concern is that they say they cover it, then when the time comes they give you a comparable replacement because its an overseas (unlocked) phone

bigmike75

Aug 16, 2010
Chicago
Worth Ave Ins

Yeah, I am not too concerned about the non-coverage for loss as I am pretty good about keeping my phone with me at all times. For the repair issues, I am aware of that disclosure and can live with that, especially when factoring in the cost of the insurance.

jdiddy_ub

Sep 20, 2010
Queens Village, NY
Yeah, I am not too concerned about the non-coverage for loss as I am pretty good about keeping my phone with me at all times. For the repair issues, I am aware of that disclosure and can live with that, especially when factoring in the cost of the insurance.

i just called them...are you aware that they don't supply you with a device...when you file a claim (and it gets approved) they mail you a check and you have to purchase a new device on your own

not a fan of that procedure

bigmike75

Aug 16, 2010
Chicago
Worth Ave

I'm not too worried about that. I actually prefer getting money for the phone instead of a replacement anyways. There could be a better model/phone available at the time of making a claim which I could then buy.

ra990

Mar 13, 2011
i just called them...are you aware that they don't supply you with a device...when you file a claim (and it gets approved) they mail you a check and you have to purchase a new device on your own

not a fan of that procedure

I haven't decided who to go with yet. But, I do prefer this procedure. If they just send me a check for $399 instead of replacing my Galaxy Nexus, then a year down the line, I can get the best phone available for $399, which I'm betting won't be the Galaxy Nexus. Think about that!

EDIT: Bigmike beat me to it, but yea, same point - completely agree with you bigmike.

jdiddy_ub

Sep 20, 2010
Queens Village, NY
I haven't decided who to go with yet. But, I do prefer this procedure. If they just send me a check for $399 instead of replacing my Galaxy Nexus, then a year down the line, I can get the best phone available for $399, which I'm betting won't be the Galaxy Nexus. Think about that!

EDIT: Bigmike beat me to it, but yea, same point - completely agree with you bigmike.

agreed...but i feel like since they are handing out money instead of a device they are going to make you go through hell to get it...no one likes to hand over money :)

2ndly...i have double and triple checked ensquared...they definitely cover the international nexus...i made it a point to distinguish the verizon model and stated that i dont want a SG2 or comparable phone as a replacement because i already have that and thats why im making the switch in the first place..he told me that comparable devices are only given if the customer is rushing them to locate a device ,if its been discontinued or if its not a popular device and you bought it from a small market company or carrier...which google obviously is not...i even got the reps name and a direct line (which i called)

im going to go with them...$59 for 1 year and it covers damage, loss, theft and many other things...sweet deal with a $75 deductible...beats my $7.99/mo and $130 deductible with tmobile

Last edited:

asheehanjr

Sep 5, 2011
Westfield, MA
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about getting insurance for my Galaxy Nexus but wasn't sure if Google offered any. When you sign up for the insurance through Google, do you have to call up or can you sign up online? Thanks!

DeezNotes

Apr 14, 2010
Baltimore
Since this thread comes up in a quick Google search, I figured I'd give my .02 cents while I'm in the middle of a claim with Worth Ave Group.

My phone dropped and has a cracked screen as of Sunday. I filed a claim via the website and waited 24 hours. No response. Monday: I sent an email through their website. No response. I called later and got a representative that said they received the claim. After the phone call, I got a reply to my initial claim. Tuesday: I get a 2nd response from the email I sent from their website. My first issue is not only are they not 24x7, but they also take 24-48 hours to respond. The customer service rep says we should wait 2-3 business days for a response. My previous claims with Asurion had a new device on my doorstep by the next day, so this is stark contrast in customer service.

I was instructed to get a quote from a local repair shop. Even though Worth Ave instructed me to go to a specific repair shop, they didn't seem to be aware of Worth Ave's policy. I was not able to get a written estimate nor did they send me the follow-up email they promised me. I still sent an email back to Worth Ave's claim department with the amount quoted. Most likely, I'll have to wait another 24-48 hours for a response on what I can expect next (maybe a repair of my device). If they agree to pay for the repair, reimbursement can take up to 2 weeks.

TL;DR: Don't go with Worth Ave Group if you expect to get a quick turnaround in case of an event. Time is money. Pay a little more for 24x7 service which will ship you a replacement.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i know there are a couple of phone insurance threads floating around already but i felt like there needed to be a separate one strictly for the people that bought it through the play store...it falls under different warranty and its a different circumstance

for anyone that has/will buy insurance for this phone please list the company, rate (yearly or monthly) deductible, waiting period and if it excludes anything major that we may need (for example some policies dont cover loss only theft)

PLEASE ONLY post if you already own the insurance or have spoken to a rep directly...no speculation or assumptions...it may give people wrong information

i will start first:

i havent bought it yet but i spoke to a carrier rep that told me the nexus from the playstore is now considered "local" since google is selling it directly to the US which is why they will insure it properly

company: ensquared
    rate: $58.99 1 year or $99.99 2 years
    deductible: $75
    waiting period: 30 days, claim can be filed on 31st day
    Insurance

Details:

A few things to note:
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone