Question Phone running hot and shutting down

Search This thread

stalls

Jan 20, 2011
Iowa
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Anyone ever notice their phone getting hot and shutting down features or even turning off? I know this might be kinda extreme... My 6 pro has been shutting down all sorts of things just to cool the phone and eventually shutting off. This has been happening while I'm in a sauna after working out with the lowest brightness on even. But my Note 10 plus never even mentioned anything to me ever even with full brightness. Thanks for the help

Full House

Aug 25, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
It happened to me once with a Galaxy S7 but it was in a heatwave that said I read on forums that several users complained about an overheating problem on the pixel 6.

As the chip is made in partnership with Samsung and it is well known that exynos chips overheat other than waiting for software upgrades or sending it back there is nothing that can be done.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
My 6 pro has been shutting down [...] while I'm in a sauna.
But my Note 10 plus never even mentioned anything to me ever even with full brightness. Thanks for the help
Interesting that your Note 10 Plus works in a sauna-environment. I would definitely call that an extreme situation where no phones needs to properly work, after all we are talking about an ambient temperature of ~ 65°C to 90°C, that's much hotter than even a desert. Most commercial products only operate up until 70° Celsius, Industrial usually up to 85°, Military ones even higher.

Personally I would never/have never taken my phone inside a sauna out of fear it might get damaged, after all it's a thousand dollar product. Treating it with care and caution is usually a wise choice, if longevity is of any concern.

Most smartphone (and desktop) processors can only take about ~100 Degrees Celsius (internal, chip temperature), before they throttle down into the abyss and try to cool down (to prevent permanent damage). But if they are in a sauna... there is no cooling down, lol. Afterall they lack a dedicated fan. As an example: It's a situation comparable with your ambient room temperature in the summer - if you have 30° Celsius in your room, but outside it's 40°, your room of course will not cool down, but heat up even more. ESPECIALLY not if you have several heaters on (= processor, display, et cetera).

That's why it's quite the achievement of your Note 10 to properly function in that kind of situation, that seems like a well-balanced phone in terms of heat/cooling. Props to Samsung in that case.

According to several reports in this forum, Tensor can get quite toasty, even in a normal environment. It shutting down in a sauna does not surprise me. There's probably nothing that you can do here, expect switch the phone or hope for a Google firmware update that lowers the coreclock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alekos

stalls

Jan 20, 2011
Iowa
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Never had this happen on any of my recent phones including my Note 10 plus and my buddy has a new 20 Samsung as well.. No problems for them or anyone else with their iphones and a few others while they are in sauna as well.. even my samsung ear buds murder this thing lol

Last edited:

San Diego

Jun 25, 2016
NOTE TO ALL POTENTIAL 6 OR 6P BUYERS: this is not a common phenomenon. Just want to put that out there.

I use GSAM bettery monitor (with the ADB mods) and it works great to watch the temp. Once or maybe twice it got warm (107F) when I was backing up the entire unit to my NAS (or vice versa). Ever since it gets warmer when I use it more, and then cooler when I don't.

mkouk

Nov 7, 2008
Manchester
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Anyone ever notice their phone getting hot and shutting down features or even turning off? I know this might be kinda extreme... My 6 pro has been shutting down all sorts of things just to cool the phone and eventually shutting off. This has been happening while I'm in a sauna after working out with the lowest brightness on even. But my Note 10 plus never even mentioned anything to me ever even with full brightness. Thanks for the help
I think you answered your own question buddy... The temperature in the sauna ranges typically between 60oC to 95oC. Your Pixel phone is designed to operate up to 45oC at extreme situations.

I'm afraid the problem lies with the owner in your case, not the device itself.

Reactions: Alekos

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
A Sauna?! A SAUNA?? Did I read that right? I .... I .... I just don't understand. And when my sister "washes" her Galaxy S20 under the tap, the first thing she says: "Samsung says it's OK! The phone is Waterproof and Heat Proof and Mud Proof!" ... ok the last two things are false but every galaxy owner I've come across thinks their phone can be used in a shower, hmmm....

Reactions: niko26

stalls

Jan 20, 2011
Iowa
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Again... I knew I would catch some crap for posting this.. but I'm trying to figure out why most and yes I said most phones do not have a problem including my old note 10+ and also my other friends phones and random people as well..

My Note would be full brightness and wouldn't even really feel hot. Warm yes and it would continue to work just perfect.. I even tried to put my 6 pro in battery saver mode which shuts down cores and it still could not last 5 mins at the lowest brightness.. My Note in performance mode and full brightness would last the full 25+ minutes I would be in there.

Looking for advice or answers. I've stated comparisons with the same scenarios with two completely different phones of my own along with others. One works great and another does not..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Again... I knew I would catch some crap for posting this.. but I'm trying to figure out why most and yes I said most phones do not have a problem including my old note 10+ and also my other friends phones and random people as well..

My Note would be full brightness and wouldn't even really feel hot. Warm yes and it would continue to work just perfect.. I even tried to put my 6 pro in battery saver mode which shuts down cores and it still could not last 5 mins at the lowest brightness.. My Note in performance mode and full brightness would last the full 25+ minutes I would be in there.

Looking for advice or answers. I've stated comparisons with the same scenarios with two completely different phones of my own along with others. One works great and another does not..
    My 6 pro has been shutting down [...] while I'm in a sauna.
    But my Note 10 plus never even mentioned anything to me ever even with full brightness. Thanks for the help
    Interesting that your Note 10 Plus works in a sauna-environment. I would definitely call that an extreme situation where no phones needs to properly work, after all we are talking about an ambient temperature of ~ 65°C to 90°C, that's much hotter than even a desert. Most commercial products only operate up until 70° Celsius, Industrial usually up to 85°, Military ones even higher.

Personally I would never/have never taken my phone inside a sauna out of fear it might get damaged, after all it's a thousand dollar product. Treating it with care and caution is usually a wise choice, if longevity is of any concern.

Most smartphone (and desktop) processors can only take about ~100 Degrees Celsius (internal, chip temperature), before they throttle down into the abyss and try to cool down (to prevent permanent damage). But if they are in a sauna... there is no cooling down, lol. Afterall they lack a dedicated fan. As an example: It's a situation comparable with your ambient room temperature in the summer - if you have 30° Celsius in your room, but outside it's 40°, your room of course will not cool down, but heat up even more. ESPECIALLY not if you have several heaters on (= processor, display, et cetera).

That's why it's quite the achievement of your Note 10 to properly function in that kind of situation, that seems like a well-balanced phone in terms of heat/cooling. Props to Samsung in that case.

According to several reports in this forum, Tensor can get quite toasty, even in a normal environment. It shutting down in a sauna does not surprise me. There's probably nothing that you can do here, expect switch the phone or hope for a Google firmware update that lowers the coreclock.
    I think you answered your own question buddy... The temperature in the sauna ranges typically between 60oC to 95oC. Your Pixel phone is designed to operate up to 45oC at extreme situations.

I'm afraid the problem lies with the owner in your case, not the device itself.
    A Sauna?! A SAUNA?? Did I read that right? I .... I .... I just don't understand. And when my sister "washes" her Galaxy S20 under the tap, the first thing she says: "Samsung says it's OK! The phone is Waterproof and Heat Proof and Mud Proof!" ... ok the last two things are false but every galaxy owner I've come across thinks their phone can be used in a shower, hmmm....